Anyone hear Smerlas last night?

Buftex

Last not on his radio segment, Fred Smerlas, between waxing poetics about Tom Brady, and George Bush, started talking about his buddy Jim Haslett (he says he still talks to him almost every day).

Fred is a turd, but he is pretty loose with his lips...he said that Haslett was interviewing with the Lions, but that Matt Millen would probably go with Mike Singletary, because he wants the NFL and NAACP off his back about his last hire. He also says that Singletary, who is as unqualified as a HC as Millen was for GM, just wants to do whatever would be popular. Apparently, lots in Detroit are excited about Singletary. I am assuming Smerlas was saying this, because Haslett gave him some indication that this was the case.

Smerlas went on to say that Haslett, "just wants to cocch" and told him that he is willing to take a much lower paying DC job, forgoing the 3 million he would get from the Saints if he stays out for a year, to get a job somewhere in 2006.

Is Haslett lobbying for the Bills DC job, knowing that Mularkey is pretty much a lame duck? Does he lobby for a 3 year deal as Bills DC, with the understanding that he gets Mularkey's job when/if he fails?

I heard that too ......

and it sounds like (to me at least) that Haz is sending a signal to the Bills that he dosn't EXPECT to only come here as a head coach ...... but is willing to "come home" as a co-ordinator.

I think I would prefer Singletary as our DC over Haz though ..... and I do believe a DC position would be a promotion for him. He'd just have to decide would his current position with the 49ers, a head coaching job with the Lions, or a DC position with the Bills be better for him in the long run.

I'd like to invite Kent Hull to that PC and just see him drop Haslett with one punch.

BAM !

Then pull another guy out from behind the curtain and introduce him as the new DC, while they carry Haslett out on a stretcher.

But, see..that's just me. I'm the big violent type who LOVES payback ! :lol:

I heard that too ......

and it sounds like (to me at least) that Haz is sending a signal to the Bills that he dosn't EXPECT to only come here as a head coach ...... but is willing to "come home" as a co-ordinator.

I think I would prefer Singletary as our DC over Haz though ..... and I do believe a DC position would be a promotion for him. He'd just have to decide would his current position with the 49ers, a head coaching job with the Lions, or a DC position with the Bills be better for him in the long run.

555224[/snapback]

The problem with good coaches is keeping them together for an extended period of time. If you bring in Hasslet you are almost gauranteed he will stay for a few years. If you bring in Singletary he could be gone in a year or two. I wouldn't mind seeing JH as a defensive coordiater either but NOT our hc.

555224[/snapback]

Hate to say it, but I think the Bills gig would be the least desirable of the 3 by far. Even with Millen as GM, I'd take the HC job.

I'd like to invite Kent Hull to that PC and just see him drop Haslett with one punch.

BAM !

Then pull another guy out from behind the curtain and introduce him as the new DC, while they carry Haslett out on a stretcher.

But, see..that's just me. I'm the big violent type who LOVES payback !  :lol:

555228[/snapback]

Only if the WWE announcers are there. "Here comes Hull with a chair. OH MY GOD!"

Smerlas went on to say that Haslett, "just wants to cocch" and told him that he is willing to take a much lower paying DC job, forgoing the 3 million he would get from the Saints if he stays out for a year, to get a job somewhere in 2006.

Is Haslett lobbying for the Bills DC job, knowing that Mularkey is pretty much a lame duck?  Does he lobby for a 3 year deal as Bills DC, with the understanding that he gets Mularkey's job when/if he fails?

555209[/snapback]

Hey buftex, just a question as I am not sure, but I thought that if he accepts a DC position, and it pays say $1M, then NO still has to pay him the difference, the $2M. Not sure if that is the way all contracts are structured, but I am pretty sure that is the case.I think that is there exactly so fired HC can come back into the league without it hurting them financially.

Hate to say it, but I think the Bills gig would be the least desirable of the 3 by far. Even with Millen as GM, I'd take the HC job.

555241[/snapback]

Why the Lions job? Then next year when Millen gets kicked to the curb -- and everyone knows it is just a matter of time -- the new head coach does, too, so now you're a ex-coach fired twice in as many years.

555241[/snapback]

I may agree with you ...... BUT ..... if Singletary is smart, he will understand that he has only been coaching for three years (I think that's accurate) and he just may not be ready for a head coaching job, especially with a dysfunctional team like the Lions. I can't really say that the Bills are any LESS dysfunctional than the Lions or the 49ers ..... but the "spotlight" will not be shining as much on him in a DC spot as it would as a head coach coming to a team (that I suspect) has less talent both in the locker room and the front offices than the Bills. Choosing between staying "pat" with the 49ers, and taking a promotion to come to the Bills may be a harder choice.

Why the Lions job? Then next year when Millen gets kicked to the curb -- and everyone knows it is just a matter of time -- the new head coach does, too, so now you're a ex-coach fired twice in as many years.

555262[/snapback]

That team has a lot of talent though. And who ever finally turns it around after all these years will be crowned King of Michigan. Rumors even have Tuna looking at it.

BAM !

But, see..that's just me. I'm the big violent type who LOVES payback !  :lol:

555228[/snapback]

I'd pay to see that, too. Any chance they could get Hull to snap Smerlas in half, a two for the price of one deal?

They're both scum.

I agree, I'm almost positive what you are saying is correct. NO still is on the hook for the difference.

Hey buftex, just a question as I am not sure, but I thought that if he accepts a DC position, and it pays say $1M, then NO still has to pay him the difference, the $2M. Not sure if that is the way all contracts are structured, but I am pretty sure that is the case.I think that is there exactly so fired HC can come back into the league without it hurting them financially.

555251[/snapback]

555251[/snapback]

Honestly, I don't know how all of that works. All I know is that Smerlas, when asked by Bob Matthews, "Would Haz really take a huge paycut to become a DC, when all he needs to do is sit out for a year, and get a free 3.6 million from the Saints?" Smerlas, emphatically said "Oh yeah, with Jim it is not about the money, he is a football coach, and he wants to coach...sitting around for a year would kill him." Now I know that this is Smerlas talking, but he claims to talk to Haslett every day...I have to believe, at the very least, Haslett doesn't think he will get the Lions job, and my own reading in between the lines, is that Smerlas was endorsing Haslett as the new Bills DC. Now, if it means anything, who knows...but Smerlas, the big oaf, doesn't pull many punches. I don't think he would be speaking on Hasletts' behalf, unless he had talked about it with Haslett first...

I agree, I'm almost positive what you are saying is correct.  NO still is on the hook for the difference.

555436[/snapback]

Correct. If a coach, GM, etc... is rehired the old team only pays the difference in contract value they are not on the hook for the whole amount. This no double dipping. And yes all contracts are that way.