In defense of Mularkey

Tolstoy

Sure, MM has made questionable coaching decisions, but what coach hasn't? Here is what bothers me about the anti-MM crusade going on here:

(1) If Donahoe has really done such a bad job of bringing talent in, then Mularkey had his hands tied and should be given a chance with some decent players. On the other hand, if Mularkey is such an idiot, then maybe our talent wasn't so bad, and Donahoe should be given another chance. I happen to think TD made more than his share of colossal blunders, so MM should be given a chance to coach another year or two. It is too damn easy to blame everyone.

(2) Last year, MM used to run WM inside the 10. This year, it is these stupid trick plays and passes. Does anyone stop to think that perhaps because our O-line is so terrible, MM doesn't have any confidence that running WM is going to work?

(3) MM handled the Moulds thing, in the middle of a losing season, fairly well. The inmates don't run the prison here.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping...HOPING that if Mularkey stays he hands over playcalling duties to someone who knows what the hell he's doing. I think Mularkey could be a good manager if he hired on some serious help.

That being said....

I read somewhere that Donahoe used to sit in the coaches box and influence gameday decisions. If that's the case, they REALLY need to get rid of TD and let us see what MM can do without interference form a micromanaging boss.

Sam Wyche

551991[/snapback]

While I'm fine with the idea, I don't know if Sam Wyche has the voice to be an effective offensive coordinator. If he can only "whisper" a certain amount each day, how on Earth would the guy be able to run a practice effectively?

And you can't very well just have him be the designated playcaller, because what decent O-coordinator would take a job where he knows he won't even get to call the offense?

I just don't see how it could work.

That's my thinking. One can only hope that if Gomer's being kept around that old Sam will take over the offensive playcalling.

551994[/snapback]

Mularkey needs to be a delegator, like Marv was. Wyche runs the O. A new DC runs the D. April runs the ST's. Organize the practices...go over the gameplan during the week and stay the F*#% out of the way on gameday.

While I'm fine with the idea, I don't know if Sam Wyche has the voice to be an effective offensive coordinator. If he can only "whisper" a certain amount each day, how on Earth  would the guy be able to run a practice effectively?

And you can't very well just have him be the designated playcaller, because what decent O-coordinator would take a job where he knows he won't even get to call the offense?

I just don't see how it could work.

551998[/snapback]

We'll see. We need a QB coach to replace Wyche. Have him hire one of his old QB's who ran that great Cinci O. He could radio the calls down to him from the booth. Someone who knows what Wyche wants and how to run things.

Of course, we're just speculating. We do know Mularkey SHOULDN'T be calling the offense.

God. If I was any smarter, I'd be a fan. :unsure:

Sure, MM has made questionable coaching decisions, but what coach hasn't?  Here is what bothers me about the anti-MM crusade going on here:

(1) If Donahoe has really done such a bad job of bringing talent in, then Mularkey had his hands tied and should be given a chance with some decent players.  On the other hand, if Mularkey is such an idiot, then maybe our talent wasn't so bad, and Donahoe should be given another chance.  I happen to think TD made more than his share of colossal blunders, so MM should be given a chance to coach another year or two.  It is too damn easy to blame everyone. 

(2) Last year, MM used to run WM inside the 10.  This year, it is these stupid trick plays and passes.  Does anyone stop to think that perhaps because our O-line is so terrible, MM doesn't have any confidence that running WM is going to work?

(3) MM handled the Moulds thing, in the middle of a losing season, fairly well.  The inmates don't run the prison here.

551977[/snapback]

Guys, you have to remember that we had countless handoff's to McGahee inside the 10 and 5 yard lines this year to no avail. Either Willis was not seeing the crease or the Line was not getting a push but clearly we could not run the ball into the end zone as effectively as last season. I'm not supporting MM in his use of Daimon Shelton going out for screen passes but i do not criticize the staff for passing on 1st or 2nd down in the red zone. They had to. When MM was in Pittsburgh, they would often pound the ball in there and when Bledsoe was here they were pretty successful. Some of that had to do with our opponents respecting Bledsoe more than JP or Holcomb. This year teams knew they could stack the box and probably bank on JP or Holcomb blowing it.

Bottom line for me is if they keep MM, I'm ok with it. , he knows what it takes to win NFL football games and he's now gotten some of the growing pains out of the way as a head coach.

Look, Mularkey had a team that had won 9 games and should have contended for the division title. He mishandled the quarterback situation from the get go. The team he coached lost to some of the weakest teams in the league, but then won a couple that would indicate that the team was not as bad as it was playing. His coaching in the Miami game, for instance, was worse than bizarre. There is a bottom line...and our record this year does not warrant keeping him.

Of course, we're just speculating. We do know Mularkey SHOULDN'T be calling the offense.

We know that as teh HC, he shouldn't have to be calling the offense. But I certainly don't know that he isn't qualified to be calling hte offense.

Considering that in his brief career he's twice called a top5 NFL offense, and in those 2 years he was working with Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox under center, I think it's silly to say that he can't call a game.

As for this year, I think I'd be more inclined to hold judgement until we see what he could do if he wasn't saddled with a rookie QB and a "franchise" back who's about 30th in the NFL in yards/carry.

Look, Mularkey had a team that had won 9 games and should have contended for the division title.  He mishandled the quarterback situation from the get go.  The team he coached lost to some of the weakest teams in the league, but then won a couple that would indicate that the team was not as bad as it was playing.  His coaching in the Miami game, for instance, was worse than bizarre.  There is a bottom line...and our record this year does not warrant keeping him.

552036[/snapback]

Amen...

There are better Coaches...period...

One of the biggest knocks on TD was Coaching selections...so we are going to keep one? MM is not ready for Prime Time...And no I'm not saying he's a bad Coach, I'm simply saying there are better Coaches and the Bills are risking yet another losing Season to find that out...Is there a single MM supporter who believes the guy has a chance in hell of outcoaching Belichick??? Anyone??

Did not think so...

Is there a single MM supporter who believes the guy has a chance in hell of outcoaching Belichick??? Anyone??

You can't be serious.

You won't be happy unless the Bills find somebody who is better than the world's best coach?!

That's just preposterous.

We'll see. We need a QB coach to replace Wyche. Have him hire one of his old QB's who ran that great Cinci O. He could radio the calls down to him from the booth. Someone who knows what Wyche wants and how to run things.

God. If I was any smarter, I'd be a fan.  :unsure:

552017[/snapback]

keep Wyche as QB coach and hire Norv Turner as OC.

He is a terrible HC but he is commited to a power running philosophy.

We know that as teh HC, he shouldn't have to be calling the offense. But I certainly don't know that he isn't qualified to be calling hte offense.

Considering that in his brief career he's twice called a top5 NFL offense, and in those 2 years he was working with Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox under center, I think it's silly to say that he can't call a game.

As for this year, I think I'd be more inclined to hold judgement until we see what he could do if he wasn't saddled with a rookie QB and a "franchise" back who's about 30th in the NFL in yards/carry.

552048[/snapback]

but can he do it with different talent allocations in Buffalo? Maybe he can call a good game if his offense has a certain personality that fits his mindset. What happens when those things don't jive?

but can he do it with different talent allocations in Buffalo?

Can this be reasonably translated to "Can he do it without an offensive line"? Cuz that's really the only difference I see between us and the Stiller teams he had rolling over people. Both had marginally effective QB's, big power backs, a quality WR corps, TE's who are better blockers than routerunners, etc.

If you give him an effective OLine to work with, I think he's innovative and fluid enough to work with whatever he has behind it. But if you stick him with that injury-riddled, ineffective, flag-magnet of an OLine he had this year, then I don't think he can be effective. But then again, who can? ..... besides Belichik.

You can't be serious.

You won't be happy unless the Bills find somebody who is better than the world's best coach?!

That's just preposterous.

552072[/snapback]

That's not what I'm saying Simon...

I'm saying give me someone who has a chance...

Mularkey is not that someone...

Mularkey should be fired for the single fact that he started Holcomb ahead

of Losman to win a meaningless game

Yeah and if he'd have put an injured Losman out there and JP further injured either his throwing shoulder or his leg, you people would be screeching over and over again about how he should be fired because he risked our franchise QB in a meaningless game. :pirate: