Ralph Back in the Saddle on Draft Day

Rico

The bottomline is this is Ralph's team, he put up the money to get the franchise, he brought Buffalo the Bills, if he wants to sit in the War Room on draft day he has every right to do that. 

My guess is all he wants is to be informed, and TD was to arrogant to do that.  TD probably was acting like he owned the Bills and made all decsions w/o taking to the man that writes the checks.  If I was the owner I would get tired of that behavior as well, especially in light of the on field performance.

549145[/snapback]

I have no problem with RW "sitting" in the war room, but that's not what it sounds like in the quote from the first post in this thread.

I have no problem with RW "sitting" in the war room, but that's not what it sounds like in the quote from the first post in this thread.

549149[/snapback]

It's not. What ralph said sounds very very dangerous to me, and could possibly scare away a good GM candidate. Although these guys are likely going to take any GM job offered to them. It's one of the truly great jobs in the world.

Wilson said he believes he needs to take a more active role in the team, rather than sitting back and letting his top football man make the decisions without the owner's significant input.

"I'm going to be more active," Wilson said. "I've been around this game for a long time. And I'm not going to take somebody else's word that we're going to draft this guy because he's a heckuva player. If we're going to take somebody in the first three or four rounds, I want to see him on tape.

"The last time I saw a player (on tape) we took first, with our first pick, was Thurman Thomas. I saw him personally." 

I honestly thought the same thing when they drafted him.  Young was probably the most talented QB I've ever seen.  It took smart guys like Walsh and Seifert to use him in a way that made him a HoFer.

548809[/snapback]

...and dumb guys to make a player just look like a Ho. :unsure:

ESPN2 is showing the FREAKING spelling bee. I may have to kill myself.

Of course it is all speculation, but I want to agree with this. It is not so much that RW wants to be sitting at the board having a discussion on all the options and granting permission, I just think that RW, like many of the team's fans, has bought into the hype one time too many, and got sold a duck when he wanted a swan (or perhaps a parrish when he wanted a swann, heh).

He wants to be in the loop on plans and directions the GM is GMing.

The bottomline is this is Ralph's team, he put up the money to get the franchise, he brought Buffalo the Bills, if he wants to sit in the War Room on draft day he has every right to do that. 

My guess is all he wants is to be informed, and TD was to arrogant to do that.  TD probably was acting like he owned the Bills and made all decsions w/o taking to the man that writes the checks.  If I was the owner I would get tired of that behavior as well, especially in light of the on field performance.

In Levy's book,  he talks about when he was hired as HC,  Ralph's wife called and asked Marv to be sure to talk to Ralph about the team and game and he did, my guess is TD thought he was to good to even report to the owner, he sealed his own fate.

I'm also encouraged the owner seems to be as pissed off as the fan base, because the GM/President and HC don't appear to care.

I hope Ralph gets a superbowl trophy some day

549145[/snapback]

More proof that Jim Kelly going to the USFL before coming to Buffalo was a good thing.

Hey Ralph, you wanted Rob Johnson in the playoffs and you got him.  Think about that before you open your trap about another QB.

548515[/snapback]

i dont remember rob johnson losing that game ...i seem to remember getting beat on a trick play homerun throwback.as much as rob sucked the next season that game he played very well.

I remember watching a video where Ralph looked pretty !@#$ing happy when we landed Dorenbos... no more boring flights home after a loss!

548699[/snapback]

All I need to bring up about Ralph and the draft is 1985. With the 1st overall pick the Bills took a DE who likely went onto have a HOF career, Ralph's choice was a QB that ended up being an 11th Round pick by the Rams who recently made headlines for drop kicking an extra point. :unsure:

i dont remember rob johnson losing that game ...i seem to remember getting beat on a trick play homerun throwback.as much as rob sucked the next season that game he played very well.

549277[/snapback]

No he didn't. He played like crap until the last drive of the game when he played heroically. We were shutout at halftime and his best play before that was taking a roughing the passer penalty by Kearse that led to Smith's one yard touchdown.

10-22 for 131 yards is not playing well by any stretch of the imagination.

No he didn't.  He played like crap until the last drive of the game when he played heroically.  We were shutout at halftime and his best play before that was taking a roughing the passer penalty by Kearse that led to Smith's one yard touchdown.

549351[/snapback]

But he ran ten yards in a sock!! That was awesome! In a sock! Do you know what it's like for a two-shoe person to have to run on a frozen field ten yards with only one shoe?! That shows what guts he had in that game!

No he didn't.  He played like crap until the last drive of the game when he played heroically.  We were shutout at halftime and his best play before that was taking a roughing the passer penalty by Kearse that led to Smith's one yard touchdown.

549351[/snapback]

Vs the stats that Steve McNair put up 13-24 for 76 yards, 1 INT, 0 TD proving that 1 game, good or bad, does not make a QBs career.

Truth be told RJ did enough to put the Bills position when to win when he left the field and that's all we ask can for. Hindsight being 20/20 is what allows us to argue he should of done more etc.

How can anyone say JP was a bad pick when we still don't know what he's capable of doing with some experience.  Most rookie QBs look bad in their first full year unless they have a great O-line and commitment to run like Pittsburgh had last year. 

That's easy. There are too many retards here who think they can judge how good a rookie QB can be with a bad OL, poor play-calling, and "veterans" who don't try as hard when JP is in the game.

Vs the stats that Steve McNair put up 13-24 for 76 yards, 1 INT, 0 TD proving that 1 game, good or bad, does not make a QBs career.

Truth be told RJ did enough to put the Bills position when to win when he left the field and that's all we can for. Hindsight being 20/20 is what allows us to argue he should of done more etc.

549362[/snapback]

McNair also didn't play well. I wasn't pretending he did, nor have I ever stated that one game makes/breaks a QBs career.

The defense put us in a position to win that game in spite of Rob Johnson's mostly horrific play. But we can sugar coat it with niceties like "he did enough to put us in a position to win". :unsure:

McNair also didn't play well.  I wasn't pretending he did, nor have I ever stated that one game makes/breaks a QBs career.

The defense put us in a position to win that game in spite of Rob Johnson's mostly horrific play.  But we can sugar coat it with niceties like "he did enough to put us in a position to win".    :unsure:

549372[/snapback]

Yeah we can also sugar coat that Flutie would put up stats simiar yet we win it's all because of him. The truth is football is a TEAM game and think far too often QBs get too much credit when their teams win and far too much blame when they lose.

Yeah we can also sugar coat that Flutie would put up stats simiar yet we win it's all because of him. The truth is football is a TEAM game and think far too often QBs get too much credit when their teams win and far too much blame when they lose.

549383[/snapback]

Flutie spent most of his time here being mediocre or worse. No doubt about that. One reason he's remembered for his comebacks is because he generally sucked on ice for most games against quality opponents.

I wasn't making a pro-Flutie argument - I never liked the guy and thought he was a pretty weak link on an otherwise strong football team.

I'll agree that QBs get too much credit/blame.

549383[/snapback]

Actually, the truth of football is an individual game played within a team concept completely controlled by non-team-member coaches. Water Polo is a team game. Very rarely, okay never, do teams win without star players, other players making big single plays, and great coaching. :unsure: