Ngata - After Last Night

PISSCHUNK

he didn't impress me much (showed no jump off the ball and didn't seem to have any fire in a huge game)...........it's only one game, but pretty unimpressive beyond the odd play here or there where he actually decided to try......he obviously has the skills, but it's a question of whether he has the heart and desire to play.......

sounds an awful lot like a high pick of the bills a few years back.......and we all know how softy has turned out.......

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he didn't impress me much (showed no jump off the ball and didn't seem to have any fire in a huge game)...........it's only one game, but pretty unimpressive beyond the odd play here or there where he actually decided to try......he obviously has the skills, but it's a question of whether he has the heart and desire to play.......

sounds an awful lot like a high pick of the bills a few years back.......and we all know how softy has turned out.......

545596[/snapback]

Last night was the first chance I was able to see him play as well and I would have to agree with you. All I've been hearing is that he is a rare combination of size and quickness, I saw the size just not the quickness. I was at a bar and we ended up leaving soon after he got hurt. Did he come back and play or did he remain out for the rest of the game, that injury looked as if it might be kind of serious on the replay. Afterall it was just one game and I'd like to see tape of some other games before really making a judgment but as of now I'm not sure I want us drafting him in April.

I have tape on him from their loss to SC, and I saw him disrupt plays from the backfield on well more than one occasion in that game.  I'm not sure which games you're referring to, but in what was the biggest game on their schedule, he came to play and was a handful for the vaunted SC offensive line.

545554[/snapback]

South Carolina has a vaunted offensive line????!!!???? :lol:

JDG

(I know, I know.... I'm just pointing out the stupid use of undeclared abbreviations)

What, in particular, did you see in his play that you concluded he won't be a very good NFL player?  I tivo'd the game last night, but I was out all evening, so I haven't watched it.

545545[/snapback]

I watched him for a few series. He looked to me like a tough guy to try to get around.

Well he's defintely a clogger and is strong, which I like, but as some others have mentioned he just doesn't show any initial quickness off the snap nor lateral quickness. Actually he reminds me a lot of Fred Smerlas :lol: which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Mind you, this was the only game I've seen him play in.

Stats don't really mean anything for most DTs. Many have about 20 tackles all year. The important thing is that they are tough run-stoppers and teams double team them to stop them. When teams needed 3 or 4 guys to block PW and Sam Adams I think you saw how tough a defense can be. They didn't have great "stats" in terms of tackles and sacks but their contribution was enormous. If this kid is good enough to demand double teams in the NFL he is worth a pick.

I have tape on him from their loss to SC, and I saw him disrupt plays from the backfield on well more than one occasion in that game.  I'm not sure which games you're referring to, but in what was the biggest game on their schedule, he came to play and was a handful for the vaunted SC offensive line.

545554[/snapback]

He sucked. Every time I see him, he does nothing. The thing that concerns me isn't his complete lack of pass rush, but his inabillity to stack and shed against much lesser competition. Another thing I can't stand is when he makes no attempt to rush the passer because he's double teamed. He needs to push that pocket, not stand there two yards from his blocker, trying to time a jump and knock down the pass when he's 25 feet from the QB. That's just not going to cut it.. Ngata is a big guy with a lot of talent, but from what I've seen he is going to need a lot of work to avoid becoming just another so-so Samorman DT. I tend to agree with the draftniks that have had him listed as a second round talent.

you can't have seen either of these guys play in college, right? williams wasn't even drafted.

545564[/snapback]

Well...

Williams was left Undrafted because he was notorious for not taking well to Coaching...It had nothing to do with his ability as a DT which was considerable even at A&M...Mel Kiper had PW the #1 Rated DT in the Country going into his Sr. Year...Pat was know as a "Freelancer" and it really cost him on Draft Day...I think it's pretty obvious his College Coaches spoke negatively about him and that killed his Draft status...But there was never any question that PW had big time skills that could project well into the NFL once he started doing what his Coaches asked him to... :w00t:

He sucked.  Every time I see him, he does nothing.  The thing that concerns me isn't his complete lack of pass rush, but his inabillity to stack and shed against much lesser competition.  Another thing I can't stand is when he makes no attempt to rush the passer because he's double teamed.  He needs to push that pocket, not stand there two yards from his blocker, trying to time a jump and knock down the pass when he's 25 feet from the QB.  That's just not going to cut it..  Ngata is a big guy with a lot of talent, but from what I've seen he is going to need a lot of work to avoid becoming just another so-so Samorman DT.  I tend to agree with the draftniks that have had him listed as a second round talent.

545964[/snapback]

Agreed, and I think there are better DT's in this Draft who will go after Ngata, assuming he passes all the physical exams...which is legit concern now I believe... :w00t:

He sucked.  Every time I see him, he does nothing.  The thing that concerns me isn't his complete lack of pass rush, but his inabillity to stack and shed against much lesser competition.  Another thing I can't stand is when he makes no attempt to rush the passer because he's double teamed.  He needs to push that pocket, not stand there two yards from his blocker, trying to time a jump and knock down the pass when he's 25 feet from the QB.  That's just not going to cut it..  Ngata is a big guy with a lot of talent, but from what I've seen he is going to need a lot of work to avoid becoming just another so-so Samorman DT.  I tend to agree with the draftniks that have had him listed as a second round talent.

545964[/snapback]

You are right. And Oklahoma was the perfect game to test him. Good running game with a NFL-type caliber running back. He looked out of shape and sluggish. He is a big guy, but I wasn't impressed either.

i watched play book and they broke down the redskin DTs and what they do. those two guys have a lot of strength and solid technique. i think we need a big DT who can play the game and kick but, our current guys are just not strong enough (save sam adams). i hope we get a couple of decent DTs in the draft and FA and have them play a role, not try to make the tackle all by themselves every play