Ngata - After Last Night

PISSCHUNK

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your neighbor called.  She said I should ignore her friend's re-tarded son because he's disappointed he didn't medal in same sex partner ball room dancing event at the Internet Idiot Olympics.

Get over it man.  I have faith you can do it.  It's just one event and there's always next year.

545414[/snapback]

Darin my monitor thanks you...it needed a bath :doh:

What Ngata will do is demand double teams in the ground game, and give you an occasional inside pass rush. The negative is he will take plays off, or give up pursuit on a play. Usually when he does this the play goes away from him, so it might not be a major issue, more him timing his rest appropriately. I know that comment might offend some but let's face it, not many people that big can fight 600 pounds of offensive lineman all game and not tire, that includes NFL players.

He might not have had the flash to impress some but neither did our former DT we so desperately miss. This defense needs a Pat Williams, and if that is what Ngata can become then he would be more then worth the pick. I also feel that in this game, compared to the rest I've watched, Ngata appeared overly hesitant. He was still holding the point well, but he didn't show the burst I've seen out of him. The story of him going pro to help his family is well documented; perhaps injury was weighing on Ngata's mind his final game.

I wasn't that impressed with him. He failed to come off a block on a big OU touchdown before he left with the injury. Clearly he is big and strong, but I did not see quite as much as I was expecting in terms of agility and speed, and this is the college game. In the faster stronger NFL, I'm not sure he will be a force. But he clearly is big and hard to move, which would still be an asset if he can stay focused and healthy.

I see him as being a notch below Ted Washington or Pat Williams, but clearly a useful player given the Bills D-Line problems. I would rather see a powerful athletic DE a little more than a tackle (in the Peppers/Bruce Smith mold, but obviously nobody that talented will be available), but Ngata could be a good first round pick for us. Hopefully the knee injury scares off people picking above us, and then never comes back again during his pro career.

That is of course unless TD isn't fired and is able to find a 5'7" wide receiver (no offense Roscoe, I know you can have a great Bills future. It just wasn't the smartest move by our soon to be ex-GM given the total team needs).

Something seemed a little off with Ngata last night. But the real issue I'm worried about is that he showed a complete lack of knowledge of how to protect himself on the play he was injured. DT in the NFL see rollups like like several times a game. Anyone just prancing around like he was without a sense of awareness is never going to last half a season in the NFL. I'm sure that is coachable, but I would have like to seen he already learned that.

All that said, I hope his lack-luster performance last night allows him to slip down to us.

apparently a lot of "draftniks" like him. if his injury is minor and he is unable to do any predraft workouts.....maybe....and i say maybe because i don't know anything about him.,.....but maybe he slips to the Bills in the 2nd round.

I've watched him three times - after watching last nights game, he'll be a nice pro, but I am not sure that I would spend a top ten pick on him. I remember watching a Warren Sapp, Richard Seymour or Tommy Harris and saying Wow - Ngata is a nice stuffer, but not a perennial pro bowler type player. I think he might be more along the lines of a Vince Wilfolk in New England - OK, but should contribut more when lined up next to a Seymour... Anyway - he's no Superman or quick fix.

What, in particular, did you see in his play that you concluded he won't be a very good NFL player?  I tivo'd the game last night, but I was out all evening, so I haven't watched it.

545545[/snapback]

I think he'll be a good NFL player, worthy of being drafted anywhere from 10 on, I just have seen him give up on plays too early and never have seen that explosive first step. For what's its worth - when Adams is motivated - he explodes into the backfield. In three games, I have never seen that from Ngata. What he does really well is hold the line and occupying some good space in the middle. A guy like him would make our LB's even more effective. What I think makes a DT really special though, 9worthy of a top 10 pick), is the ability to get in the backfield a couple of times a game to disrupt a play or two. The threat of that is a problem an offense has to always account for.

I think he'll be a good NFL player, worthy of being drafted anywhere from 10 on, I just have seen him give up on plays too early and never have seen that explosive first step.  For what's its worth - when Adams is motivated - he explodes into the backfield.  In three games, I have never seen that from Ngata.  What he does really well is hold the line and occupying some good space in the middle.  A guy like him would make our LB's even more effective.  What I think makes a DT really special though, 9worthy of a top 10 pick), is the ability to get in the backfield a couple of times a game to disrupt a play or two.  The threat of that is a problem an offense has to always account for.

545549[/snapback]

I have tape on him from their loss to SC, and I saw him disrupt plays from the backfield on well more than one occasion in that game. I'm not sure which games you're referring to, but in what was the biggest game on their schedule, he came to play and was a handful for the vaunted SC offensive line.

What he does really well is hold the line and occupying some good space in the middle.  A guy like him would make our LB's even more effective. 

545549[/snapback]

i truly think that getting a guy like this, even if he isn't that explosive, would solve a ton of the bills' defensive problems.

For what's its worth - when Adams is motivated - he explodes into the backfield.  In three games, I have never seen that from Ngata.  What he does really well is hold the line and occupying some good space in the middle.  A guy like him would make our LB's even more effective.  What I think makes a DT really special though, 9worthy of a top 10 pick), is the ability to get in the backfield a couple of times a game to disrupt a play or two.  The threat of that is a problem an offense has to always account for.

545549[/snapback]

That's why big Sam is an all-pro and a former top-10 pick: he's an explosive DT. We need a big run stuffer next to him--like Pat Williams or Ted Washington--to eat up space while Sam does his thing. A big run stuffer can be had in a later round.

What, in particular, did you see in his play that you concluded he won't be a very good NFL player? 

545545[/snapback]

I believe his post stated "He'll be a nice pro." He just doesn't think he'll be a top ten pick. Last night was the first night I saw him play since I don't spend a lot of time watching college football. If I had to base it on last night up until he got hurt I'm not sure I would spend a top ten pick either but I'd love to see him in some other games. JMO