If TD is Incompetent

Casey D

I find some of the posts inconsistent on the JP subject. The consensus is that TD is a bad GM. He's done some good things, but way more bad than good and the record seems to support that.

JP is TD's brainchild. If TD is a dud in most peoples' opinion, why is his judgment in selecting JP considered so solid--i.e., just let JP play and he will lead us to the SB one day.

I personally thought JP was showing improvement during his second tour of duty, so I'd like to see him play. But it is ironic that some of the same people who adamantly are calling for TD's head, are equally incensed that his chosen one--JP--is not getting to play enough... CD

Guest BackInDaDay
I find some of the posts inconsistent on the JP subject.  The consensus is that TD is a bad GM.  He's done some good things, but way more bad than good and the record seems to support that.

JP is TD's brainchild.  If TD is a dud in most peoples' opinion, why is his judgment in selecting JP considered so solid--i.e., just let JP play and he will lead us to the SB one day.

I personally thought JP was showing improvement during his second tour of duty, so I'd like to see him play.  But it is ironic that some of the same people who adamantly are calling for TD's head, are equally incensed that his chosen one--JP--is not getting to play enough... CD

543982[/snapback]

It could have been Manning, Rothlesburger (?), Rivers or Schaub.

It's not about the pick, it's about what has OBD done to support the investment of a 1st round pick. As GM and team President, it's Donahoe's responsibility to insure that the investment pays off. Were his coaches even aware of his plans? Who knows. Unless his hands are tied by Wilson, Donahoe should helped build a team that could support this crucial draft pick.

JP is TD's brainchild.

543982[/snapback]

The entire premise of your topic is based strictly on this statement. I think it's a pretty broad statement as I highly doubt that TD, and TD alone, evaluated and tested and ultimately said "JP is my future." He has people working for him and helping him make his decisions, so to hang this solely on TD is not really fair.

Based on your position, the person to really blame is Ralph Wilson since he hired people like TD and his staff to make these choices for him.

I find some of the posts inconsistent on the JP subject.  The consensus is that TD is a bad GM.  He's done some good things, but way more bad than good and the record seems to support that.

JP is TD's brainchild.  If TD is a dud in most peoples' opinion, why is his judgment in selecting JP considered so solid--i.e., just let JP play and he will lead us to the SB one day.

I personally thought JP was showing improvement during his second tour of duty, so I'd like to see him play.  But it is ironic that some of the same people who adamantly are calling for TD's head, are equally incensed that his chosen one--JP--is not getting to play enough... CD

543982[/snapback]

to remain consistent we should lose faith in every guy that Tom brought to the team........or stop saying he should be fired.......consistency at its finest.

If TD had not drafted JP, he would've been selected in the next five picks by StL, Dal, or GB.

544060[/snapback]

I doubt it. Dallas desperatly needed a running back. If Dallas wanted a qb they wouldn't have traded with us. They needed a rb and to stockpile picks. The packers were in need of cornerback or any kind of defensive help they could use, and the rams have bulger, and needed a rb. Also could've used offensive line help.

I dont think Losman was worth reaching back up into the 1st rd for. It's easier to say we should've chose so and so, so I'll leave that out, but we would've been better off staying put and keeping our 1st rd pick for last years draft and our 2nd and 5th in 2004, and taking another qb or losman who still could've fell to us in the 2nd.

I doubt it.  Dallas desperatly needed a running back. If Dallas wanted a qb they wouldn't have traded with us.  They needed a rb and to stockpile picks. The packers were in need of cornerback or any kind of defensive help they could use, and  the rams have bulger, and needed a rb. Also could've used offensive line help.

I dont think Losman was worth reaching back up into the 1st rd for.  It's easier to say we should've chose so and so,  so I'll leave that out, but we would've been better off staying put and keeping our 1st rd pick for last years draft and our 2nd and 5th in 2004, and taking another qb or losman who still could've fell to us in the 2nd.

544105[/snapback]

GB would have selected Losman....they were very high on him...Thats why the Bills had to jump ahead of them to draft him....

GB would have selected Losman....they were very high on him...Thats why the Bills had to jump ahead of them to draft him....

544123[/snapback]

TD wanted big ben

pitt took him

TD panicked, moved up and went for JP

i still like JP and believe he will be good

i also believe TDs drafts have not been fruitful but he has done above average in Free Agency

Conclusion- fire TD

TD wanted big ben

pitt took him

TD panicked, moved up and went  for JP

i still like JP and believe he will be good

i also believe TDs drafts have not been fruitful but he has done above average in Free Agency

Conclusion- fire TD

544318[/snapback]

Aaron Schobel, Willis MaGahee, Lee Evans, Tim Anderson, Justin Bannan, Jason Peters, Roscoe Parrish, and several others

Aaron Schobel, Willis MaGahee, Lee Evans, Tim Anderson, Justin Bannan, Jason Peters, Roscoe Parrish, and several others

544342[/snapback]

Jason Peters wasn't drafted, and other then being way over hyped by bills fans really hasn't done much. He's just managed not to suck. He's a good athlete. Still not sure about him as a tackle. I still believe he'd be better off primarly used as a blocking te. Tim Adnerson and Bannan are nice rotational players at best. I think Bannan would make a decent 3-4 defensive end. Evans is explosive playmaker, he's yet to prove he can be a true #1. Aaron schobel has a non stop motor (heh doesn't every white defensive end?) I like him more then I used to, but I'd like to see a true pass rusher opposite him. I love Willis Mcgahee but he's been terribly inconsistent this year. the 1st half of the year he was on pace for 1500+ yards since the ne game he's hit the crapper. I think this is mostly due to the guards who are unable to pull and the absence of mike williams.

543982[/snapback]

Do I get credit for thinking TD sucks AND JP is a first-round bust? :lol:

I don't think TD is incompetent in the least. Every GM makes some good decisions and some bad decisions. There is no oracle that a GM can consult that will tell him if a decision he's about to make is a good one or a bad one. TD has made lots of decisions as GM of the Bills. He's had input from staff people at one Bills Drive, some of whom he has hired. A number of those decisions that have turned out to be wrong also turned out to be pretty important. The biggest was the hiring of Gregg Williams. Gregg Williams may yet turn out to be a decent head coach some day. I think it almost a no brainer that he'll get another shot. He just wasn't ready. The Gregg Williams era delayed the rebuilding of a winning tradition, and may ultimately cost Donahoe his job.

There were other decisions that turned out ultimately to be bad. Acquiring Bledsoe was probably on balance a bad decisin, but there were good things about it. He was great for ticket sales when the Bills sorely needed a boost in that area. He probably was not as washed up as he appeared to be in Buffalo, the evidence being a better overall performance in Dallas. Buffalo, with its recent history of terrible offensive line play was not a good fit for the immobile one. Then there was the drafting of Mike Williams. It's difficult to say Donahoe should have known better. Williams was very well regarded coming out of college.

What it amounts to is that there is a certain amount of luck that goes into being a successful GM, and Donahoe has had more bad than good. He has not helped himself with some unwise words about fans. Fans can be temperamental. They can be downright rude sometimes, but a GM needs to know that football is fan driven. If you don't at least appear to respect them, you are dead meat. Moreover, Donahoe appears to be just about as arrogant and controlling as his reputation suggests. His defensiveness has built something of a fortress mentality at OBD.

I'm not suggesting that Donahoe should not be fired. Whether luck or skill, a GM must ultimately be accountable to the success of the team on the field or lack thereof, and the Bills have had far too little.

On the other hand if Ralph Wilson chooses not to fire him, it doesn't, as some fans suggest, doom the team to mediocrity in the future. Donahoe's luck could turn around and the decisions he makes in the coming offseason could be just what the Bills need to turn things around. Moreover, Losman could be ready to blossom next season and embark on a multi-probowl career. I'm not predicting it. I'm not predicting it won't happen either. We just don't know.

I don't think TD is incompetent in the least.  Every GM makes some good decisions and some bad decisions.  There is no oracle that a GM can consult that will tell him if a decision he's about to make is a good one or a bad one.   TD has made lots of decisions as GM of the Bills.  He's had input from staff people at one Bills Drive, some of whom he has hired.  A number of those decisions that have turned out to be wrong also turned out to be pretty important.  The biggest was the hiring of Gregg Williams.  Gregg Williams may yet turn out to be a decent head coach some day.  I think it almost a no brainer that he'll get another shot.  He just wasn't ready.  The Gregg Williams era delayed the rebuilding of a winning tradition, and may ultimately cost Donahoe his job. 

There were other decisions that turned out ultimately to be bad.  Acquiring Bledsoe was probably on balance a bad decisin, but there were good things about it.  He was great for ticket sales when the Bills sorely needed a boost in that area.  He probably was not as washed up as he appeared to be in Buffalo, the evidence being a better overall performance in Dallas.  Buffalo, with its recent history of terrible offensive line play was not a good fit for the immobile one.  Then there was the drafting of Mike Williams.  It's difficult to say Donahoe should have known better.  Williams was very well regarded coming out of college.

What it amounts to is that there is a certain amount of luck that goes into being a successful GM, and Donahoe has had more bad than good.  He has not helped himself with some unwise words about fans.  Fans can be temperamental.  They can be downright rude sometimes, but a GM needs to know that football is fan driven.  If you don't at least appear to respect them, you are dead meat.  Moreover, Donahoe appears to be just about as arrogant and controlling as his reputation suggests.  His defensiveness has built something of a fortress mentality at OBD.

I'm not suggesting that Donahoe should not be fired.  Whether luck or skill, a GM must ultimately be accountable to the success of the team on the field or lack thereof, and the Bills have had far too little.

On the other hand if Ralph Wilson chooses not to fire him, it doesn't, as some fans suggest, doom the team to mediocrity in the future.  Donahoe's luck could turn around and the decisions he makes in the coming offseason could be just what the Bills need to turn things around.  Moreover, Losman could be ready to blossom next season and embark on a multi-probowl career.  I'm not predicting it.  I'm not predicting it won't happen either.  We just don't know.

544404[/snapback]

Very nice post. TD's had more bad luck than anything (as far as players/FA/draft go).

If anyone in Bills leadership gets another chance after this season, I hope it's TD.

I

There were other decisions that turned out ultimately to be bad.  Acquiring Bledsoe was probably on balance a bad decisin, but there were good things about it.  He was great for ticket sales when the Bills sorely needed a boost in that area.  He probably was not as washed up as he appeared to be in Buffalo, the evidence being a better overall performance in Dallas.  Buffalo, with its recent history of terrible offensive line play was not a good fit for the immobile one.  Then there was the drafting of Mike Williams.  It's difficult to say Donahoe should have known better.  Williams was very well regarded coming out of college.

544404[/snapback]

Acquiring Bledsoe was OK. Teflon's problem was extending Drew with an $8 mil cash bonus after he proved he wasn't teh long term answer at QB.

No- it's not diificult to say

Teflon should have known not to invest $40 million in an overweight, motivationally challenged player pushing 400 pounds who has never played the critical LT - even though he moved well for his size (but not well enough to pass block in the NFL).