Chronicles of Narnia

rockpile

I have to say it is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.

Anyone else have an opinion? It has not been talked about for a few weeks.

I think that if this movie does not move your emotions and entertain you, you either really dislike fantasy or you are made of stone. :lol:

I liked it, but I did think it was a little slow moving at first. I've never read the books, but I thought it was a good movie. I tend to rate movies like this against my favorite of all time, Lord of the Rings, and I wouldn't rate it in that category. I did like it, and I will probably buy it when it comes to DVD. By the way, my kids loved it.

I have read the original seven book series a few times. The movie stayed true enough to the original, that looking for variances would be picking nits. :lol:

It did start a bit slowly, but I think they wanted to stress the isolation of the children, the mystery of the wardrobe, and the rivalry among the boys.

Certain events in LOTR moved me, but I found myself getting a bit choked up BEFORE a few things in Narnia happened. Maybe because it was children and not Hobbits.

I put it on LOTR level, but that is only my opinion. :huh:

BTW: Narnia did another $30M this weekend!!

I liked it, but I did think it was a little slow moving at first.  I've never read the books, but I thought it was a good movie.  I tend to rate movies like this against my favorite of all time, Lord of the Rings, and I wouldn't rate it in that category.  I did like it, and I will probably buy it when it comes to DVD.  By the way, my kids loved it.

543055[/snapback]

I think I was the first to report on it.

I saw Narnia the first week it was out.

Mike

543495[/snapback]

I did mention it had not been talked about for a few weeks (did a Narnia search before I started). You wrote a nice review, buck, and then the thread fizzled, as this one is quickly doing. :lol:

I thought maybe starting a new thread would start new conversation. 0:)

My matinee tix were $6.

Saw it with the entire family yesterday.  I thought it was very well done.  Good story, and because children were the focus all three kids (6-17) enjoyed the movie.  My guess...to be continued.

Well worth the $2.75 matinee ticket.

543242[/snapback]

Where do yo work? I wish my company gave out movie & football tickets! But I'm in LA and the only time anyone goes to the games out here is when a team is winning and then they show up late and leave early. And why don't we have a NFL team?

For those of you that have seen it, do you think that it would be too scary for a 3 and 1/2 year old. We were thinking of taking my son, but thought that it might be too much for him.

Let me know what you think.

For those of you that have seen it, do you think that it would be too scary for a 3 and 1/2 year old.  We were thinking of taking my son, but thought that it might be too much for him.

Let me know what you think.

544796[/snapback]

If he can handle the scenes from Lion King he should be okay. The Lion in Narnia scene can be pretty intense.

I think that if this movie does not move your emotions and entertain you, you either really dislike fantasy or you are made of stone.  :doh:

543052[/snapback]

It was a very good movie, as was the new Harry Potter- which I thought was the better of the two

I think that if this movie does not move your emotions and entertain you, you either really dislike fantasy or you are made of stone.  ;)

543052[/snapback]

I just saw this yesterday. It was very good! The special effects were awesome too.

I think that if this movie does not move your emotions and entertain you, you either really dislike fantasy or you are made of stone.  :unsure:

543052[/snapback]

I'm glad you brought this movie up again. I have been all about seeing King Kong this winter, but I did see Narnia on it's opening night as well, and I never gave my review of it here.

I had been looking forward to seeing this movie, but I did have some reservations about seeing it. I thought Disney was smart for keeping the running time at 2 hours & 15 minutes. However I now wish that the film had been a little bit longer.

The Chronicles of Narnia is a very good movie. I liked the setup early on with the bombing of England during the WWII era. The kids were all good, but it's Georgie Hensley(Lucy) & Skandar Keynes(Edmund) who give the best performances.

Tilda Swinton is perfect as the White Witch.

There are some slight changes from the book, but they take nothing away from them. I liked the presents being given to the kids by Father Christmas.

The cgi has it's ups and downs. Aslan and the beaver family look just ok. I was very impressed with the wolves, they had very threatening dark voices, and their lip movements when they spoke were great. The centaurs and griffons looked good, the minotaurs were fantastic and the effects of Mr. Tumnus were great.

I have to say I was most impressed with the big battle. Seeing all of those creatures coming at each other from both sides was a great job of cgi work.

I especially liked the idea that both armies did not have specifically creatures that by just looking at them you could tell which were good and which were bad.

In other words the good forces were not just cute and cuddly animals, and the Witches army were all ugly and evil looking. There were polar bears, wolves, and white tigers on the witch's side also. Nice touch.

The main reason why I think the movie should have been longer is mainly because there could be more explanation early on when the kids arrive in Narnia, as there is in the book.

I am glad to see that this movie has done great at the box office which more likely means that Disney will now go ahead and continue to make more of the Narnia stories into movies. One thing that is helpful about the Narnia stories unlike the Harry Potter books, is tha they do not have to worry about the actors getting older. Since the Narnia books introduce new main characters.

I love Lord of the Rings and I hope that people do not try to compare this movie to that. They are completely different, and both good on their own levels.

I hope there is a sequel. I have read that the movie cost $150 million to make and close to another $100 million to promote (movielords.com).

So far it has grossed about $225 million - but that is ONLY counting ticket sales (hollywood.com/movies).

I hope there is a sequel. I have read that the movie cost $150 million to make and close to another $100 million to promote (movielords.com).

So far it has grossed about $225 million - but that is ONLY counting ticket sales (hollywood.com/movies).

550256[/snapback]

It'll become HUGELY profitable when released on DVD...

I saw it tonight and was very pleased. I took my 6 and 7 year old boys, and was impressed how many of the scenes were done to get the point across, but not be overly graphic. I was impressed with the witch. A very similar concept to the devil in the Passion of the Christ. An intriguing mix between beauty and evil. I certainly hope they continue the series. As I remember from reading the books, the first three are the best, and the last 4 started to drag a little. Perhaps they could somehow condense it into fewer than 7 films.

I saw it Saturday. I bought the book a few weeks before, and read it in less time than the movie took - it's a thin text, for reading by a child. As a previous poster said, the flick was pretty close to the book.

I enjoyed the movie - and the prefacing to the book text had descriptions of a host of characters not revealed in Narnia!

So, more coming... :doh:

550256[/snapback]

Wow, so not much different than Serenity which cost $39M to make/promote and brought in about $35M in ticket sales.

Serenity is still ranked #3, Firefly #4.

Maybe there WILL be a sequel of that too ;)

CW