Chris Mortensen say..

bernie

Chris Mortensen: (12:05 PM ET ) .... I think sometimes it just ain't your year.

539087[/snapback]

:huh:

Did he really say that? That's a great line. Everything that surrounds this team has the air of the surreal, don't it? :lol: I'm gonna kick back and enjoy the comedy of these next two weeks.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mortensen's repliies indicate to me that he's on the defensive. And as far as Ralph not being able to find someone "qualified", I guess maybe

he shouldn't have taken a chance on that unknown Bill Polian guy.

Besides, I doesn't matter who is in the GM and HC offices. In the NFL,

it's win and you're in. Lose.............

Chris Phoenix,AZ: Chris I usually like what you write but "running off highly qualified guys like Tom Donahoe"? He had the opportunity to hire John Fox or Marvin Lewis and came up with Greg Williams. He had the chance to go after Charlie Weis or Romeo Crenell and came up with Mike Mularky. He has ignored both offensive and defensive lines for 5 years. What are is qualifications?

Chris Mortensen: (12:05 PM ET ) Donhoe was the only guy who waited to interview Fox and Lewis, who was tired and not enthused about the job. A league source said Ralph Wilson didn't want Fox. Donohoe also was the first guy to give serious weight to Weis - I think health concerns influenced the decision, although I thought Weis would have been a great selection. But let me ask you think - how was Donohoe supposed to anticipate that a defense ranked second in the NFL for two consecutive years with 10 starters back (and all coaches) was going to collapse? I think sometimes it just ain't your year.

539087[/snapback]

Yes, it was definitely not the Bills Year Chris...

Like MM said...The ball just did not bounce our way...

Jeez...I wish I had Mort for a Boss...

I really can understand Mort backing TD to a degree...honestly I can...But the problem here is that Mort is ignoring the most obvious thing...5 Years...no Playoffs...The LEAST he could do as a good, fair Reporter is point out the fact that for whatever reason it has not worked for TD. And at the end of the day TD will have to answer for it...

Good God Mort...Get your freaking nose outta there...You're gonna suffocate... :huh:

Coach Tuesday: Mort, please answer my question 'cuz I had to walk 2 miles to work (transit strike). Rumors in Buffalo are flying that Donahoe already has been told he'll be fired, and that Mularkey is likely to be let go too. Any word on possible replacements for these guys? Ron Wolf, perhaps? Thanks.

Chris Mortensen: (11:39 AM ET ) You think Ron Wolf is going to Buffalo? Listen, that's the problem with running off highly qualified guys like Tom Donohoe - you really aren't going to find any better.

539074[/snapback]

I think it is safe to say we have for Mort's inside source at OBD.

I think the point Mort is making is that Buffalo is not that attractive place to begin with.... Sorry... The team has not won in 6 years..... The other factor is that the owner is 87 years old. Whomever he selects will have to worry about the health of the owner. When Ralph dies a new owner will be in place. If that owner wants to bring in his own people then you as GM are out.... That and the fact that if you run off Mularkey in two years Buffalo will be an awful place to be a head coach. No one will want that job either..

Chris Phoenix,AZ: Chris I usually like what you write but "running off highly qualified guys like Tom Donahoe"? He had the opportunity to hire John Fox or Marvin Lewis and came up with Greg Williams. He had the chance to go after Charlie Weis or Romeo Crenell and came up with Mike Mularky. He has ignored both offensive and defensive lines for 5 years. What are is qualifications?

Chris Mortensen: (12:05 PM ET ) Donhoe was the only guy who waited to interview Fox and Lewis, who was tired and not enthused about the job. A league source said Ralph Wilson didn't want Fox. Donohoe also was the first guy to give serious weight to Weis - I think health concerns influenced the decision, although I thought Weis would have been a great selection. But let me ask you think - how was Donohoe supposed to anticipate that a defense ranked second in the NFL for two consecutive years with 10 starters back (and all coaches) was going to collapse? I think sometimes it just ain't your year.

539087[/snapback]

It doesn't take too much work to read between the lines of Mort's replies. He certainly thinks TD is gone.

It's also interesting that he completely blew off the part of the question concerning the OL. Clearly he is tight with TD.

I think the point Mort is making is that Buffalo is not that attractive place to begin with....  Sorry...  The team has not won in 6 years.....  The other factor is that the owner is 87 years old.  Whomever he selects will have to worry about the health of the owner.  When Ralph dies a new owner will be in place.  If that owner wants to bring in his own people then you as GM are out....  That and the fact that if you run off Mularkey in two years Buffalo will be an awful place to be a head coach.  No one will want that job either..

539149[/snapback]

WHAT!!!!Not attractive are you kidding me. There are only 20 something NFL GM jobs in the world. Outside of the the very upper echelon of GM candidates(Pioli, Wolf) anybody will take this job if paid comensurate with their ability.

I know this sounds like sacriledge, but it was thought that TD would never come here, as he was the TOP rated guy available when Butler left. Dam, I remeber how giddy i was when it was announced he agreed to come to Buffalo

WHAT!!!!Not attractive are you kidding me. There are only 20 something NFL GM jobs in the world. Outside of the the very upper echelon of GM candidates(Pioli, Wolf) anybody will take this job if paid comensurate with their ability.

I know this sounds like sacriledge, but it was thought that TD would never come here, as he was the TOP rated guy available when Butler left. Dam, I remeber how giddy i was when it was announced he agreed to come to Buffalo

539175[/snapback]

Just wait and watch.... Then tell me what you think of the top notch talent we get to replace TD and Mularkey... Oh wait when Gregg Williams was let go we were able to get top notch talent by hiring Mularkey. My bad...

Chris Mortensen: (11:39 AM ET ) You think Ron Wolf is going to Buffalo? Listen, that's the problem with running off highly qualified guys like Tom Donohoe - you really aren't going to find any better.

539074[/snapback]

So it's nothing Donahoe's done himself, it's the fans fault if he's fired? And we'll suffer for it because Wilson won't be able to hire anyone else qualified? :lol:

Is there any possible way we can run off Chris Mortensen instead? :huh:

Since everyone is taking aturn in interpreting his comments, I guess I'll give it a shot.

Despite the poor record in the past 5 years, Chris is just trying to rightfully point out that not everything TD has done has gone badly. Just because a chick has hammer toes doesn't mean she can't have an ass to die for...

The problem that I have seen from Bills fans is their willingness to turn everything into a negative whether it deserves it or not.

Case I: People rag on Gregg Williams for doing well in an interview. WTF is that all about? The guy wanted a job and he came in well-prepared and somehow Bills fans across the world turn that into a bad thing. I just want to slap the people who come out with that.

Case II: Marv Levy never did anything wrong and he was the epitome of everything a coach should be and his induction into the HoF is proof positive that he walked across Lake Erie to our fair city. Ok... whatever.

Perhaps there are a variety of reasons that TD needs to go, but to insinuate that he is somehow the worst GM in the league or that he is clueless about football is just more BS from the black or white fanbase.

If the fan base turns against you - even the look on your face is open for criticism. If you are embraced by the fan base, then strawberry yogurt flows out your ass. There is no middle ground.

Since everyone is taking aturn in interpreting his comments, I guess I'll give it a shot.

Despite the poor record in the past 5 years, Chris is just trying to rightfully point out that not everything TD has done has gone badly.  Just because a chick has hammer toes doesn't mean she can't have an ass to die for...

The problem that I have seen from Bills fans is their willingness to turn everything into a negative whether it deserves it or not.

Case I:  People rag on Gregg Williams for doing well in an interview.  WTF is that all about?  The guy wanted a job and he came in well-prepared and somehow Bills fans across the world turn that into a bad thing.  I just want to slap the people who come out with that.

Case II: Marv Levy never did anything wrong and he was the epitome of everything a coach should be and his induction into the HoF is proof positive that he walked across Lake Erie to our fair city. Ok... whatever.

Perhaps there are a variety of reasons that TD needs to go, but to insinuate that he is somehow the worst GM in the league or that he is clueless about football is just more BS from the black or white fanbase. 

If the fan base turns against you - even the look on your face is open for criticism.  If you are embraced by the fan base, then strawberry yogurt flows out your ass. There is no middle ground.

539210[/snapback]

Scott, imo, TD has made some great trades and free agent signings but has failed year after year in the draft. I can't see how this can be overlooked (not that I think you are doing so). The draft is the most important way to build a football team, especially for a franchise such as Buffalo.

TD has tanked on pick after pick. Is he the worst GM in the NFL? Of course not, but I don't see much of a reason to trust him in 06, a year in which we will be in good shape in terms of having early selections.

Donahoe has been a straight shooter, been able to bring big names to a small time market, and tends to sign our inhouse talent more than not. I like the mcgee and schobel signings. His weakness lies in finding a good coach. I feel he puts too much emphasis on interviewing skills which can be learned/faked, vs past history, and success. Donahoe will not be fired, based on the fact that old people don't like change very much. He'll keep the white fox around, but encourage him to look for better coaches.

Just wait and watch....  Then tell me what you think of the top notch talent we get to replace TD and Mularkey...  Oh wait when Gregg Williams was let go we were able to get top notch talent by hiring Mularkey.  My bad...

539187[/snapback]

Now, I'm not saying the best guys always GET hired, but outside of the top few, just about anybody else will jump at the chance to be an NFL HC or GM. All I'm saying Buffalo is atrractive because its one of only 32 places in the world to caoch in the NFL, and one of about 28 places to be the GM of an NFL team

You really should take Clements off that list. Your post loses a lot of credibility by his presence there.

539134[/snapback]

I won't.

Clements has had a mostly outstanding career up to this season, but that doesn't take away the fact that many posters here were warning the rest of us last year that Clements was overrated and prone to make the type of boneheaded mistakes that even the "elite" CB's don't make from time to time. And that was the purpose of my post - to lend credence to those posters who saw things in our 2004 defense that foreshadowed the 2005 collapse, things that Tom Donahoe and the ESPN "experts" like Mortenson overlooked.

For the record, I admittedly wasn't one of these perceptive fans. I was an apologist for our defense up to this season.

Wow, this is really difficult stuff.

Chris, how about getting your head out of Tom's ass? Instead being an extention of his alimentary canal, why don't you examine the record?

TD's grand winning percentage for five years is .382 and going lower.

Tom's replacement is in two parts. Put a business man in charge of the non-player personnel. Hire a coach that actually showed promise as a coordinator or spend some money and get a veteran.

Won't be able to get a another quality GM? Who cares? We need a coach who can coach and has the requisite authority, not just occupy an office.

I think the point Mort is making is that Buffalo is not that attractive place to begin with....  Sorry...  The team has not won in 6 years.....  The other factor is that the owner is 87 years old.  Whomever he selects will have to worry about the health of the owner.  When Ralph dies a new owner will be in place.  If that owner wants to bring in his own people then you as GM are out....  That and the fact that if you run off Mularkey in two years Buffalo will be an awful place to be a head coach.  No one will want that job either..

539149[/snapback]

Wow.. that post didn't brighten up my day.... great point.. never thought about it that way before

Despite the poor record in the past 5 years, Chris is just trying to rightfully point out that not everything TD has done has gone badly.  Just because a chick has hammer toes doesn't mean she can't have an ass to die for...

Scott,

I hear what you are saying about how some of the criticism of Donahoe has gone over the top. I would perhaps add "Case III - Donahoe didn't even try and address the offensive line", when in fact Donahoe only used the highest Bills draft pick in decades on the O-line, and pursued numerous free agents on the O-line. Of course, many of those moves went bust on us, but you can't say that he didn't try. Indeed, if anything I'd argue that Donahoe may have tried a bit too hard to improve this franchise - he had assembled a team around Bledsoe - Henry - Moulds - Reed and Gregg Williams, decided it was a mediocrity, and so ripped it apart and used every resource he had left building our new core of Losman - McGahee - (Moulds?) - Evans - Parrish and Mularkey.

Anyhow, given that you are one of the last Donahoe defenders left, as near as I can tell, I'm curious as to what your take on the situation is. If you were Bill Gates and were Owner of the Bills (i.e. not only could you afford to can Mularkey, you could also afford to wait out a decline in attendance next year by not giving the mob Donahoe's head on a pike like they want.... so long as you felt that either was the best course towards building a winner in Buffalo) - what would your offseason moves look like. Do you retain Donahoe and Mularkey for one more season? Do you only fire Mularkey? Do you simply reshuffle the deck by making Donahoe GM, and Modrak President (where presumably he will not be immune to input from Donahoe)? Do you bring in a new, untested GM?

So, I'm curious if you're just being a contrarian (and like me, reacting against the excesses of fan critiques) or if you really would maintain the status quo? Thanks.

JDG

That and the fact that if you run off Mularkey in two years Buffalo will be an awful place to be a head coach.  No one will want that job either..

539149[/snapback]

Right. Show that you're an utter failure as a HC and you will be run off in two years anywhere.

Someone who is self-confident and can prove that he can actually coach is not worried about ownership. Do a good job and become a hot commodity and you don't worry about having a job. It's the bottom feeders, the lowest 25%, that have to worry. Sports franchises are among the most efficient business entities in getting rid of losers. If you don't measure up, you don't last in the NFL.