Chris Mortensen say..

bernie

Coach Tuesday: Mort, please answer my question 'cuz I had to walk 2 miles to work (transit strike). Rumors in Buffalo are flying that Donahoe already has been told he'll be fired, and that Mularkey is likely to be let go too. Any word on possible replacements for these guys? Ron Wolf, perhaps? Thanks.

Chris Mortensen: (11:39 AM ET ) You think Ron Wolf is going to Buffalo? Listen, that's the problem with running off highly qualified guys like Tom Donohoe - you really aren't going to find any better.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Tuesday: Mort, please answer my question 'cuz I had to walk 2 miles to work (transit strike). Rumors in Buffalo are flying that Donahoe already has been told he'll be fired, and that Mularkey is likely to be let go too. Any word on possible replacements for these guys? Ron Wolf, perhaps? Thanks.

Chris Mortensen: (11:39 AM ET ) You think Ron Wolf is going to Buffalo? Listen, that's the problem with running off highly qualified guys like Tom Donohoe - you really aren't going to find any better.

539074[/snapback]

If we're not going to get anyone better, we're in trouble.

539074[/snapback]

back pocket. that's all i've gotta say.

Chris Phoenix,AZ: Chris I usually like what you write but "running off highly qualified guys like Tom Donahoe"? He had the opportunity to hire John Fox or Marvin Lewis and came up with Greg Williams. He had the chance to go after Charlie Weis or Romeo Crenell and came up with Mike Mularky. He has ignored both offensive and defensive lines for 5 years. What are is qualifications?

Chris Mortensen: (12:05 PM ET ) Donhoe was the only guy who waited to interview Fox and Lewis, who was tired and not enthused about the job. A league source said Ralph Wilson didn't want Fox. Donohoe also was the first guy to give serious weight to Weis - I think health concerns influenced the decision, although I thought Weis would have been a great selection. But let me ask you think - how was Donohoe supposed to anticipate that a defense ranked second in the NFL for two consecutive years with 10 starters back (and all coaches) was going to collapse? I think sometimes it just ain't your year.

how was Donohoe supposed to anticipate that a defense ranked second in the NFL for two consecutive years with 10 starters back (and all coaches) was going to collapse? I think sometimes it just ain't your year

If you take the middle link out of a chain, it's going to split in half. I guess TD should have held onto Pat Williams.

But let me ask you think - how was Donohoe supposed to anticipate that a defense ranked second in the NFL for two consecutive years with 10 starters back (and all coaches) was going to collapse? I think sometimes it just ain't your year.

539087[/snapback]

Because we lost our starting DT + the defense would obviously be on the field many more times than 2004 because he once again failed to stabilize the offensive line that has been terrible since Hull, Ballard, Ritcher, etc.... Plugging in Mike Gandy as your starting LT and Bennie Anderson as your LG, keeping a overmatched Teague at C, injury plagued Villariel at RG, and a RT who isn't mentally ready to play in the NFL is a disgrace.

How about vastly underestimating the effect of one of your top players. Then not going out and picking up another or drafting another. Bad, bad, bad, move that crushed this defense this year. Sometimes you have to slightly overpay for a guy--especially when there are no replacements out there. PW at 4M/year does not break the bank! Especially now that we will have to overpay for another DT to come in and help with the DL.

539074[/snapback]

You'll notice that Mr. Mortensen didn't say exactly what Tom Donohoe was highly qualified for.

Chris Phoenix,AZ: Chris I usually like what you write but "running off highly qualified guys like Tom Donahoe"? He had the opportunity to hire John Fox or Marvin Lewis and came up with Greg Williams. He had the chance to go after Charlie Weis or Romeo Crenell and came up with Mike Mularky. He has ignored both offensive and defensive lines for 5 years. What are is qualifications?

Chris Mortensen: (12:05 PM ET ) Donhoe was the only guy who waited to interview Fox and Lewis, who was tired and not enthused about the job. A league source said Ralph Wilson didn't want Fox. Donohoe also was the first guy to give serious weight to Weis - I think health concerns influenced the decision, although I thought Weis would have been a great selection. But let me ask you think - how was Donohoe supposed to anticipate that a defense ranked second in the NFL for two consecutive years with 10 starters back (and all coaches) was going to collapse? I think sometimes it just ain't your year.

539087[/snapback]

again - back pocket.

Or maybe , just maybe TD is still the highly qualified and regarded guy he was before he came here, and has simply had players on the offensive line fail for various reasons, some that could only be seen with hindsight. He also made made what I would consider his 1st free agent release that wasn't justified in giving away Pat Williams. He is still fully responsible for the team's poor record, so maybe it's a moot point, but it may be atleast difficult to find a guy out there who's available and better qualified.

TD has definitely made some mistakes, and I'm not saying he should stay, especially given the two HC stiffs he hired...

but I agree with Mort, be careful what you wish for.

For every Bill Polian, there's a few Stew Barbers. :huh:

539087[/snapback]

Keep 'em coming, Chrissy!

To answer his latest question about the defense, there were signs of cracking that TD should have picked up on:

1. Letting Pat Williams go without finding an equal offseason replacement.

2. Aging veterans at safety.

3. Overrated starters - Posey (always sucked outside a 3-4), Adams (always lazy), Schobel (always missing against better competition), Clements (brain farts in clutch time, like in last year's opener vs. Jax).

4. A 3rd down percentage ranked much, much worse than #2...THE biggest sign that our defense was a collection of choke artists.

5. Season-ending screwup in Pittsburgh, as well as both Patriots games last year.

All of this WAS anticipated by more perceptive football analysts than Chrissy - or our GM, TD. There were lots of TBD'ers suggesting that this D was horribly overrated last year.

TD has definitely made some mistakes, and I'm not saying he should stay, especially given the two HC stiffs he hired...

but I agree with Mort, be careful what you wish for.

For every Bill Polian, there's a few Stew Barbers. :huh:

539123[/snapback]

New TBD poll:

Worse Bills GM ever?

Stew Barber

Terry Bletsoe

3. Overrated starters - Posey (always sucked outside a 3-4), Adams (always lazy), Schobel (always missing against better competition), Clements (brain farts in clutch time, like in last year's opener vs. Jax).
You really should take Clements off that list. Your post loses a lot of credibility by his presence there.