Bills #1 Pick

As much help as we need on both sides of the line, we can't go with OL or DT with our first pick..... unless of course D'Brickashaw Ferguson is there.

Let's face facts, we're not winning next week. I also have a gut feeling we won't be beating the Jets on the road. We'll probably be favored, but they almost won on the road against Miami and most terrible teams seem to be able to pull out their home finale. Especially against a team as beatable as us.

In my opinion, we are looking at a top 5 pick. Outside of D'Brickashaw, there isn't an O-Lineman or a D-Tackle worth taking in the top 10. Haolti Ngata is a good DT. But he's not good enough to take until around pick 12. Everyone underneath him isn't worth taking until late 1st. The same can be mentioned about Eric Winston (mid 1st).

As much as i'll get bitched at for this, if Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, or Vince Young is available when we pick; we have to take one. They're just too special to pass up. I don't buy into the whole "Leinart will be a bust" thing. Watch his games, watch his accuracy, and his composure. And Young is so Vick-like it's scary. Mario Williams would also be acceptable.

If we can trade down with someone, that's fine. But if we stay put, you can't go with Ngata, Winston, or other DT's or OL's.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we can trade down with someone, that's fine.

537454[/snapback]

that's what i'm hoping for with our top 5 pick. Bush/Leinhart/Young is still on the board and somebody is drooling over him. We get a lower 1st, a 2nd, and a 2007 1st. This team has too many holes for one player to fill, we need draft picks and more importantly somebody who knows wtf they're doing on draft day

Mike Williams?

Josh Reed?

Roscoe Parrish?

JP Losman?

Brilliant!

If we get a top 5 pick I just dont see any way that we DONT trade down.....and it is because of the reason you mentioned...the DT/DE/OL that we need will probably not deserve to be drafted that high........

We will probably trade down into the teens.....and get another 2nd pick

We are going to rebiuld this team through the draft

As much help as we need on both sides of the line, we can't go with OL or DT with our first pick..... unless of course D'Brickashaw Ferguson is there...Mario Williams would also be acceptable.

So, now Mario Williams isn't part of the DL?

Personally, I hope we take Mario Williams. I think there are enough good DTs that we can pick one up in the 2nd round.

that's what i'm hoping for with our top 5 pick.  Bush/Leinhart/Young is still on the board and somebody is drooling over him.  We get a lower 1st, a 2nd, and a 2007 1st.  This team has too many holes for one player to fill, we need draft picks and more importantly somebody who knows wtf they're doing on draft day

Mike Williams?

Josh Reed?

Roscoe Parrish?

JP Losman?

Brilliant!

537460[/snapback]

Clements?

McGahee?

McGee?

Evans?

Baker?

Crowell or Stamer (UDFAs)?

Gotta look at the positives, as well as the negatives.

CW

Personally, I hope we take Mario Williams. I think there are enough good  DTs that we can pick one up in the 2nd round.

537480[/snapback]

I agree. Orien Harris, Gabe Watson, Rodrique Wright, Ngata. All 1st round talent, but how many teams will draft a DT before we pick a 2nd time.

Clements?

McGahee?

McGee?

Evans?

Baker?

Crowell or Stamer (UDFAs)?

Gotta look at the positives, as well as the negatives.

CW

537483[/snapback]

You're supposed to draft good players, thats what the draft is all about. When a pick is bad, it sticks out. TD could have picked Joe Montana, and it still wouldnt make up for picking Mike Frigging Williams at 4.

Let's see where the pick is when the dust finally settles first. If it's top 10 or so, I still don't think you can go OL the year that you dump MW. But you can and will get good value if you go DL... you need strength in numbers in that unit.

You're supposed to draft good players, thats what the draft is all about.  When a pick is bad, it sticks out.  TD could have picked Joe Montana, and it still wouldnt make up for picking Mike Frigging Williams at 4.

537486[/snapback]

Show me a GM who makes all good picks.

The draft is a crap shoot, plain and simple.

Show me a GM who makes all good picks.

The draft is a crap shoot, plain and simple.

537500[/snapback]

How about any number of the ones whos teams made the playoffs the past 6 years. Take a look at the Bengals roster. That is homegrown talent working within a great scheme.

That's true. .. make enough bad picks, though, & you crap your way out of a job.

537506[/snapback]

I'm still not convinced that, aside from the OL (and to a lesser extent, the DL), that we're not a good team. Look what we did last year, for example?

You can fault TD for not picking up enough quality OL (and DL), but you can't really fault him for the picks he has made; the only real "bust" so far is MW (whom I'm convinced will go elsewhere and have a good, if not great, career).

CW

You can fault TD for not picking up enough quality OL (and DL), but you can't really fault him for the picks he has made; the only real "bust" so far is MW

537513[/snapback]

Josh Reed is a bust. He was a high second round selection and is nothing more than a spare part. He has one hand on the last rung of the NFL ladder.

Josh Reed is a bust.  He was a high second round selection and is nothing more than a spare part.  He has one hand on the last rung of the NFL ladder.

537523[/snapback]

I disagree. He showed GREAT promise his first season or two, and has been one of JPLs favorite targets this season. Last year he looked terrible, but I think he'll still develop into a very good threat, and I'd be surprised if he isn't re-signed this offseason.

CW

Personally, I hope we take Mario Williams. I think there are enough good  DTs that we can pick one up in the 2nd round.

537480[/snapback]

The statement you quoted was me saying that no OL (Offensive Lineman) or DT's (Defensive TACKLES) is worth taking.

Mario Williams is a DE.

The statement you quoted was me saying that no OL (Offensive Lineman) or DT's (Defensive TACKLES) is worth taking.

Mario Williams is a DE.

537529[/snapback]

Umm, what's the heading of this thread?: Bills #1 Pick, Why you can't go with OL or DL.

You wrote that, right? And I know he's a DE.

In my opinion, we are looking at a top 5 pick. Outside of D'Brickashaw, there isn't an O-Lineman or a D-Tackle worth taking in the top 10. Haolti Ngata is a good DT. But he's not good enough to take until around pick 12. Everyone underneath him isn't worth taking until late 1st. The same can be mentioned about Eric Winston (mid 1st).

Well it first remains to be seen if the Bills' scouts think that Ngata can be a difference-maker as a DT (and later for Ngata to validate that). Ideally he's viewed as a non-top-5 pick, and the Bills trade down and get him and an extra pick or two, maximizing their draft value. But if they think he's worth a top-5 pick and others don't, they should take him. That kind of thinking (i.e. not worth X position) led the Bills to take MW over Levi Jones or for a lot of teams to bypass Freeney.