Major props for Wade Phillips....

Hardy Pyle

San Diego won this game with a lights-out performance by its front seven on defense. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips had a brilliant game plan, stuffing the run early, and then throwing everything he could at the Colts' usually sturdy offensive line and Peyton Manning. Edgerrin James was bottled up and a non factor with 25 rushing yards. Manning was harassed all day, sacked four times and picked off twice.

In my opinion, letting Wade go was the biggest mistake this organization has made in the last 7 years, and no I'm not kidding, I've felt that since he was here and since he left. He could flat out coach and the players fought hard for him. He makes some statement on TV that his team it out of the playoffs and the fans want to villify him. I always thought it was a bit shortsighted by fans, who knows what he tells his team and I'm sure I wouldn't be telling the TV reporter the same thing I'm telling my Team. I don't understand how the quitter label can be put on this guy when his team was 0-3 and made the play offs, and back them we could actually remember what a comeback was!

Yeah, we might be better off today in year eight of the Phillips regime, but Wade's got himself to blame on this.

If Wade had been half as generous to Bruce DeHaven as Ralph was with him, he would have much better special teams and probably a winning record in 2000. Instead, he put his ample ass on the line to protect his buddy, Ronnie Jones.

Yeah, we might be better off today in year eight of the Phillips regime, but Wade's got himself to blame on this.

If Wade had been half as generous to Bruce DeHaven as Ralph was with him, he would have much better special teams and probably a winning record in 2000. Instead, he put his ample ass on the line to protect his buddy, Ronnie Jones.

537108[/snapback]

Ronnie Jones is a good coach, but was out of place coachinf special teams

In my opinion, letting Wade go was the biggest mistake this organization has made in the last 7 years, and no I'm not kidding, I've felt that since he was here and since he left.

537096[/snapback]

Wade could not get the team over the hump beyond getting to the playoffs

(not that I have a problem with that)....

However the biggest mistake is not finding someone better than him....What

we have been given are minnows compared to him.......We just took two

GIANT steps back instead of going forward with a Bills Parcells or a Jimmy

Johnson.....

I agree completely.

Bring back WADE!!!!

San Diego won this game with a lights-out performance by its front seven on defense. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips had a brilliant game plan, stuffing the run early, and then throwing everything he could at the Colts' usually sturdy offensive line and Peyton Manning. Edgerrin James was bottled up and a non factor with 25 rushing yards. Manning was harassed all day, sacked four times and picked off twice.

In my opinion, letting Wade go was the biggest mistake this organization has made in the last 7 years, and no I'm not kidding, I've felt that since he was here and since he left. He could flat out coach and the players fought hard for him. He makes some statement on TV that his team it out of the playoffs and the fans want to villify him. I always thought it was a bit shortsighted by fans, who knows what he tells his team and I'm sure I wouldn't be telling the TV reporter the same thing I'm telling my Team. I don't understand how the quitter label can be put on this guy when his team was 0-3 and made the play offs, and back them we could actually remember what a comeback was!

537096[/snapback]

I am one of those who thought he was a good head coach. Given the circumstances of his departure I don't think there is ANY was he would come back to work for Ralph or that Ralph would have him come back and work for him. Wade will be a successful head coach next year. Just not here.

One thing that didn't win Wade any slack was the introduction of the challenge.

We tend to forget now, but at the time he was savaged over it. First, he usually got them wrong. Second - and far more important - every time the camera was on him expectently after a questionable play he had this bumpkin, bewildered expression like he had no idea what was going on. Just the way he looks while he's thinking, I guess. Pretty funny, but very unfortunate, and it made him an easy target.

I always thought that Ralph's firing Wade for refusing to fire Ronnie Jones was a bit of a cop-out. I think Ralph just wanted to clear the way for the new GM (TD) to name his own coach.

537341[/snapback]

Heh. Memories.

Mike Brown claimed then-HC Wyche quit during a meeting and so refused to honor his contract. Wyche won the legal case.

Every owner meddles. It's fun to be an owner. :D

Ive never been a head coach in football before, let alone pro football. To me, imho, Wade was not a good gameday coach. Made bad decesions during the game and horrible at clock management(see the Titans playoff loss). That said, I have all the respect for him as a DC. It's not like thats a bad thing. I dont consider him a failure if he isnt a good head coach. It just means that he is not cut out for that position. Like all of us arent cut out for alot of jobs. He is a good man. Just not at the head coach position. I wish he was back here as DC cause our D needs him.

I always thought that Ralph's firing Wade for refusing to fire Ronnie Jones was a bit of a cop-out. I think Ralph just wanted to clear the way for the new GM (TD) to name his own coach.

537341[/snapback]

Agreed. The what-if I wonder about is what-if Cottrell became HC? I really didn't want him at the time, but in hindsight I think he would've made for a much better leader than GW & MM combined (I know, not saying much). He never got that gig anywhere else to compare, but I think, IF he hired a strong staff, we'd have more W's under our belt this decade and we wouldn't have players running for the bus.

I like Cottrell as well. Players loved him, played hard for him, he'd make adjustments and treated players well. He would get fired up and had a lot of emotion. I think players respond to that. He has done a real nice job at Minnesota, but I don't think he'll get any HC jobs. He would have been the best fit after Phillips and if you remember many of the players Moulds, Washington, etc were lobbying for Cottrell to be the HC. TD chose the guy who had a list of assistant coaches that gave us one of the worst coaching staffs ever assembled here.

Ive never been a head coach in football before, let alone pro football. To me, imho, Wade was not a good gameday coach. Made bad decesions during the game and horrible at clock management(see the Titans playoff loss). That said, I have all the respect for him as a DC. It's not like thats a bad thing. I dont consider him a failure if he isnt a good head coach. It just means that he is not cut out for that position. Like all  of us arent cut out for alot of jobs. He is a good man. Just not at the head coach position. I wish he was back here as DC cause our D needs him.

537492[/snapback]

Sports Illustrated had a good article about Bud Carson and his passing which I think is applicable to Wade. Carson said he was a bad HC cause he was a great teacher and not necessarily a great communicator which you have to be as a HC. Wade probably fits that mold to some extent. That being said, Wade could flat out coach at the HC level better than TD's first two selections though I think GW will succeed at his next stint.

I never thought in 2005 I'd be yearning for the good ol' Wade Phillips days.

:D

537096[/snapback]

Funny how you should happen to bring it up after this game.