The Buffalo Bills, ha...........

Rayzer32

I am looking forward to the draft for the Bills.  Right now, the Sabres have the 3rd best record in the entire NHL.  Let's Go Buffalo!!!  Sabres that it is.  We will have a playoff team in Buffalo this year.  Thank god!!!

536222[/snapback]

Good thing the Sabres don't have a team of talentless, gutless losers, a head coach that has shown nothing in the last few years, or a total idiot for a General Manager who has no clue on how to keep or acquire talent and sign players, both of whom should be run out of town.

Oooops.

Good thing the Sabres don't have a team of talentless, gutless losers, a head coach that has shown nothing in the last few years, or a total idiot for a General Manager who has no clue on how to keep or acquire talent and sign players, both of whom should be run out of town.

Oooops.

536229[/snapback]

That is so 2003-2004 season. Get with the program. (Oh yeah, you forgot that the idiots dumped the leading goal scorer and got nothing in return)

That is so 2003-2004 season.  Get with the program.  (Oh yeah, you forgot that the idiots dumped the leading goal scorer and got nothing in return)

536232[/snapback]

Not true...They got rid of their cancer. Satan was a me guy and disliked by most of

the players. In return they got their team chemistry and now play as a team.

Not true...They got rid of their cancer. Satan was a me guy and disliked by most of

the players. In return they got their team chemistry and now play as a team.

536237[/snapback]

For how many years have the serious as well as casual Sabre fans been saying the team lacks talent, they fold, the coach should be fired and has terrible systems, and especially the GM is clueless, never makes good trades or draft picks and loses his best players? It's almost identical to the Bills situation but suddenly the Sabres are great and these clueless people who should have been run out of town have been pushing all the right buttons.

Well they might have gotten lucky or they were very smart. They built the team for

the new NHL. No more clutching and grabbing . And the Sabres were always getting pushed around . Now they can out skate and out finesse alot of teams.

I watch their power play in amazement. This is the best puck handling and skating

team the Sabres ever had. IMHO.

Giving up Warrener for Drury (essentially) -- Good.

Giving up Gratton for Briere -- Good.

Giving up Grosek for Dumont (and at the time Gilmour) -- Good.

Giving up Peca (3 G 6 A 9 P -2) for Connolly (7 G 18 A 33 P +5) finally...Good.

Giving up Jakub Klepis for Mike Grier...Good.

Giving up Rasmussen for Adam Mair...Good.

Boasting regulars who are making a big impact such as Kotalik, Vanek, Gaustad, Pominville, Tallinder, Roy, Afinogenov, and even McKee, including all three goaltenders, that are all homegrown and were drafted by Buffalo...Good.

Yep, Regier has no idea what he's doing.

And to the person who complained that they gave up their leading scorer without getting anything in return??

1.) It's kind of hard to trade a free agent isn't it??

2.) Satan's numbers so far this season -- 15 G 8 A 23 P

Compare that to Kotalik's -- 15 G 9 A 24 P

or Briere's -- 14 G 9 A 23 P

or Drury's 10 G 13 A 23 P

or Connolly's 7 G 16 A 23 P

Sure am glad no one stepped up in that scoring department.

3.) The locker room nonsense involving Satan is gone.

4.) He's sloppy! http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/58607.htm

You need to register to read that but here's the gist:

Steve Stirling showed a rare sign of anger on the ice yesterday when the Islanders coach roasted Alexei Yashin and Miro Satan when the first-line tandem deteriorated during a sloppy drill.

Giving up Peca (3 G 6 A 9 P  -2) for Connolly (7 G 18 A 33 P +5) finally...Good.

Boasting regulars who are making a big impact such as Kotalik, Vanek, Gaustad, Pominville, Tallinder, Roy, Afinogenov, Tallinder and even McKee, including all three goaltenders, that are all homegrown and were drafted by Buffalo...Good. 

And to the person who complained that they gave up their leading scorer without getting anything in return??

1.)  It's kind of hard to trade a free agent isn't it??

2.)  Satan's numbers so far this season -- 15 G  8 A  23 P

Compare that to Kotalik's -- 15 G  9 A  24 P

or Briere's -- 14 G  9 A  23 P

or Connolly's 7 G  16 A  23 P

3.) The locker room nonsese involving Satan is gone.

4.) He's sloppy!  http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/58607.htm

Steve Stirling showed a rare sign of anger on the ice yesterday when the Islanders coach roasted Alexei Yashin and Miro Satan when the first-line tandem deteriorated during a sloppy drill.

536271[/snapback]

great post! Go Sabres!

Well they might have gotten lucky or they were very smart. They built the team for

the new NHL. No more clutching and grabbing . And the Sabres were always getting pushed around . Now they can out skate and out finesse alot of teams.

I watch their power play in amazement. This is the best puck handling and skating

team the Sabres ever had. IMHO.

536261[/snapback]

I just said this last night. This is the best Sabres team (stick handling) I have seen in a long time as well. Their passing is phenominal mixed in with a power play that is so solid that it's scary at times. Throw in solid defense (which we have) and above average goalies and we really could make a run into the playoffs. Exciting.

Giving up Peca (3 G 6 A 9 P  -2) for Connolly (7 G 18 A 33 P +5) finally...Good.

Boasting regulars who are making a big impact such as Kotalik, Vanek, Gaustad, Pominville, Tallinder, Roy, Afinogenov, and even McKee, including all three goaltenders, that are all homegrown and were drafted by Buffalo...Good. 

536271[/snapback]

Precicely my point. Suddenly, now, all of those moves look smart (of course you didnt mention the 46 other moves). Up until this year, Connolly was a total bust. Up until 13 games ago, people couldn't wait to get rid of Biron. Up until this year, this team was terrible for all the time that Tom Donohoe has been in Buffalo. The point is, wins cure everything, fortunes can change over night, yesterdays bums are today's geniuses and vice versa, dumping coaches and GMs when they don't produce playoffs and championships can be extremely premature, etc., etc., etc.

Precicely my point. Suddenly, now, all of those moves look smart (of course you didnt mention the 46 other moves). Up until this year, Connolly was a total bust. Up until 13 games ago, people couldn't wait to get rid of Biron. Up until this year, this team was terrible for all the time that Tom Donohoe has been in Buffalo. The point is, wins cure everything, fortunes can change over night, yesterdays bums are today's geniuses and vice versa, dumping coaches and GMs when they don't produce playoffs and championships can be extremely premature, etc., etc., etc.

536328[/snapback]

Small difference.

Fan bashing of Ruff/Reiger was premature because both had actually accomplished something for the Sabres (Eastern Conference champs in '99?) before failing to miss the playoffs for three straight years. Tom Donahoe, meanwhile, hasn't done squat for this team after 5 full years. Mularkey's only had 2 years to screw up, but wow...I don't think Ruff ever lost his players like Mularkey has this year.

Oh yeah, and both Ruff/Reiger had to put up with a salary cap-less league and a criminal owner while their team struggled. Donahoe and Williams/Mularkey don't have a similar excuse.

536271[/snapback]

And do not forget Tomas Vanek...who IMO has the most pure talent on the Sabres roster....Id be willing to bet a lot of cash he will become a legitimate 40-50 goal scorer.

536271[/snapback]

You missed one important detail of that trade. The Sabres also moved Keith Ballard. Ballard has all the makings of a stud defenseman and it would be nice to have him on the blue line right now. I'd probably rather have Drury at this point, but I do wish they could've thrown in a different prospect instead.

You missed one important detail of that trade.  The Sabres also moved Keith Ballard.  Ballard has all the makings of a stud defenseman and it would be nice to have him on the blue line right now.  I'd probably rather have Drury at this point, but I do wish they could've thrown in a different prospect instead.

536698[/snapback]

Not every team is willing to give up good prospects for your dump-offs. Drury is a stud and will likely show his metal in the playoffs - as he always does. Calgary is alot like Buffalo in the way they build their team (not similiar players, though). It was a good trade for both sides.

Not every team is willing to give up good prospects for your dump-offs.  Drury is a stud and will likely show his metal in the playoffs - as he always does.  Calgary is alot like Buffalo in the way they build their team (not similiar players, though).  It was a good trade for both sides.

537407[/snapback]

mettle?

Not every team is willing to give up good prospects for your dump-offs.  Drury is a stud and will likely show his metal in the playoffs - as he always does.  Calgary is alot like Buffalo in the way they build their team (not similiar players, though).  It was a good trade for both sides.

537407[/snapback]

I like the deal too, but I'd love it if we still had Ballard. He should be mentioned when talking about that trade. Calgary wanted Reinprecht badly, and the only way to get him from Colorado was by sending them Ballard.

I like the deal too, but I'd love it if we still had Ballard.  He should be mentioned when talking about that trade.  Calgary wanted Reinprecht badly, and the only way to get him from Colorado was by sending them Ballard.

537684[/snapback]

If the Sabres had been able to make the deal Warrener for Drury it would have been a good trade for Buffalo. But as you mentioned, Calgary wanted Reinprecht. In order for Calgary to get him, Sabres had to give up Ballard. By getting Reinprecht into the mix, Buffalo also got Begin in the deal. They subsequently lost him in the now defunct waiver draft, but he is a solid player and would have been an asset on the current team. When Begin is added into the mix, it was a very fair trade IMHO.

I'm not sure who would still be in Rochester (probably Pominville) right now, but the Sabres would have one more 2nd / 3rd line quality forward to include with a goalie for a potential D-man upgrade at the very least. A trade consisting of say Biron, Max, and Mair / Begin would probably bring back a useful D-man. One adding one of the Sabres lower tier D-men would probably also bring an AHL quality forward back to help ease the pain in Rachacha due to their never seeing Pominville again after the trade.

Medal? 

Meddle?

538086[/snapback]

I think its mettle, but what the hell do i know.

1.) It's kind of hard to trade a free agent isn't it??

Satan was a restricted FA if the sabres had offered him the qualifying offer at around 3.3M I think. The islanders are paying more for him, so maybe, and its a big maybe I admit, Darcy gets a 3rd rounder or something similiar for him. The danger is no one wants to trade for him at that salary, and then your stuck with a guy you really do not want.

My gut tells me Darcy did not think salaries would be as high as they went in August, and he felt Miro would get in the $2M range, and at $3M he would get no takers. Slight misstep that can be forgiven given the uncertainty of the new CBA and having about an hr to judge the new envirnoment

If the Sabres had been able to make the deal Warrener for Drury it would have been a good trade for Buffalo.  But as you mentioned, Calgary wanted Reinprecht.  In order for Calgary to get him, Sabres had to give up Ballard.  By getting Reinprecht into the mix, Buffalo also got Begin in the deal.  They subsequently lost him in the now defunct waiver draft, but he is a solid player and would have been an asset on the current team.  When Begin is added into the mix, it was a very fair trade IMHO.

I'm not sure who would still be in Rochester (probably Pominville) right now, but the Sabres would have one more 2nd / 3rd line quality forward to include with a goalie for a potential D-man upgrade at the very least.  A trade consisting of say Biron, Max, and Mair / Begin would probably bring back a useful D-man.  One adding one of the Sabres lower tier D-men would probably also bring an AHL quality forward back to help ease the pain in Rachacha due to their never seeing Pominville again after the trade.

537727[/snapback]

I don't see them moving Mair.