The real culprit

Outkast

This downward spiral of the Buffalo Bills started during the Super Bowl years when Ralphie boy, for no apparent reason, fired GM Bill Polian during a never before seen SB run. How can you get rid of a guy with an obvious talent in finding skilled players? That was a huge mistake the Bills have yet to recover from. But wait, there's more.

The Bills defense was one man short of taking the Super Bowl back in the early 90's and that man was Reggie White. Could you imagine both Bruce AND Reggie on the field at the same time? Whoi do you double? The Bills should've thrown a boat load of cash to #92 to lure him to Buffalo in '93. He only cost Green Bay two first round picks. The Bills still made the SB the first year White played for GB. Ralph was being cheap. There was no salary cap that season so the Bills could've signed him, although the cap was on the horizan a year or two later, but that doesn't matter. The Bills were built to win that year and time was running out. We should've at least attempted to sign the guy. But wait, there's more.

The next best GM, John Butler, was also let go. Now I know we got into a little bit of salary cap trouble with Butler at the helm, but he was still the best man for the job. I'm not quite clear exactly why Butler was let go, but I sure know whatever reason there was wasn't good enough to let Butler walk. But wait, there's more.

Ralph then went on to hire TD. To his credit, we all thought TD was the right man for the job at the time. Where RW went wrong on this one was he gave TD more power than any other GM in Bills' history. He should've given that kind've power to one of the last two GM's who have proven themselves with the Bills. Neither one of them would've left if they were both GM and Pres. of the Bills.

It it obvious that RW is plain and simply cheap. Just take a look at how much money our last two HC's get per season. On average it's between 1 and 1.5 million dollars per season. That is K-Mart shopping for you. I know spending doesn't guarantee a championship but not spending assures you of not winning. I don't know the exact figures but Belichek, Billick, Vermeil and Gruden, the last few SB winning coaches, all make more loot than our guys. You pay for what you get.

We need a new owner. The best case scenario is the city of Buffalo itself buys the Bills from Ralph. But we all know that isn't possible due to the bad economy in Buffalo. The second best scenario is someone, I don't know whom, with deep deep pockets and a desire to win, buys the team from Ebenezer Wilson and promises to keep the team in Buffalo. Until then the Bills will continue to suck.

You have so many facts wrong in the opening paragraphs, I stopped reading when the idiot meter reached overload.  Go look up some facts like GB signed White as an unrestricted fa with a salary cap in place and surrendered NO draft picks.  When you can write a factual post, we may actually read it.  Until then please refrain from posting made up BS.

532587[/snapback]

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! 0:)

You have so many facts wrong in the opening paragraphs, I stopped reading when the idiot meter reached overload.  Go look up some facts like GB signed White as an unrestricted fa with a salary cap in place and surrendered NO draft picks.  When you can write a factual post, we may actually read it.  Until then please refrain from posting made up BS.

532587[/snapback]

Go look up some facts like GB signed White as an unrestricted fa with a salary cap in place and surrendered NO draft picks.

http://olympia.fortunecity.com/white/225/1regprofile.htm

The Philadelphia Eagles received a first-round pick in both the 1993 & 1994 NFL Drafts as compensation.)

Go look up some facts like GB signed White as an unrestricted fa with a salary cap in place

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question644.htm

In 1994, the owners' and players' associations of the National Football League approved a new collective-bargaining agreement. This agreement included a salary cap designed to keep player salaries from increasing at the rate they were at the time. The salary cap is essentially a set amount of money that each of the NFL's 31 teams is allowed to spend on player salaries for any given year. For the upcoming 2001 season, that amount is approximately $67.4-million, or 63% of the League's defined gross revenues (DGR) from last year divided by the 31 NFL teams.

You may continue with your apology.

BTW. How does crow taste?

Go look up some facts like GB signed White as an unrestricted fa with a salary cap in place and surrendered NO draft picks.

http://olympia.fortunecity.com/white/225/1regprofile.htm

The Philadelphia Eagles received a first-round pick in both the 1993 & 1994 NFL Drafts as compensation.) 

Go look up some facts like GB signed White as an unrestricted fa with a salary cap in place

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question644.htm

In 1994, the owners' and players' associations of the National Football League approved a new collective-bargaining agreement. This agreement included a salary cap designed to keep player salaries from increasing at the rate they were at the time. The salary cap is essentially a set amount of money that each of the NFL's 31 teams is allowed to spend on player salaries for any given year. For the upcoming 2001 season, that amount is approximately $67.4-million, or 63% of the League's defined gross revenues (DGR) from last year divided by the 31 NFL teams.

You may continue with your apology.

BTW. How does crow taste?

532591[/snapback]

You're half right. I looked up the salary cap stuff & deleted my post before I saw your reply so I could straighten things out. However-get this straight-GB LOST NO PICKS. The league gave extra picks to the Eagles at no cost to the Packers.

So if I appologize for the cap stuff, you have an applogy due for the GB lost 2 picks stuff.

You're half right.  I looked up the salary cap stuff & deleted my post before I saw your reply so I could straighten things out.  However-get this straight-GB LOST NO PICKS.  The league gave extra picks to the Eagles at no cost to the Packers. 

So if I appologize for the cap stuff, you have an applogy due for the GB lost 2 picks stuff.

532609[/snapback]

I accept.

The league gave extra picks to the Eagles at no cost to the Packers.

That only strengthens my argument that RW didn't do enough to get us over the hump when we were oh so close.

You should be thanking MR. WILSON every day that there is even a football team in Buffalo. He could have made much more money elsewhere, and could have a much nicer stadium elsewhere, but remains loyal to Buffalo.

There are few owners of his caliber in sports.

By the way- he was not wrong for firing Polian- despite the fact that it has hurt the team. When a GM cant answer the owner's questions without snapping, that is just disrespectful.

That being said, I do admire the work of Polian- he's one of the best

Thanking Mr. Wilson?

"Thanks for taking the fans' money away for the last six years. Can you step on the fans some more Ralph?"

*I'm so sick of you Wilson apologists. He's a nice guy and I thank him for bringing us the team but the bottom line is that he's not a good owner.

When you Pay peanuts, you get Monkeys! Applies to all businesses!!!!

This downward spiral of the Buffalo Bills started during the Super Bowl years when Ralphie boy, for no apparent reason, fired GM Bill Polian during a never before seen SB run. How can you get rid of a guy with an obvious talent in finding skilled players? That was a huge mistake the Bills have yet to recover from. But wait, there's more.

The Bills defense was one man short of taking the Super Bowl back in the early 90's and that man was Reggie White. Could you imagine both Bruce AND Reggie on the field at the same time? Whoi do you double? The Bills should've thrown a boat load of cash to #92 to lure him to Buffalo in '93. He only cost Green Bay two first round picks. The Bills still made the SB the first year White played for GB. Ralph was being cheap. There was no salary cap that season so the Bills could've signed him, although the cap was on the horizan a year or two later, but that doesn't matter. The Bills were built to win that year and time was running out. We should've at least attempted to sign the guy. But wait, there's more.

The next best GM, John Butler, was also let go. Now I know we got into a little bit of salary cap trouble with Butler at the helm, but he was still the best man for the job. I'm not quite clear exactly why Butler was let go, but I sure know whatever reason there was wasn't good enough to let Butler walk. But wait, there's more.

Ralph then went on to hire TD. To his credit, we all thought TD was the right man for the job at the time. Where RW went wrong on this one was he gave TD more power than any other GM in Bills' history. He should've given that kind've power to one of the last two GM's who have proven themselves with the Bills. Neither one of them would've left if they were both GM and Pres. of the Bills.

It it obvious that RW is plain and simply cheap. Just take a look at how much money our last two HC's get per season. On average it's between 1 and 1.5 million dollars per season. That is K-Mart shopping for you. I know spending doesn't guarantee a championship but not spending assures you of not winning. I don't know the exact figures but Belichek, Billick, Vermeil and Gruden, the last few SB winning coaches, all make more loot than our guys. You pay for what you get.

We need a new owner. The best case scenario is the city of Buffalo itself buys the Bills from Ralph. But we all know that isn't possible due to the bad economy in Buffalo. The second best scenario is someone, I don't know whom, with deep deep pockets and a desire to win, buys the team from Ebenezer Wilson and promises to keep the team in Buffalo. Until then the Bills will continue to suck.

532565[/snapback]

By the way- he was not wrong for firing Polian- despite the fact that it has hurt the team. When a GM cant answer the owner's questions without snapping, that is just disrespectful.

532818[/snapback]

Sounds like the old man has a severe case of TD-itis, a fear to hire those smarter and stronger than himself.

Does anyone really know what the owners job is for a sports team? Its to sign cheques. Which Ralph has done.

As for letting Polian go, Do you know the reason why he was let go? Unless you do I would not be saying that it was a horrible move.

So what if Ralph did not pressure his GM into getting White. That is usually the GMs job to get players. Maybe the Bills made him an offer and he declined. You can't fault an owner for not getting the team players. If so, I hate ralph wilson for not getting us Peyton Manning, Tomlinson, Moss, etc.

As for John Butler, He got us into what we all like to affectionatly call cap hell after his free spending ways. And yet that is not his fault that he was let go, its Ralphs.

Then as you say we hired TD who (as you put it) we all thought was the best man for the job. He did what he was supposed to do, hire players and coaches HE thought would make a winning team on the field. His job as president is to also make sure the team is being run efficiently and puts people in the seats, which he has done. Now TD has put people in the stadium and brought in some excellent players to the bills, we are also not in a good position salary cap wise. He has not been able to put a team on the field that can compete and that is the reason he will not be with the bills next year after Ralph makes the change

The past couple of coaches that have been hired were co-ordinators without HC experience, thats why they were payed between 1-1.5 mil. His GM and President made the choice to hire these people cause they thought they were right for the job. They weren't, so now at the end of the year they are gone. Also spending money is not always better, Have you not watched another certain buffalo sports framchise who is currently playing very well at about $10 mil less than most other teams?

As for a new owner, the city of Buffalo can barely keep themselves running, how are they supposed to buy the Bills? (also I don't think they can actually purchase the Bills) If you cannot think of anybody in the area that is willing to buy the team and keep them in Buffalo, what makes you think there is someone? What makes you think that there is some rich buisness owner that is going to be willing to spend millions to buy a franchise and keep it in a small market city where it can struggle to survive, when they can uproot the team and make alot more money somewhere else (like LA)

If a team like the browns (fan base like the bills fans) can be uprooted and moved somewhere just cause the owner found a better city to make money in, what makes you think Buffalo is safe if we get Ralph to sell the team?

Remember, not every team can be SB champs every single year, teams will go through struggles.

You're half right.  I looked up the salary cap stuff & deleted my post before I saw your reply so I could straighten things out.  However-get this straight-GB LOST NO PICKS.  The league gave extra picks to the Eagles at no cost to the Packers. 

532609[/snapback]

???? the bills lost wolford after the 92 season because of the imposition of the salary cap in early 93. that's why fina started at LT that year.

532565[/snapback]

straight from the horse's (i.e., the agent's) mouth:

http://www.cindrich.com/contracts.htm

scroll down to 1993:

$$$ FREE AGENCY BEGINS $$$

WILL WOLFORD

Buffalo Bills

Negotiated contract with the Indianapolis Colts that created the "Wolford Rule"

Made Will the highest paid offensive lineman by more than $800,000 per year

Contract assured that he would be the highest paid offensive player for the Indianapolis Colts during the term of the contract

All this was done despite Will needing a shoulder surgery

Will wanted out of Buffalo and although the Colts had a right to match because he was a Transition Player, constructed the contract to assure that he would be out

Does anyone really know what the owners job is for a sports team? Its to sign cheques. Which Ralph has done.

As for letting Polian go, Do you know the reason why he was let go? Unless you do I would not be saying that it was a horrible move.

So what if Ralph did not pressure his GM into getting White. That is usually the GMs job to get players. Maybe the Bills made him an offer and he declined. You can't fault an owner for not getting the team players. If so, I hate ralph wilson for not getting us Peyton Manning, Tomlinson, Moss, etc.

As for John Butler, He got us into what we all like to affectionatly call cap hell after his free spending ways. And yet that is not his fault that he was let go, its Ralphs.

Then as you say we hired TD who (as you put it) we all thought was the best man for the job. He did what he was supposed to do, hire players and coaches HE thought would make a winning team on the field. His job as president is to also make sure the team is being run efficiently and puts people in the seats, which he has done. Now TD has put people in the stadium and brought in some excellent players to the bills, we are also not in a good position salary cap wise. He has not been able to put a team on the field that can compete and that is the reason he will not be with the bills next year after Ralph makes the change

The past couple of coaches that have been hired were co-ordinators without HC experience, thats why they were payed between 1-1.5 mil. His GM and President made the choice to hire these people cause they thought they were right for the job. They weren't, so now at the end of the year they are gone. Also spending money is not always better, Have you not watched another certain buffalo sports framchise who is currently playing very well at about $10 mil less than most other teams?

As for a new owner, the city of Buffalo can barely keep themselves running, how are they supposed to buy the Bills? (also I don't think they can actually purchase the Bills) If you cannot think of anybody in the area that is willing to buy the team and keep them in Buffalo, what makes you think there is someone? What makes you think that there is some rich buisness owner that is going to be willing to spend millions to buy a franchise and keep it in a small market city where it can struggle to survive, when they can uproot the team and make alot more money somewhere else (like LA)

If a team like the browns (fan base like the bills fans) can be uprooted and moved somewhere just cause the owner found a better city to make money in, what makes you think Buffalo is safe if we get Ralph to sell the team?

Remember, not every team can be SB champs every single year, teams will go through struggles.

533003[/snapback]

LA doesn't want an NFL team and can't agree on where to put it even if someone would pay for the new stadium. The tax payers won't pay for a new stadium in LA. That is why no team is there now and probably won't be for a long time.