The real culprit

Outkast

I can't recall exaclty who the author was, but ESPN did a rather large feature article on Bill Polian's situation with Ralph and what led to the firing. The gist of the article was that Polian did not see eye-to-eye with Jeff Littman, who was Ralph's chief financial guy for all of Ralph's businesses, including the Bills.

The article suggested that Polian and Littman detested each other and that the relationship was untenable, forcing Ralph to choose between the two.

I realize this might paint Ralph in a false light as the poor guy in the middle, but the article suggested that Polian gave Ralph a "it's him or me" sort of ultimatum and that Ralph went with Littman.

I don't know how much of the above is true, but it is generally known that Polian can be very tempramental and blunt. Maybe that was too much for Ralph, or maybe Polian was telling Ralph things he needed to hear but didn't want to acknowledge.

You could argue the case all day about Ralph being cheap. What can't be argued is his loyalty. He's had plenty of opportunities to move his team but hasn't, because he's an old school owner who believes that the league is better by spreading its presence everywhere, as opposed to just the most profitable markets. I believe he's kept the team in Buffalo for what he feels is the good of the league. And when he dies, the future of the team in Buffalo will be in very serious jeopardy.

I can't recall exaclty who the author was, but ESPN did a rather large feature article on Bill Polian's situation with Ralph and what led to the firing.  The gist of the article was that Polian did not see eye-to-eye with Jeff Littman, who was Ralph's chief financial guy for all of Ralph's businesses, including the Bills.

The article suggested that Polian and Littman detested each other and that the relationship was untenable, forcing Ralph to choose between the two. 

I realize this might paint Ralph in a false light as the poor guy in the middle, but the article suggested that Polian gave Ralph a "it's him or me" sort of ultimatum and that Ralph went with Littman. 

I don't know how much of the above is true, but it is generally known that Polian can be very tempramental and blunt.  Maybe that was too much for Ralph, or maybe Polian was telling Ralph things he needed to hear but didn't want to acknowledge. 

You could argue the case all day about Ralph being cheap.  What can't be argued is his loyalty.  He's had plenty of opportunities to move his team but hasn't, because he's an old school owner who believes that the league is better by spreading its presence everywhere, as opposed to just the most profitable markets.  I believe he's kept the team in Buffalo for what he feels is the good of the league.  And when he dies, the future of the team in Buffalo will be in very serious jeopardy.

533338[/snapback]

i also don't think any of us know anything about littman's value to ralph's other business dealings.

Guest BackInDaDay
You could argue the case all day about Ralph being cheap.  What can't be argued is his loyalty.  He's had plenty of opportunities to move his team but hasn't, because he's an old school owner who believes that the league is better by spreading its presence everywhere, as opposed to just the most profitable markets.  I believe he's kept the team in Buffalo for what he feels is the good of the league.  And when he dies, the future of the team in Buffalo will be in very serious jeopardy.

533338[/snapback]

Ralph Wilson and his fellow AFL owners were wise enough to throw all of the money their league made into a kitty and divide it equally, regardless of the size of each team's market. After the AFL merged into the NFL, Wilson spearheaded the effort to install his league's 'revenue sharing' plan. With the professional game increasing in popularity, the money being paid to the league by NBC and CBS for the exclusive rights to broadcast the NFL, made all the league and all it's owners a lot of money.

Revenue sharing is at the heart of the NFL's ability to subsidise it's small market partners which keeps franchises operating in floundering geo-economic areas.

Wilson's a league guy. His vision serves the financial health of the entire league.

Wilson's a Wilson guy. His vision serves small-market owners better than large-market owners. He pays less to maintain his operation in Buffalo.

Add to this the State of NYs willingness to forgive a multi-million dollar loan Ralph took to build his field-house, and the multi-million dollar 'matching funds' grant for stadium upgrades, and Wilson's got a pretty sweet deal up in Erie County.

The only thing that would drive a new Bills owner out of Buffalo would be an enormous purchase price that can only be recouped by moving the franchise to a more economicaly viable area. There may not be many area left in the country that could promise the returns necessary to warrant the move, so a prospective buyer would have to have enough wealth to weather years of being in the red, or Ralph's heirs may have themselves a football team - like it or not.