Marv's quote...

The Senator

I'm sure many have already heard it on Howard Simon's show this AM, - last nite at Marv was asked about his interest in coaching again. His reply was someting like...

"I have to be careful about this. I have been contacted by two teams about coaching again, and I'm thinking about it. One of them is not the Bills. And that's all I can say."

That would seem to imply that the other team IS the Bills.

Marv

Bring back Marv!

I'm sure many have already heard it on Howard Simon's show this AM, - last nite at Marv was asked about his interest in coaching again.  His reply was someting like...

"I have to be careful about this.  I have been contacted by two teams about coaching again, and I'm thinking about it.  One of them is not the Bills.  And that's all I can say."

Marv

Bring back Marv!

530838[/snapback]

:doh:

Umm, your link doesn't show any of that info....  :doh:

530847[/snapback]

Yeah, I know - I wish the actual quote was in there but trust me - anyone who listened to the show heard the exact same thing - Simon played it over and over and it was the topic for a good portion of his show - also was the main topic Simon's interview with Larry Felser this morning.

Yeah, I know - I wish the actual quote was in there but trust me - anyone who listened to the show heard the exact same thing - Simon played it over and over and it was the topic for a good portion of his show - also was the main topic Simon's interview with Larry Felser this morning.

530872[/snapback]

It definately sounds like something Marv would say. :doh:

Too bad they don't link the audio...

CW

Remember two things here, guys. First of all "he's been contacted by two teams about coming back to work in the NFL" doesn't mean they were asking him to be HC (see the Dan Reeves thread). Secondly, my good friend The Senator, is on a campaign and has been known to strech the truth and frame the facts in a way that suits his needs, so be careful when interpreting. :doh:

With that said, it IS intresting is Marv actually said "and one of them isn't the Bills".

Did ANYONE else hear this?

Remember two things here, guys.  First of all "he's been contacted by two teams about coming back to work in the NFL" doesn't mean they were asking him to be HC (see the Dan Reeves thread).  Secondly, my good friend The Senator, is on a campaign and has been known to strech the truth and frame the facts in a way that suits his needs, so be careful when interpreting.  :doh:

With that said, it IS intresting is Marv actually said "and one of them isn't the Bills".

Did ANYONE else hear this?

530888[/snapback]

My quote is verbatim. Someone...anyone...help me out here.

(Bring back Marv.)

My quote is verbatim.  Someone...anyone...help me out here.

(Bring back Marv.)

530897[/snapback]

I heard it this morning as well.

Last night before I heard this I didn't think in a million years he would be back.

Now I think differently.

Marv will be back to "right the ship".

Good.

I think they ought to consider firing both TD and MM right now, appointing Marv general manager and interim head coach, and have Marv stay on as General Manager and conduct the search for head coach after the season ends. No point in prolonging the agony for TD and MM (and US!) and gives Marv time to evaluate and get ready for the draft and free agency.

I think they ought to consider firing both TD and MM right now, appointing Marv general manager and interim head coach, and have Marv stay on as General Manager and conduct the search for head coach after the season ends.  No point in prolonging the agony for TD and MM (and US!) and gives Marv time to evaluate and get ready for the draft and free agency.

530913[/snapback]

Well if that's what you think, then we probably shoulddo the opposite. :doh::w00t:

I heard it this morning as well.

Last night before I heard this I didn't think in a million years he would be back. 

Now I think differently. 

Marv will be back to "right the ship".

Good.

530906[/snapback]

Are you on The Senator's payroll? Well, while you may be an operative, I'll take this as verification. And while I LOVE Marv Levy...I do think he's a little long in the tooth to be an NFL head coach.

With that said, perhaps tennesee is on to something. Hire Marv to help hire the next regime. If that included a stint as GM or HC, so be it. But it should be with an eye to passing the torch.

As for WM's reaction to an erudite quote, Jest...maybe it's time the kid went to class. Pass out dictionaries with the playbook!

I think they ought to consider firing both TD and MM right now, appointing Marv general manager and interim head coach, and have Marv stay on as General Manager and conduct the search for head coach after the season ends.  No point in prolonging the agony for TD and MM (and US!) and gives Marv time to evaluate and get ready for the draft and free agency.

530913[/snapback]

I think this is the way to go.

Let me say this, about that .....

I like Marv, I really REALLY do. As a Bills fan I apprieciated what he did while he was our HC. But what he did then was then, and unfortunatly now is NOT then.

I'm not saying he couldn't be a fine coach, he may be even able to recapture the lightning in a bottle that was the Bills of the 90s ..... BUT .... this team is in dire straights right now, we need a long term solution, we will not be fixed overnight. Marv can not rebuild this team next year, and probably not even the year after. IMHO he is smart enough to know that if he comes back, and we have another horrid year or two he'll be vilified. I would hazard a guess that he'd be much happier being known as the coach that won 4 straight division titles, than the coach that was run out of Buffalo after a few bad years because he couldn't win.

While I don't think Marv will be successful trying to be HC again, I really think he would be great teamed up with Modrak as GM. Modrak in charge of the buisness side and Marv in charge of player/personnel (coach) decisions.

I'm not sure Modrak would stick around if TD left, but I think they could make a good team.

I could disagree more macaroni.

A head football coach is more of an administrator and leader than an X & O guy anyway. Greggo was a great X and O guy, couldn't lead a team. MM was a decent (depends who you speak to) X and O guy, but can't really make the transition to leader.

Take a look at guys like Vermeil, Gibbs, Parcells and even Herm Edwards of the Jets, they don't X and O the opposition to death. Thats the job of the coordinators. These guys motivate and inspire the team. They're like CEOs, laying out the big picture with broad brush strokes and managing people. It falls to middle management (coordinators & position coaches) to make the CEO's vision possible.

Now, you tell me that if Marv was brought back, supported by Wyche as OC and Capers as DC, April as ST, that we wouldn't have a decent staff? That a Pro Football Hall-ofFamer wouldn't have the respect of every single player in the room, especially when they saw how Marv was treated by the fans & owner. I think Marv would do one helluva job here, I really do. It would be an era of truly good feelings. I do agree with TD on one thing, I think there is more talent on this team than 4-12, and I think an inspirational leader would get the most out of it. We haven't had one of those since...well Marv I.

Hiring Marv and keeping Donahoe would be tantamount to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic

530957[/snapback]

I'd move mine closer to the lifeboats! :doh:

I think there's little chance of Marv coming here as HC. With that said, I think there's LESS of a chance TD will be here as GM.

I could disagree more macaroni. 

Now, you tell me that if Marv was brought back, supported by Wyche as OC and Capers as DC, April as ST, that we wouldn't have a decent staff?  That a Pro Football Hall-ofFamer wouldn't have the respect of every single player in the room, especially when they saw how Marv was treated by the fans & owner.  I think Marv would do one helluva job here, I really do.  It would be an era of truly good feelings.  I do agree with TD on one thing, I think there is more talent on this team than 4-12, and I think an inspirational leader would get the most out of it.  We haven't had one of those since...well Marv I.

530955[/snapback]

No ...... we agree on that point ..... Marv was and could be a great coach .... and as you say, with the coaches you've mentioned, he'd have a great staff. However, he still wouldn't have an offensive line, he'd only have half of a defensive line, he'd have a raw QB with only potential (certianly no "proven" production), he'd have a runningback who as much as not totally dissapears from the weapons list, he'd have a WR corps (if Moulds was released) with no proven #1 reciever, he'd have a defensive "star" (in Spikes) returning from an injury that we don't really know he can return from, he'd have an aging safety in Vincent.

The point I was trying to make was I don't feel Marv can turn around this team overnight (the combined reincarnation of Lombardi, Brown, Allen and every other HoF coach wouldn't be able to either).

I'm just saying it would be a losing proposition for Marv to come "home" and have a year or two of (what the fans would term) failure.

I'm just saying it would be a losing proposition for Marv to come "home" and have a year or two of (what the fans would term) failure.

I honestly don't think we're that far away from contending. I look at what we have, and how we can improve & I really can see some strong possibilities that I have discussed in other threads. Point is, we have fixable holes (provided JP becomes a legit QB).

This would have been a playoff team last year with any leadership, and I'm not talking about the Pitts game. The players openly said that they went into a 3 game funk after the Jax loss. Marv would have been able to pull them out of it, with some antecdote about tough losses.

I think this thing can be turned around in a year. But, and this is the bigger problem, the whole atmosphere around the team stinks. From the GM on down, they stink. The atmosphere is a losing one and the Bills have become victims of their own ineptitude. How many times did you believe duing the SB years, that no matter what the Bills would find a way to win? I never thought we were out of it, no matter the score. We had a culture of success and expected to win, much like the current NE team.

We need someone to bring that to the table. Unfortunately, there are not many folks who can. Marv is one of the few. The move works for the team and the fans. Let Marv coach this team for 3 years, and I'm willing to bet the whole thing gets turned around and we play in the AFC title game.

It would really suck to see Marv come back, have a few losing seasons and tarnish his legacy in Buffalo. Stay retired Marv.

530947[/snapback]

Thats why you put him in charge of the team as gm/president. It was talked about for over an hour this morning on gr55. He has an excellent relationship with Ralph and Ralph probably trusts him more than anyother person he knows when it comes to football operations. Let Marv hire a new coach. He knows what he wants a head coach to have and will find the right man for the job.

I dont know something about hearing Marv talk was calming. He chooses his words so carefully and always seems to know what he is talking about. Then you hear some of MM's comments and its its the complete opposite. All jibber jabber and nonsense.

I for one would love to see Marv come back to Buffalo. Im not talking about bringing back the old gang from the glory days either. No Kelly wont be OC and no Thurman wont coach the running backs. Just Marv. Let him use his years and years of experience to put together something good in the frony office and use his knowledge to help us in the draft. He will draft players we need - character is a term he used in the past when it came to his players. Many guys on this team lack that.

I heard last weekend, on the Thompson Brothers show (FOX Sports Radio) that Marv's name was being mentioned, in some capacity, in connection to the Detroit Lions...they didn't expound on it too much...kind of joking about it (re: "Things are so bad in Detroit, they are thinking of dusting off Marv Levy..."). I am not sure where they were getting that gossip from...

BTW, the more I think about Marv, given the other candidates, I don't think it is the worst idea I have heard...of course, the guy would be more of a team leader, it would be the cooridinators who would be setting the course for the team on the field...don't underestimate how much guys like Kelly, Thurman, Bruce and Reed really loved Marv Levy...old as he is, he does have a certain charisma, that makes people listen to him. I think he is someone that the vetrans would rally around, and the young guys would respect. He is a HOF'er after all...I can't really remember, after the 1986 season, any player ever really having any problem with Marv...

Are you on The Senator's payroll?  Well, while you may be an operative, I'll take this as verification.    And while I LOVE Marv Levy...I do think he's a little long in the tooth to be an NFL head coach.

With that said, perhaps tennesee is on to something.  Hire Marv to help hire the next regime.  If that included a stint as GM or HC, so be it.  But it should be with an eye to passing the torch.

As for WM's reaction to an erudite quote, Jest...maybe it's time the kid went to class.  Pass out dictionaries with the playbook!

530925[/snapback]

I remember a Thurman or Bruce quote that after a talk by Marv he ended looking up a word in the dictionary. Might not be a bad thing for Willis to learn how to use a dictionary

I'm sure many have already heard it on Howard Simon's show this AM, - last nite at Marv was asked about his interest in coaching again.  His reply was someting like...

"I have to be careful about this.  I have been contacted by two teams about coaching again, and I'm thinking about it.  One of them is not the Bills.  And that's all I can say."

Marv

Bring back Marv!

530838[/snapback]

That would bring tremendous optimism back to the Bills fans. Right now that is what we need.

As much as I like Marv and Ralph I don't think Buffalo should become a "Golden Pond"..........70 something and 87 is too old to be stressing over Football- Christ it is about to kill me.

531012[/snapback]

Would you prefer a Golden Shower? (...and "No, this is not an offer")

Bring back Marv! He could/would put a winning attitude back into this franchise. He has something the current coaching staff doesn't---respect. Sam Wyche has respect from the guys given everything he has done in the past. Marv can manage situations with players and they like playing for him.

Marv

Bring back Marv!

530838[/snapback]

One thing I didn't think of. If this is true, that means the Bills are out on the market for a coach already, eh? Probably means that Marv or not, MM is out.

It would really suck to see Marv come back, have a few losing seasons and tarnish his legacy in Buffalo. Stay retired Marv.

530947[/snapback]

First I will Give Marv his do respect, but for those of you who have selected memories Marv Bailed on us because he did not want to go through the rebuilding stage with the team. He then Resurfaced the year we got MM realizing that our team at that point intime had all the peices to bring them to a possible superbowl run and advaocated his return to the Bills but TD didnot want someone of his age and INFLUENCE in HIS organization. I doubt seriously MArv would comeback to a team that is not quite ready especially in QB unsurety and inexperience.