another sure sign of TD's imminent demise

dave mcbride

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+W...hispers2023.htm

"A B i l l s insider says that owner Ralph Wilson has been unhappy with the team’s direction since last April’s draft. Word is, Wilson believes the selection of WR Roscoe Parrish was a luxury pick that his team couldn’t afford, considering it had more pressing needs along the offensive and defensive lines."

Also, check out this bit on former all-world LB julian peterson, who suffered an achilles tear:

"It’s starting to look like Niners OLB Julian Peterson, a free agent at the end of the season, might not be back in San Francisco next year. We hear Peterson’s asking price currently far exceeds what the team’s management might be willing to pay, especially considering his uneven play this season."

something to think about with regard to spikes.

Why do you bring up Spikes? Are you suggesting he is asking too much? He has a contract no????

Why do you bring up Spikes?

529621[/snapback]

because he's set to have a huge cap number next year and, based upon the play of other people returning from achilles tears, will probably see a significant decline in his explosiveness and therefore his productivity. the question is, do you want to tie up 6 or 7 million (or whatever it is) in a middling player? guys (and positions) who rely on explosiveness for their game are pretty much never the same after an achilles tear.

So you want to cut him??

Or ask him to renegotiate before he even hits the field because you don't think he will be the same guy??

WTF??

529650[/snapback]

don't know. if it comes to renegotiating, it takes 2 to tango. he rightly wants to play for a winner, yet he's stuck with the bengals mach 2. also, getting cut is usually preferable to players over renegotiating, because it gives them a chance to hit the open market and secure another signing bonus.

I don't care if TKO comes back a little less explosive than he was in the past, He is a TEAM LEADER, on and off the field. He brings someting the bills need alot of, LEADERSHIP. You can bring in all the talent you want, without Team Leaders, you will not amount to anything. TKO deserves what he is getting next year. He is usually the guy who gets the team fired up, and that is something they have been missing since he went down.

I think this team has about 1,001 more pressing needs than addressing the Spikes situation or considering throwing a boatload of money at another linebacker.

529704[/snapback]

it'll all depend on whether he'll be able to run effectively and plant/explode. if not, then the bills will face a hard decision.

I don't care if TKO comes back a little less explosive than he was in the past, He is a TEAM LEADER, on and off the field. He brings someting the bills need alot of, LEADERSHIP. You can bring in all the talent you want, without Team Leaders, you will not amount to anything. TKO deserves what he is getting next year. He is usually the guy who gets the team fired up, and that is something they have been missing since he went down.

529688[/snapback]

But hey the fans want to cut Moulds too..... basically if you're not playing on a rookie-level contract for this team, the fans want you gone, leadership be damned....

JDG

But hey the fans want to cut Moulds too..... basically if you're not playing on a rookie-level contract for this team, the fans want you gone, leadership be damned....

JDG

529751[/snapback]

lest you think i want spikes cut, believe me, i want him to come back and play well. i am just concerned that this is the sort of injury that truly diminishes physical talent. the peterson report is sobering, because he had been saying all along that he was going to come back better than before.

it'll all depend on whether he'll be able to run effectively and plant/explode.  if not, then the bills will face a hard decision.

529709[/snapback]

If Spikes can't play, Spikes can't play. It would be a colossal disappointment, but you have to move on.

Regardless, I'd still take Posey, Fletcher, and Crowell with any saved money spent on the lines than Posey, Fletcher, and <Insert High Priced FA LB Here> with less money left to spend on the lines.

because he's set to have a huge cap number next year and, based upon the play of other people returning from achilles tears, will probably see a significant decline in his explosiveness and therefore his productivity. the question is, do you want to tie up 6 or 7 million (or whatever it is) in a middling player? guys (and positions) who rely on explosiveness for their game are pretty much never the same after an achilles tear.

529633[/snapback]

Yep. I hope it's a moot issue & he comes back strong, but people forget Sam Cowart was also a warrior like TKO. :doh:

Yep. I hope it's a moot issue & he comes back strong, but people forget Sam Cowart was also a warrior like TKO. :doh:

529762[/snapback]

Yep too true...Cowart could cover sideline to sideline better than most LB's ever dreamed before he got that injury...he was flat out a weapon on D...

The good news is that with every year the surgeries, rehab's, and treatments get better and better...The bad news is it's a nasty injury no matter what...

I think we keep Spikes. If we don't get another high caliber defensive tackle, I suspect we will have to go to a 3-4 defense and hard charging linebackers will be at a premium. We have so many needs on the line of scrimmage on both sides and we should use up our draft and whatever free agent money we might have to shore that up. we can't afford to lose him.

A !@#$ says that owner Ralph Wilson has been unhappy with the team’s direction since last April’s draft. Word is, Wilson believes the selection of WR Roscoe Parrish was a luxury pick that his team couldn’t afford, considering it had more pressing needs along the offensive and defensive

Who was the insider , I'm guessing it was not from TSW!!!, because we all were rose colored glasses here right? :doh::w00t:

don't know. if it comes to renegotiating, it takes 2 to tango. he rightly wants to play for a winner, yet he's stuck with the bengals mach 2.  also, getting cut is usually preferable to players over renegotiating, because it gives them a chance to hit the open market and secure another signing bonus.

529684[/snapback]

Actually, you are a bit incorrect on the renegotiation. The typical renegotiation of a contract involves converting salary money into signing bonus. The player gets a bunch up front at the renegotiation, and they you can amortize it over the life of the cap. It gives you more problems down the road tho...

For instance...a player has a 4 year deal for 20 million with a 6 mil signing bonus, and salaries of 2,3,4,5 million for years 1-4. Each year will have a 1.5 mil cap hit for the bonus.

after 2 years, the player renegotiates to lower his cap number in year 3. instead of a 4 mil salary, he lowers it to 1 mil, and takes the 3 mil diff in signing bonus at the renegotiation. so here are the old and new cap hits

Original contract

year 3: 4 mil salary + 1.5 mil SB = 5.5 mil cap hit

year 4: 5 mil salary + 1.5 mil SB = 6.5 mil

Renegotiated contract:

year 3: 1 mil salary + 1.5 mil original SB + 1.5 new SB = 4 mil cap hit

year 4: 5 mil salary + 1.5 mil original SB + 1.5 new SB = 8 mil cap hit