JP under 50% for the year

/dev/null

I'm not the biggest JP fan in the world, but all this tells me is we lack reliable check down options, that coupled with JP not properly knowing how to check down. He still puts way to much steam on his short passes, but a reliable te and receiving back would at least help bump up his completion % a little.

A more telling stat is JPs average time in the pocket .326 seconds before he has to scramble, throw the ball away, or take a sack

528390[/snapback]

I brewed a batch of beer today instead of focusing on the game, but this stat agrees with most of what I saw. This OL isn't CFL material. Pitiful.

It is ridiculous to pin this on JP. Especially for anyone who has a brain. Brady stands in the pocket and has all day. He looks left and says, " oh not open, lets try to the right oh not open, how about a cup of tea, Oh there is someone open 2o yards down field, I will throw it to him." JP says, " Wholly cow!! Run for your freaking life."

JP is really looking like the coach killer that many scouts thought he was coming out. He has great talent, but he doesn't seem to have the most important things: field vision, poise, accuracy, and a deep understanding of the game. At least not yet, anyway. ANd I'm not too fond of the idea of letting him learn for the duration of his contract before he becomes any good, at which point he'll be a free agent.

Just not seeing the type of moxie and gamesmanship that we were led to believe was there. But I'll be patient with the kid. Mularkey isn't doing him any favors.

JP is really looking like the coach killer that many scouts thought he was coming out. He has great talent, but he doesn't seem to have the most important things: field vision, poise, accuracy, and a deep understanding of the game. At least not yet, anyway. ANd I'm not too fond of the idea of letting him learn for the duration of his contract before he becomes any good, at which point he'll be a free agent.

Just not seeing the type of moxie and gamesmanship that we were led to believe was there. But I'll be patient with the kid. Mularkey isn't doing him any favors.

528412[/snapback]

HE'S A KID WITHOUT AN OL.

That's all you need to know.

528412[/snapback]

Which game did you watch? Certainly not the one where JP runs for his life as soon as the ball is snapped and has to look for receivers who are not open.

If your 7000 other posts weren't negative and it wasn't well known you dislike JP this would still be a bad post.

Please make the point that another QB would have done significantly better under the same circumstances.

well he is a rookie and he will get better

528394[/snapback]

Or he won't.

When will people stop believing that every first rounder works out? Only a third of them in recent years turn out to be the answer, a sixth make it as journeymen (ala Holcomb quality), and half are busts? I'm hoping JP makes it, but we can't blind ourselves to the odds. We may get more of the same no matter how long he is the starter, and we have to have the ability to cut our losses and be ready to move on just in case.

So - what would it take for us to decide he is not the answer and get a new qb to start over with? A full season as a 50% passer? Two? Three?

Coming into the game he was 106/206

a stellar performance today of 10 of 27 for 181 yards puts him at 116/233, or 49.785% completion rate

at least the 181 yards increased his ypg average <_<

528381[/snapback]

Well, he doesn't have the team that ROthlisberger had as a rookie....it takes time, which nobody wants to hear, but its not Lossman's fault we havent been to the playoffs in awhile

528412[/snapback]

Tom Brady wouldn't do much better with our O-Line. He didn't play great this week but he's coming along fine. I have seen enough to know given time in the pocket this kid will be good.

528412[/snapback]

JP, like any quarterback, need time to hit a few of those passes, and get into a rythym. That never happened, and he was running for his life all game

Well, he doesn't have the team that ROthlisberger had as a rookie....it takes time, which nobody wants to hear, but its not Lossman's fault we havent been to the playoffs in awhile

528467[/snapback]

Why are you so confident that if we give him time he will become starter quality? Why is he so different from the majority of first round quarterbacks?

Do you think Joey Harrington needs time?

Why are you so confident that if we give him time he will become starter quality?  Why is he so different from the majority of first round quarterbacks?

Do you think Joey Harrington needs time?

528478[/snapback]

Joey Harrington is an interesting topic- I think he is stuck on a bad team.

There is no way of being sure that Lossman will turn into a great QB. But, you can't judge a QB after a season or 2- there are just so many factors in playing the position at the NFL level....it takes time, and it would be crazy to give up on him now- he actually has shown quite a bit at times already- and has improved quicker than I had expected (I was thinking about 5 years at first)

Which game did you watch?  Certainly not the one where JP runs for his life as soon as the ball is snapped and has to look for receivers who are not open. 

If your 7000 other posts weren't negative and it wasn't well known you dislike JP this would still be a bad post.

Please make the point that another QB would have done significantly better under the same circumstances.

528424[/snapback]

Ok Max. All my posts are negative. Recently, probably. Because it's warranted. But dig a little deeper. Go back a little farther.

I want JP to be good as much as anybody does. But I have my doubts, even with the crap OLine we have. JP is simply not accurate. Not yet, at least. His #s don't lie. And yes, Tom Brady would make this a totally different team, are you kidding me? There's usually somebody open on every play, even if it means just for a brief moment. The QB's job is to find those moments and turn them into plays. JP hasn't done it enough to impress me, and I think he MIGHT BE a coach killer. I suspect that your snide reaction to that opinion is based in fear that it could be true. Cuz that would be pretty damn horrible.

I like JP. He's talented. I hope that he can mature and learn to see the field better. I hope that he'll cut his hair and not sound like a kid. I hope he'll learn to trust his receivers. I hope he'll learn how to lead them. I hope he'll not overreact to pressure. I hope that a better coach will bring out the best in him.

But I'm simply saying that I wouldn't bet on it happening because there's more evidence to the contrary so far. Don't like it? Well, there's reality and then there's hope. And I'm through hopin'.

Ok Max. All my posts are negative. Recently, probably. Because it's warranted. But dig a little deeper. Go back a little farther.

I want JP to be good as much as anybody does. But I have my doubts, even with the crap OLine we have. JP is simply not accurate. Not yet, at least. His #s don't lie. And yes, Tom Brady would make this a totally different team, are you kidding me? There's usually somebody open on every play, even if it means just for a brief moment. The QB's job is to find those moments and turn them into plays. JP hasn't done it enough to impress me, and I think he MIGHT BE a coach killer. I suspect that your snide reaction to that opinion is based in fear that it could be true. Cuz that would be pretty damn horrible.

I like JP. He's talented. I hope that he can mature and learn to see the field better. I hope that he'll cut his hair and not sound like a kid. I hope he'll learn to trust his receivers. I hope he'll learn how to lead them. I hope he'll not overreact to pressure. I hope that a better coach will bring out the best in him.

But I'm simply saying that I wouldn't bet on it happening because there's more evidence to the contrary so far. Don't like it? Well, there's reality and then there's hope. And I'm through hopin'.

528519[/snapback]

This coach is killing himself by drafting a guy who can make throws on the run and a RB who can break runs from the outside and not playing to their strengths. The middle of the line keeps collapsing and Mularkey won't hesitate to keep running it up the gut and setting JP up in the "pocket" to get killed. Meanwhile, when he rolls out he sees the field a lot better and has a leg up on the pass rush.

Mularkey is turning Losman into a coach killer by not turning him loose. This offense is far too conservative for any of its key players to succeed, especially with a garbage middle of the line.

We probably need two new guards and to find out if Duke Preston is our center. And that's saying that Mike Gandy is not one of the bigger problems on this line, which is pathetic considering it's probably the one place we all though would be a problem this year. And that's a lot of line upgrading to do.

It's hard to be accurate when running for your life. And even with time, being accurate also is related to being calm which again is tough for someone wit has little experiecne as he's had.

Yes, it's likely that the receiver is open for a split second and agreed it's the QB's job to find that split second. Certainly for a near rookie QB, that's tougher to do. But yes, you'd like him to be able to do that. But again when you factor in the line and the play calling, the odds of him doing that drop quite a bit.

As was pointed out 2 of every 3 first round QB's flop, so the odds are in your favor of being correct. But based on the amount of time that he's played and when factoring in the team around him, I don't see how anyone can judge him to be a failure other than based on the fact that odd are in his favor of failing. Unless you have better ability than everyone else to evaluate talent, but if you did, you'd likely be working in the NFL already.

You may be right, he may fail, but it will likely take at least two more years to find out, and thats assuming the fix the mess of a line around him. He commented often about the weak line he had at Tulane. It may be worse here!

528519[/snapback]