What GM Would Be Interested in Buffalo

I think that they would have to take a look at him.  He isn't an abysmal GM (see: Matt Millen), but I think "highly regarded" is just a bit too much. 

Or to put it another way, if the Titans are foolish enough to fire Jeff Fisher, I think that he could pretty much pick whatever opening he wants.  I don't think TD will be in that category.... he has a track record now of either being at cross-purposes with his head coach (Cowher) or else hiring weak and ineffectual coaces (Williams and Mularkey.)

JDG

526235[/snapback]

This is a terrifc response JDG, and buftex, it's not long that if you are a success everywhere but on the field, you will be a non success everywhere else soon enough.

when Tom Donahoe is so highly regarded in the NFL and was ridden out of town. Finding a quality/star GM to come in to replace TD may be a VERY difficult thing to do.

If I were a Ron Wolf (or someone like him) I would think that I could be in a better geography and position to win with teams like Houston or, even, Detroit...

So, the Bills will 'make do' by elevating Tom Modrak (which is not a bad choice). But if Tom M fails, then forget ever getting a established GM of significance to come to Buffalo.

526004[/snapback]

It is not that this team is devoid of talent....Thyey have talent at the

QB, WR and RB posiition on the offense.....and also a decent secondary

and may be portions of LBs corps...Plus outstanding STs.....

Any shrewd GM will find this position palatable....Rather than a complete

rebuild, this team is ready to reload and move on.

This is a terrifc response JDG, and buftex, it's not long that if you are a success everywhere but on the field, you will be a non success everywhere else soon enough.

526529[/snapback]

Except that TD was perceived to have been very successful with the Steelers on the field (something that is disputable, but it is fact that he was considered a success there) and has definitely been a success off the field with the Bills...he is also very well connected in the NFL circles...his manuver with Peerless Price's free agency has now become the norm, it was bold at the time...look around at all of the perenial crap teams in the NFL...there is evidence that there are owners who are willing to field a less than stellar team, if they are making money...

Except that TD was perceived to have been very successful with the Steelers on the field (something that is disputable, but it is fact that he was considered a success there) and has definitely been a success off the field with the Bills...he is also very well connected in the NFL circles...his manuver with Peerless Price's free agency has now become the norm, it was bold at the time...look around at all of the perenial crap teams in the NFL...there is evidence that there are owners who are willing to field a less than stellar team, if they are making money...

526565[/snapback]

What you say is true, but dumping Travis for an early 3rd was one of the best moves I have ever seen by any GM.

As pissed as I get at TD because of his stupid draft moves, every now and then he stuns me with a move of brilliance. <_<

That isn't so crazy, is it?

526546[/snapback]

I don't think so. I've read that several other teams have been interested in him but his dad said no. By all accounts, he's got a great mind for the business, and the pedigree's not too shabby, learning from one of the best. Plus I'm sure he's got some attachment to the Bills from back in the glory days... don't know if his dad's problems at the end with Ralph would preclude that though.

I don't think so. I've read that several other teams have been interested in him but his dad said no. By all accounts, he's got a great mind for the business, and the pedigree's not too shabby, learning from one of the best. Plus I'm sure he's got some attachment to the Bills from back in the glory days... don't know if his dad's problems at the end with Ralph would preclude that though.

526605[/snapback]

I think that Ralph and Bill are at least cordial now. If the kid was ready (and I really don't know that much about him, other than who his father is), I am sure Bill would give his blessing. I have serious doubts, however, that Ralph would be that much of a gambler...

Ralph will just promote Modrak, so the scouting staff remains intact.

526593[/snapback]

What if Modrak says "nyet", when push comes to shove. I am under the impression he is not the most predictable of people. Or, do you think that they already have an agreement that this is how things will proceed?

What if Modrak says "nyet", when push comes to shove.  I am under the impression he is not the most predictable of people.  Or, do you think that they already have an agreement that this is how things will proceed?

526617[/snapback]

I'm under the same impression. And if there is a deal already in place, TM would appear to be stabbing TD in the back... IMO I just don't see this happening.

I'm under the same impression. And if there is a deal already in place, TM would appear to be stabbing TD in the back... IMO I just don't see this happening.

526622[/snapback]

I am not saying I like it, but I give the Modrak - Brandon rumour creedence, because Mark Gughan reported it. Not that I think he is a great reporter or anything, it just seems he wouldn't have risked pissing off the organization with pure conjecture, unless he heard it from somewhere inside OBD....personally, if TD goes, I want Mularkey gone too...if Mularkey stays, I just assume keep TD for another year...

when Tom Donahoe is so highly regarded in the NFL and was ridden out of town. Finding a quality/star GM to come in to replace TD may be a VERY difficult thing to do.

If I were a Ron Wolf (or someone like him) I would think that I could be in a better geography and position to win with teams like Houston or, even, Detroit...

So, the Bills will 'make do' by elevating Tom Modrak (which is not a bad choice). But if Tom M fails, then forget ever getting a established GM of significance to come to Buffalo.

526004[/snapback]

I really don't think TD was just "Ridden out of town" without just cause. If you notice it doesn't matter where on earth you are a GM if you don't make the playoffs in 6 years you will have to leave. It has nothing to do with Buffalo and it has everything to do with TD's record.

526565[/snapback]

526565[/snapback]

Thing is, at least in my mind, he probably would have replaced Cowher with Mularkey if he had won his battle.

Where would they be if that scenario develeoped? I think indisbuteably far worse off than they are now. Hell, if he had won the power struggle in Pittsburgh, maybe they would not have made the playoffs for the last five years and we would have :w00t:

He has had some nice moves that I shouted out loud about! Like when he got Bledsoe and I said, ya baby here we go! I am an idiot though :)

He is not allowed to make these types of blunders.

For every hit he has, he has a strikeout. I called big Mike Williams a bust before the season even started, and where is he now?

I'm sorry but you can't make that mistake. And should he stay on the job what are we likely to end up with as our first pick? It should be a guaranteed home run.

I don't trust him this time, do you?

By the way, can you believe MM called the play that we snap the ball to Roscoe and have him throw it for three yards?

That may be the move that pushed Moulds over the edge. That was a joke call by

dah nah nuh nuh inspector gadget da nah nuh nuh :w00t:

And lastly I will never forget that TD is,

The Son Of Satan!

:D:P:lol:

Thing is, at least in my mind, he probably would have replaced Cowher with Mularkey if he had won his battle.

Where would they be if that scenario develeoped? I think indisbuteably far worse off than they are now. Hell, if he had won the power struggle in Pittsburgh, maybe they would not have made the playoffs for the last five years and we would have  :w00t:

He has had some nice moves that I shouted out loud about! Like when he got Bledsoe and I said, ya baby here we go! I am an idiot though  :)

He is not allowed to make these types of blunders.

For every hit he has, he has a strikeout. I called big Mike Williams a bust before the season even started, and where is he now?

I'm sorry but you can't make that mistake. And should he stay on the job what are we likely to end up with as our first pick? It should be a guaranteed home run.

I don't trust him this time, do you?

By the way, can you believe MM called the play that we snap the ball to Roscoe and have him throw it for three yards?

That may be the move that pushed Moulds over the edge. That was a joke call by

dah nah nuh nuh inspector gadget da nah nuh nuh  :w00t:

And lastly I will never forget that TD is,

The Son Of Satan!

:D  :P  :lol:

526732[/snapback]

There, there, let it all out... ;)