Pro Football Weekly (NOT Talk):

Rico

You know, I honestly believe that these "reporters" simply look at message boards, find out what fans are saying, and write about it. It makes sense -- if the majority of fans are saying it, then if someone writes about it, the fans will point and say "See!" so more people see the article, and the paper/magazine/website gets more traffic, thus more money. It's just way too much of a coincidence that EVERY time something is said on a board, the media starts saying the same thing... Bledsoe is a great example. Bills fans were trashing the guy, saying he's washed up, over the hill, can't play. Media outlets started backing this and saying the same thing.

I'm having less and less respect for the media nowadays.

CW

He lost me at Jerry Gray deserving a head coaching job.  I hope he gets the head coaching job he deserves-at an all girl high school.

522693[/snapback]

Actually, I'd kind of like that job. :D

Know of one available? :D

So then how come we have such poor lines? Is TD just over-riding TM's recommendations? I doubt it as if that were true, why would TM still be here? He's had chances to go elsewhere lately but supposedly turned them down to continue working for TD.

I'm, a bit skeptical of TM right now considering the personal issues we have.

Modrak is regarded in NFL circles as one of the most astute evaluators of football talent. He has served as Donahoe’s right-hand man when it comes to college talent, stacking the team’s draft board (one of the most important roles for any GM), while traveling the country to evaluate talent.

I think it's funny that he makes the best argument I've seen for Tom Modrak by argunig how little influence he has in decision making. Basically, he says he has nothing to do with pro scouting. Also, he just organizes the draft board but doesn't advise on final say on draft picks. He makes a good point about Modrak's pay being higher than some GM's. Maybe RW isn't that cheap.

So then how come we have such poor lines?

The DLine is just one player away from being as dominant as it was last year. Unfortunately that player is in Minnesota. While the Dline has not been good, I don't know if you can call that unit "poor" when it's only a single player away from being one of the league's best units.

As for the OLine, when injuries take away 9 different roster players from a single unit, that unit is going to suffer. Since August injuries have felled RTucker, KEverett, BSobieski, CVillarial, LSmith, TEuhus, MWilliams, MCampbell, and GJerman. That's 9 freaking guys from just one unit. It's no wonder we can't get anything going.

The DLine is just one player away from being as dominant as it was last year. Unfortunately that player is in Minnesota. While the Dline has not been good, I don't know if you can call that unit "poor" when it's only a single player away from being one of the league's best units.

As for the OLine, when injuries take away 9 different roster players from a single unit, that unit is going to suffer. Since August injuries have felled RTucker, KEverett, BSobieski, CVillarial, LSmith, TEuhus, MWilliams, MCampbell, and GJerman. That's 9 freaking guys from just one unit. It's no wonder we can't get anything going.

522795[/snapback]

To be fair, the injury to Jerman probably helped the line a bit. :D

But, I'm wit-cho on the others.

And all 9 of those injuried players are either average, or suck.

522808[/snapback]

Consistency (relative) in the line is important no matter what the talent level is. The OL coach can work with the talent he has if that talent is relatively stable.

But, you knew that...didn't ya?

The DLine is just one player away from being as dominant as it was last year.

Our D was ok last year, but wasn't dominating like some have suggested. I will offer up the end of the Jacksonville game and the 2 half of the Steelers game as proof. Losing Pat Williams this year certainly didn't help, though.

I think even if Williams had come back, our defense was in trouble as it aged big time over one year. We needed more than Williams!

522795[/snapback]

I think even if Williams had come back, our defense was in trouble as it aged big time over one year.  We needed more than Williams!

522837[/snapback]

I think a bit part of the secondary problem is the lack of pressure generated by the Dline. I don't care who is back there, if a QB has 6 secs unmolested to get rid of the ball, someone will be open and he will be found!

That's a good lineup for Slippery Rock.

Yeah, most of them are flotsam. But they're flotsam who are familiar with the offense and with each other. In fact, 4 of them (MWIlliams, Villarial, Campbell, Tucker) are experienced guys who've been succesful starters in this league.

We can poke fun all day, but that's a pretty significant hit to a single unit and there's not more than a few teams in the league who could weather it w/o going to pieces.

Cya