Moving Peters to LT?

VIPP

As far as I'm concerned the season is over. This is the time to see whether or not the backup's we got are worth playing, and signing the right people to contract extensions.

Case and point, peters to me has proven he is a worthy of a starting position. He has more than handled, dare i say it...DOMINATED..opposing DE's in his tenure as the bills starting RT. Don't believe me, just ask Jason Taylor, Julius Pepper. I truly feel that his experience as a TE will make the shift from RT to LT that much more easier and cheaper. If his level of play doesn't drop at the new postion, I say we lock him up long term and for real cheap!!

On another note, Teague is highly paid and overrated, I agree with my other fellow bills backers to start the kid Preston and see if he's the solution...if not we address that need via draft or FA signing.

what do u guys think?

Peters hasn't been that good. Don't believe the hype an story lines. While he maybe making good progress and learning he is barely starting quality at this point. That is good progress, but do you really want to start a barely starting person , on the worst offensive line in the league, to the blindside of a young QB?

Peters hasn't been that good.  Don't believe the hype an story lines.  While he maybe making good progress and learning he is barely starting quality at this point.  That is good progress, but do you really want to start a barely starting person , on the worst offensive line in the league, to the blindside of a young QB?

521711[/snapback]

Peters > Gandy point blank

Peters > Gandy point blank

521752[/snapback]

If Peters was better than Gandy then why isn't he at LT this year? I'll admit Peters has surpassed my expectations thus far at RT but wouldn't go as far as says he's got the job locked up for next year but definately at least see him as a viable backup in this league.

I think we need to keep in mind that Peters was an UDFA TE and a project. The fact that he's even playing moderately well starting at RT is pretty impressive.

If Peters was better than Gandy then why isn't he at LT this year? I'll admit Peters has surpassed my expectations thus far at RT but wouldn't go as far as says he's got the job locked up for next year but definately at least see him as a viable backup in this league.

Put down the pipe and watch the film. Peters isn't hype, he is playing very well at tackle and has gotten MUCH better every week. Oh and bye the way, He is twice as good as Gandy and IMHO he plays with a mean streak that can't be taught and that Mike Williams simply didn't have. Put some decent lineman around this kid and he's going to be fun to watch. Not to many other Tackles in this league would have gotten out to the edge as fast as Peters did on the Fourth down Losman run yesterday. I would love if someone could tell me how many sacks Gandy has given up over the last month. I think players like T Mcgee and Peters are who we are going to have to build this team around for the future. He played very well on Sunday, unlike most of his teamates.

Put down the pipe and watch the film.  Peters isn't hype, he is playing very well at tackle and has gotten MUCH better every week.  Oh and bye the way, He is twice as good as Gandy and IMHO he plays with a mean streak that can't be taught and that Mike Williams simply didn't have.  Put some decent lineman around this kid and he's going to be fun to watch.  Not to many other Tackles in this league would have gotten out to the edge as fast as Peters did on the Fourth down Losman run yesterday.  I would love if someone could tell me how many sacks Gandy has given up over the last month.  I think players like T Mcgee and Peters are who we are going to have to build this team around for the future.  He played very well on Sunday, unlike most of his teamates.

521802[/snapback]

and how many games has Peters played at LT? This is the same sorry arguement that BIG Mike is better than Bryant McKinnie. Despite what you may think Right Tackle is a DIFFERENT POSITION than Left Tackle. I'll agree that McGee and Peters are indeed part of building this team but they both have weaknesses that hardly make them as great as some on this board make them out to be.

If you read my post I never said anything about switching him to left tackle, I just thought your analysis of his potential was way off. From what I've seen he looks like he could very well develop into a dominant player rather than a backup as you suggested. I know it's very early in his career but I've been impressed. As far as switching to LT is concerned, I think he could convert. Afterall the switch from TE is much much more difficult and he has done very well at it.

and how many games has Peters played at LT? This is the same sorry arguement that BIG Mike is better than Bryant McKinnie. Despite what you may think Right Tackle is a DIFFERENT POSITION than Left Tackle. I'll agree that McGee and Peters are indeed part of building this team but they both have weaknesses that hardly make them as great as some on this board make them out to be.

521808[/snapback]

He's "played" more at left tackle. Just not in games. He practiced last year and all off season and all through pre-season and the first few games at left tackle. The only reason he is at RT now was because MW got hurt and then Greg Jerman the back-up RT got hurt. He played RT for the first time in his life in the first game I think. Which makes his ascension even more remarkable. He could easily switch to left tackle now and likely have the same result. Not great, but pretty good considering the circumstances. He might very well be switched back to LT next year.

Peters hasn't been that good.  Don't believe the hype an story lines.  While he maybe making good progress and learning he is barely starting quality at this point.  That is good progress, but do you really want to start a barely starting person , on the worst offensive line in the league, to the blindside of a young QB?

521711[/snapback]

I think it's worth a shot. We have nothing to lose and it would be interesting to see how he would do against top pass rushers.

I think this has been Jim McNally's plan from the start! In the offseason, Jason Peters starts to exclusively work at OLT so he can be ready for the position in 2006. I've said before, lock him in the weight room and have him stay in the "guest bedroom" at McNally's house! WHATEVER it takes!!!

I don't think it would be the most insane thing I have seen the Bills do this season, to give Peters some time at LT...if Mike Williams could ever reamain healthy, he is still the best RT on our roster. If Peters excelled at LT, and Williams could play more like he played in 2004, it would certainly help the Bills salary cap wise. They would avoid the huge "dead money" hit they would take in letting Williams go, and could spend some FA money on signing an experienced (and successful) RG. RG's are cheaper than tackles. Teauge is a free agent as well, so that will be another situation to watch. Gandy could be a back-up tackle, or maybe even moved to guard. Bennie Anderson and Joe Jerman should just sign for the vetran minimum with any team willing to give it to them...hopefully that won't be the Bills....getting pumped for 2006!

521711[/snapback]

If you watch the games you will see that we are already starting "barely starters" The offensive line sucks, the defensive line sucks, our lockdown corner is getting worse with every game so what is the harm of putting the newbies in and letting them prepare for next season? In my opinion barely starting is far better than what we have now. Play'em or just bench'em all!

Why do people give no Credit at all to Mike Gandy. This guy has played against top DE's as well, and has done well.

Why change them. Keep Gandy where he is and Peters where he is. Like it was said, Peters faced Peppers, the 2nd best and most Athletic DE in the game, ON THE RIGHT.

Just leave those guys alone and lets gain some continuity at OT. Get Bennie's ass out of here and hopefully preston can step in for TT.