Roscoe Parrish

Mikie2times

In 95% of the cases you can't get an accurate read on a draft pick until 3 years after the draft, but for some reason I'm very concerned about Roscoe. We all knew the guy could hide behind Lindsey Lohan in a bikini, but we were told about his lightning moves all camp. I at least gave him the benefit of the doubt because some players, no matter how small just might have it.

My question is where is the speed, where is the elusiveness? I'm seeing an undersized rag doll being chased down by LB's. Can his cast be throwing his speed off by that much? Personally I don't think he is in the same ball park with MaGee in terms of explosion, and with his size that’s what I was expecting. We need to send old Roscoe to Beebe’s speed camp.

In 95% of the cases you can't get an accurate read on a draft pick until 3 years after the draft, but for some reason I'm very concerned about Roscoe. We all knew the guy could hide behind Lindsey Lohan in a bikini, but we were told about his lightning moves all camp. I at least gave him the benefit of the doubt because some players, no matter how small just might have it.

My question is where is the speed, where is the elusiveness? I'm seeing an undersized rag doll being chased down by LB's. Can his cast be throwing his speed off by that much? Personally I don't think he is in the same ball park with MaGee in terms of explosion, and with his size that’s what I was expecting. We need to send old Roscoe to Beebe’s speed camp.

520026[/snapback]

Check out a replay of the screen pass he caught against Carolina last week.

And check out his big punt return (please ignore his mind-numbing fumble and backwards punt return.) The explosiveness is clearly there, but he needs to play smarter.

JDG

Check out a replay of the screen pass he caught against Carolina last week.

And check out his big punt return (please ignore his mind-numbing fumble and backwards punt return.)    The explosiveness is clearly there, but he needs to play smarter.

JDG

520059[/snapback]

I see strong acceleration and agility with low top end speed. If that’s the case he could be an ok slot, I was just hoping he had a little faster top gear. Also if this is the case wouldn’t somebody else be better suited on return? I thought Fast Freddy or Nate are better return threats then Roscoe.

I see strong acceleration and agility with low top end speed. If that’s the case he could be an ok slot, I was just hoping he had a little faster top gear. Also if this is the case wouldn’t somebody else be better suited on return? I thought Fast Freddy or Nate are better return threats then Roscoe.

520070[/snapback]

I agree, Kzoo Mike. I thought he would be a lot faster, and more elusive. I hate to say it--but he reminds me a lot of Antonio Brown, our erstwhile punt returner. Lots of speed once he gets going in a straight line, but otherwise not particularly quick. Then again, he's only played a handful of games--I'm hoping with some more experience he'll become more like a Dante Hall.

He has always been touted for his quickness and burst but not for his top end speed. We are getting exactly what we could have hoped to expect from him since his injury, but the real problem could be that a trenches player wasn't selected with his draft spot. <_<

I agree, Kzoo Mike. I thought he would be a lot faster, and more elusive. I hate to say it--but he reminds me a lot of Antonio Brown, our erstwhile punt returner. Lots of speed once he gets going in a straight line, but otherwise not particularly quick. Then again, he's only played a handful of games--I'm hoping with some more experience he'll become more like a Dante Hall.

520170[/snapback]

I was thinking the exact same thing. Unfortunately speed doesn't "do it" if arm-tackles knock you down every time. McGee succeeds because he can absorb/deliver a hit, stay balanced and relaunch on a new course.

He has always been touted for his quickness and burst but not for his top end speed. We are getting exactly what we could have hoped to expect from him since his injury, but the real problem could be that a trenches player wasn't selected with his draft spot.  <_<

520188[/snapback]

Quickness and burst are different from speed. They make you explosive and elusive. They don't make you fast neccessarily.

I agree - we're getting what we want out of him. (And I too would have prefered a lineman.)

520026[/snapback]

I was critical of the Roscoe pick because he really isn't THAT special. Yes, he's quick and fast, but to be a anything more than a situational guy at this level and at HIS size, you need to be Steve Smith fast and quick. He's not that. He didn't even dominate at the college level.

I think you are not the only one somewhat underwhelmed by his skills, he looks positively slow compared to McGee, slower than Clements and has less balance and is much easier to tackle than McGee, Clements or Smith. For most other teams he'd be the clear cut best return man, but here he kind of looks like a step down.

Drat a WR we don't need rather than a lineman?

Brilliant!

520210[/snapback]

Who from the OL guys picked in round 2-3 would have helped us this year? Adam Terry? Evan Mathis?

Duke Preston, who most of us have high hopes for, is struggling just as much as anyone right now. Any of the other 2nd round OL types would probably be faring about the same.

(55) Buffalo (9-7) Roscoe Parrish WR MIAMI (FLA.)

(56) Denver (10-6) Darrent Williams CB OKLAHOMA STATE

(57) NY Jets (10-6) Justin Miller CB CLEMSON

(58) Green Bay (10-6) Terrence Murphy WR TEXAS A&M

(59) Atlanta (11-5) Jonathan Babineaux DT IOWA

(60) Indianapolis (12-4) Kelvin Hayden CB ILLINOIS

(61) San Diego (12-4) Vincent Jackson WR NORTHERN COLORADO

(62) Pittsburgh (15-1) Bryant McFadden CB FLORIDA STATE

(63) Philadelphia (13-3) Matt McCoy OLB SAN DIEGO STATE

(64) Baltimore (from New England) Adam Terry OT SYRACUSE

(65) San Francisco (2-14) Frank Gore RB MIAMI (FLA.)

(66) St. Louis (from Miami) Oshiomogho Atogwe S STANFORD

(67) Cleveland (4-12) Charlie Frye QB AKRON

(68) Tennessee (5-11) Courtney Roby WR INDIANA

(69) Oakland (5-11) Andrew Walter QB ARIZONA STATE

(70) Miami (from Chicago) Channing Crowder ILB FLORIDA

(71) Tampa Bay (5-11) Alex Smith TE STANFORD

(72) Detroit (6-10) Stanley Wilson CB STANFORD

(73) Houston (from Dallas) Vernand Morency RB OKLAHOMA STATE

(74) NY Giants (6-10) Justin Tuck DE NOTRE DAME

(75) Arizona (6-10) Eric Green CB VIRGINIA TECH

(76) Denver (from Washington) Karl Paymah CB WASHINGTON STATE

(77) Philadelphia (from Kansas City) Ryan Moats RB LOUISIANA TECH

(78) Oakland (from Houston) Kirk Morrison ILB SAN DIEGO STATE

(79) Carolina (7-9) Evan Mathis OG ALABAMA

(80) Minnesota (8-8) Dustin Fox S OHIO STATE

(81) St. Louis (8-8) Richie Incognito OC NEBRASKA

(82) New Orleans (8-8) Alfred Fincher ILB CONNECTICUT

(83) Cincinnati (8-8) Chris Henry WR WEST VIRGINIA

(84) New England (from Baltimore) Ellis Hobbs CB IOWA STATE

(85) Seattle (9-7) David Greene QB GEORGIA

(86) Buffalo (9-7) Kevin Everett TE MIAMI (FLA.)

Who from the OL guys picked in round 2-3 would have helped us this year?  Adam Terry?  Evan Mathis?

Duke Preston, who most of us have high hopes for, is struggling just as much as anyone right now.  Any of the other 2nd round OL types would probably be faring about the same.

520249[/snapback]

Don't go adding reason to this discussion! Roscoe Parrish has the potential to be a game-breaker, a difference-maker. I think that he could be well worth the pick, even despite the OLine woes.

JDG (who has been known to be hard on TD for drafting skill position players high.)

Give the guy a break.  He is actually one of the few bright spots on this team.

He has run circles around guys, is tough, and is playing with a cast on his hand.

520241[/snapback]

I don't see him running circles around anybody. He's made some straight ahead returns on punts and kickoffs that offered hardly anymore impact then his predecessors. I'm not questioning his toughness; I'm questioning how he can end up being a good find for us at that size if he is anything less then electrifying with the ball.

Who from the OL guys picked in round 2-3 would have helped us this year?  Adam Terry?  Evan Mathis?

Duke Preston, who most of us have high hopes for, is struggling just as much as anyone right now.  Any of the other 2nd round OL types would probably be faring about the same.

520249[/snapback]

Great post. Thank you for bringing some intelligence to this board.

520249[/snapback]

I was praying for a CB, specifically Bryany McFadden as well as TE Kevin Everett with our first two picks but when we grabbed Parrish I had hopes he would be another Santana Moss.

I'm still not convinced either way but it certainly looks like McFadden is a player.

Great post.  Thank you for bringing some intelligence to this board.

520274[/snapback]

Is intelligence what you call completely changing the topic of this thread? I'm commenting on what I see in a player the Bills drafted, are people allowed do that anymore without having to give a list of 20 alternatives less then a year after the draft? I just don't see him making an impact, if you do explain why, if not save your opinion on what is or isn't an intelligent thread oh holy one.

520026[/snapback]

I saw the same thing and was a little bummed by what I took in today...though he is only a rookie...

Give the guy a break.  He is actually one of the few bright spots on this team.

He has run circles around guys, is tough, and is playing with a cast on his hand.

520241[/snapback]

I missed his great practices, but so far he hasn't run a circle around anyone in a game and I don't know about his toughness. I do know that he will have a hard time holding up in the NFL. You don't see a whole lot of broken wrist injuries in the NFL, in part because most guys have big strong arms and hands. There are Jills with bigger forearms than Roscoe. He also got injured on his muffed punt. It was probably just a loser's limp, and not anything serious, but you never know.

Roscoe's going to make some plays when healthy, but I think he has no chance to become a good #1 or a #2 receiver, and long term it's probably not the soundest approach to use early draft picks on situational players. People joke about using a top pick on a WR, but when Moulds and Reed are gone, Lee Evans is going to be teamed up with Roscoe Parrish and Sam Achin'. That ain't too impressive. Draft or not, they ought to be in the market for a #2.