Bad Luck is what's killed this team.

I know most people don't like excuses like this, but the injuries sustained this year have been extremely damaging. TD is actually a pretty good guy at planning ahead.

He drafted Clemens anticipating Winfield's departure. He drafted Tim Anderson and Ron Edwards anticipating Pat Williams' departure. He drafted Losman, McGahee, Evans....but bad things happen.

Why is it that we lose guys like Spikes, Edwards, Parrish, Everett to injury, and never guys like Coy Wire or Justin Bannan? Why, why why?

The first 2 picks of this year's draft were hurt in training camp. Parrish is just starting to come around, and Everett is down for the year.

Takeo's injury, combined with Edwards going down probably ruined the defense more than anything. Adams has failed to play hard, and Anderson/Bannan combo just shouldn't be the starting tandem. It was supposed to be Adams/Edwards with these guys coming in to spell one guy at a time.

Mike Williams has been horrible this year. They expected him to finally play at a level commensurate with where he was drafted. Anderson can't pass block.

Even with all these injuries, however, this team plays like a bunch of scared puppies on the road. There is no excuse for what happened in San Diego and Denver. They better come up this weekend, or fans will go nuts.

Why is it that we lose guys like Spikes, Edwards, Parrish, Everett to injury, and never guys like Coy Wire or Justin Bannan?  Why, why why?

517330[/snapback]

Because they never do anything? :D I mean, really..."How come we never lose guys like Coy Wire to injury?" How about: because the benches are aluminum, so it's not like he's going to get a splinter in his ass?

Why is it that we lose guys like Spikes, Edwards, Parrish, Everett to injury, and never guys like Coy Wire or Justin Bannan?  Why, why why?

Takeo's injury, combined with Edwards going down probably ruined the defense more than anything.  Adams has failed to play hard, and Anderson/Bannan combo just shouldn't be the starting tandem.  It was supposed to be Adams/Edwards with these guys coming in to spell one guy at a time.

517330[/snapback]

That's all well and good, but don't forget that Cadillac ran roughshod over the Buffalo D in Week 2, when TKO and Edwards were still in the lineup...and Dunn, Duckett and Vick weren't exactly being held in check prior to Spikes going down.

Fact: The run defense is suffering because Pat Williams was not re-signed.

Read this, it's good for a barf: http://www.startribune.com/stories/508/5749653.html

And who was hurt last year? NOBODY!

Sooner or later the law of averages play out. Last year we were blessed and had a veteran QB and barley almost stumbled ito the playoffs. This year we lose a few FA's, get some injury problems, and have a backup QB lead the way. I think we are nothing but a .500 long term ballclub considering the production of (Moulds,Williams,Spikes,Posey,Adams,Milloy,Vincent) is going down and yet those 7 names take up 60% of the cap next year.

We never really blew this team up like we should have, and now we may have to in order to get out of this mess. I think the fans have become apathetic for the first time since the 2-14 years and that is scary for this team's future in Buffalo

Fact: The run defense is suffering because Pat Williams was not re-signed. 

Read this, it's good for a barf:  http://www.startribune.com/stories/508/5749653.html

517346[/snapback]

Another FACT: The same run defense WITH Pat Williams was still run over

last year against the likes of the Steelers, New England, Jets, Baltimore...

teams that made the playoffs or missed it narrowly.....

The run defense was masked by wins against bad NFC West teams

during the 6-0 run.

(Shaun Alexander must have really been pissed with Seattle for not

getting a long term contract, and chose to not run against the bills).

Another FACT: The same run defense WITH Pat Williams was still run over

last year against the likes of the Steelers, New England, Jets,  Baltimore...

teams that made the playoffs or missed it narrowly.....

The run defense was masked by wins against bad NFC West teams

during the 6-0 run.

(Shaun Alexander must have really been pissed with Seattle for not

getting a long term contract, and chose to not run against the bills).

517361[/snapback]

Buffalo held Curtis Martin to 77 and 67 yards in the teams' two meetings. (Martin was also sacked by P. Williams for a safety in the second game). Corey Dillon picked up a whopping 79 yards against the Bills in Week Four of last year, before going off on Sunday night a few months later. Then again, the entire team was garbage that night. The great Chester Taylor failed to crack 90 yards during the loss to Baltimore.

I'll give you the season-finale against the Steelers.

Granted the 2004 run D wasn't otherworldly and won't rank among the all-time greats, but it was more than servicable. This year's run D is just absolute slop. So explain to me again how last year's run defense (with P. Williams) and this year's run defense (minus P. Williams) are comparable??

I know most people don't like excuses like this, but the injuries sustained this year have been extremely damaging.  TD is actually a pretty good guy at planning ahead. 

517330[/snapback]

Come on! Most teams have more injuries than we do. Look at the Pats dammit. They're decimated and still better than we are. They're a shell of what they were last year due to injuries.

We lose three players, Spikes, Williams, and Jennings with minor injuries to some others and we have injury issues? Let's get real. You're spoiled. We've had so few injuries that normal amounts make you think we're suffering an epidemic. The only player from an injury perspective that may have made that kind of difference to the point where we get spanked each week is Spikes and even his absence shouldn't do that.

Let's see how we do vs. the Fins who are without Zach Thomas.

As to luck, we've gotten some calls this year and lost some. Luck has nothing to do with the mess we're in.

I meant Oakland. Sorry. We lost the first half of the draft to injuries. And the core of the DL is gone.

We were 2nd in the league in D last year, and now we are 31st. Injuries, attrition, aging all contribute. Letting Pat Williams go was a mistake. But I think TD thought the Williams/Adams/Anderson trio could do something. They are not getting it done, and the guys behind them aren't helping much. Well, Crowell is doing nice work, and Fletcher gets a lot of tackles, but Posey is a ghost.

What they seem to lack more than anything is intensity. Hope they find it.

I meant Oakland.  Sorry.  We lost the first half of the draft to injuries.  And the core of the DL is gone. 

We were 2nd in the league in D last year, and now we are 31st.  Injuries, attrition, aging all contribute.  Letting Pat Williams go was a mistake.  But I think TD thought the Williams/Adams/Anderson trio could do something.  They are not getting it done, and the guys behind them aren't helping much.  Well, Crowell is doing nice work, and Fletcher gets a lot of tackles, but Posey is a ghost.

What they seem to lack more than anything is intensity.  Hope they find it.

517407[/snapback]

letting Pat Williams go was not a mistake. it was economics. Now after half the season he is playing well against weaker teams. You can't pay everyone that is on the team Pro Bowl money unless they make it to the Pro Bowl.

Actually, compared to most NFL teams, it seems the Bills have been pretty lucky as far as injuries are concerned...other than Spikes, the team hasn't lost a starter, that was any good, in some time...

517358[/snapback]

Haven't lost a lot of people, but Milloy is essentially playing with one arm. Fletcher has been sore. Edwards, one of our starting DTs, is out and the other, Sam Adams has a phantom injury (I know, I know, "they suck," but I suppose you're happier with Bannderson in the lineup?). Terrence McGee is actually pretty good and has been hurt.

But whatever. Everyone sucks, all the time, and nobody is hurt, and it's all TD's fault. I got the TBD memo.

I know most people don't like excuses like this, but the injuries sustained this year have been extremely damaging.  TD is actually a pretty good guy at planning ahead. 

He drafted Clemens anticipating Winfield's departure.  He drafted Tim Anderson and Ron Edwards anticipating Pat Williams' departure.  He drafted Losman, McGahee, Evans....but bad things happen.

The first 2 picks of this year's draft were hurt in training camp.  Parrish is just starting to come around, and Everett is down for the year.

Takeo's injury, combined with Edwards going down probably ruined the defense more than anything.  Adams has failed to play hard, and Anderson/Bannan combo just shouldn't be the starting tandem.  It was supposed to be Adams/Edwards with these guys coming in to spell one guy at a time.

Mike Williams has been horrible this year.  They expected him to finally play at a level commensurate with where he was drafted.  Anderson can't pass block. 

Even with all these injuries, however, this team plays like a bunch of scared puppies on the road.  There is no excuse for what happened in San Diego and Denver.  They better come up this weekend, or fans will go nuts.

517330[/snapback]

Bad luck doesn't have anything to do with how the entire team has performed. While I agree that the injuries to some of these players have been unfortunate, it still doesn't take away from the fact that we are losing a lot more than we are winning.

If you bring 10 out of 11 players back on a unit that was rated #2, it's totally reasonable that you'd expect good things the following year. In todays age of free agency only losing one starter is almost unheard of.

While it would have been nice to have Williams back on the D line, I can't hold that move responsiple for the Bill's D going in the toilet. I think TD made the right move in letting him go. Whats killed the D this year I think were a couple of injuries, though even before the players got hurt, they got real old real fast in 3 or 4 spots on D. Adams, Milloy, Vincent, Posey, and a little bit of Fletcher.

Should TD have anticipated that? Maybe, but when you look around there doesn't seem to be many teams good at predicting when that will happen until it's too late. I think it was reasonble to think you could squeeze another year out of them, and with some improvment on offense, be in the playoffs.

Where TD should have known better was on the O-line

Haven't lost a lot of people, but Milloy is essentially playing with one arm.  Fletcher has been sore.  Edwards, one of our starting DTs, is out and the other, Sam Adams has a phantom injury (I know, I know, "they suck," but I suppose you're happier with Bannderson in the lineup?).   Terrence McGee is actually pretty good and has been hurt.

But whatever.  Everyone sucks, all the time, and nobody is hurt, and it's all TD's fault.  I got the TBD memo.

517532[/snapback]

Oh yeah, wasn't thinking about McGee. Also, I didn't mean just this year, I meant in the last decade...I was always amazed, during the "glory years" of the 1990's how few "season ending injuries" the Bills sustained. It reamained that way for many years...I wasn't blaiming TD (I am not on the "TD must go" bandwagon, but I am not opposed to other ideas), just pointing out that, other than Spikes, this team has been relatively healthy, when you look at what other teams have faced...I don't really think that injuries are the root of the Bills problems, as Ed Roch seems to be saying...

Haven't lost a lot of people, but Milloy is essentially playing with one arm.  Fletcher has been sore.  Edwards, one of our starting DTs, is out and the other, Sam Adams has a phantom injury (I know, I know, "they suck," but I suppose you're happier with Bannderson in the lineup?).  Terrence McGee is actually pretty good and has been hurt.

But whatever.  Everyone sucks, all the time, and nobody is hurt, and it's all TD's fault.  I got the TBD memo.

517532[/snapback]

And Coy Wire cannot play one snap correctly with the game on the line,

substituting for the injured Milloy.

Haven't lost a lot of people, but Milloy is essentially playing with one arm.  Fletcher has been sore.  Edwards, one of our starting DTs, is out and the other, Sam Adams has a phantom injury (I know, I know, "they suck," but I suppose you're happier with Bannderson in the lineup?).  Terrence McGee is actually pretty good and has been hurt.

517532[/snapback]

And Coy Wire cannot play one snap correctly with the game on the line,

substituting for the injured Milloy.

He drafted Clemens anticipating Winfield's departure.  He drafted Tim Anderson and Ron Edwards anticipating Pat Williams' departure.  He drafted Losman, McGahee, Evans....but bad things happen.

The first 2 picks of this year's draft were hurt in training camp.  Parrish is just starting to come around, and Everett is down for the year.

Mike Williams has been horrible this year.  They expected him to finally play at a level commensurate with where he was drafted.  Anderson can't pass block. 

Even with all these injuries, however, this team plays like a bunch of scared puppies on the road.  There is no excuse for what happened in San Diego and Denver.  They better come up this weekend, or fans will go nuts.

517330[/snapback]

No, I don't buy that. When Sam and TKO weren't starting, the D really picked it up and allowed fewer yards on the ground and fewer points!!! Go look it up. This team has no heart whatsoever and it's age is really catching up with us.

I wish the entire O-line had been injured so we can put in guys who are at least average and competent.