Hmmm..get rid of Moulds,Clements...

Tcali

Your question is tough to answer. For one thing, the season isn't over. TD will certainly have to see how Moulds holds up in the final games.

Also, the cap spaced to be gained is tempting. I would rather overpay a young Steve Hutchinson than an aging, bitching Eric Moulds.

This decision will probably hinge upon what can be done with the extra cap space, or so I see it.

I also think the last 5 games will determine if EM is here in 06. If, as I expect, he builds some chemistry with JP and has a few big games, then I don't see how TD can't bring him back for 06.

I want the lines fixed as much as anyone, but I'm a little sick of the Bills being the proverbial boy putting his finger in the leak, watching a new one open every year. There has to be a way to sign a guy like Hutch and keep EM. With all our potential cuts (MW, Posey, Adams? etc.), guys not being re-signed (Teague), and the expected rise in the cap, we ought to be able to do both.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not convinced that he's the answer. We used to have a young kid in here by the name of Bobby Collins who everyone thought would be a threat. He wasn't.

I'll believe it when I see it. An uncertainty such as him is not enough justification to cut our best receiver. And yes, he is our best receiver by far.

Introducing Kevin Everett.

Evans will get better.

10.8 mill is a lot of cap room.  A lot.  You expect production that warrants it.  We'll see how Eric looks these last few games.  It sounds as though he has finally at least bought into the fact that JP is the best quarterback for the team right now.  That has to help.

516654[/snapback]

Like who?  And I'm only talking acquire-able, free agents here.  Don't tell me Marvin Harrison or Chad Johnson.

Add in a 48 yard game winning TD against the Panthers and how would he look?  How about all those early throws JP missed in the first 4 games?  Holcomb doesn't exactly have a bazooka, so maybe that dragged down his YPC a bit.  Remember it takes two to tango, don't look at the numbers in a vacuum.

Lets take a look at what happens the next 5 games.  JP seemed to be establishing a bit of a connection with EM, and I expect when you compare his numbers from the last 5 games, they will be much improved.

516435[/snapback]

EXACTLY---that 48 yarder plus many others...and the frustration of knowing you aree not gonna get the ball when you are open because of no blocking or early JP inaccuracy.I am encouraged by JPs progress as well though.

Not convinced that he's the answer. We used to have a young kid in here by the name of Bobby Collins who everyone thought would be a threat.  He wasn't.

I'll believe it when I see it.  An uncertainty such as him is not enough justification to cut our best receiver.  And yes, he is our best receiver by far.

516817[/snapback]

WOW--Bobby Collins----totally forgot about that guy--nice knowledge:)

i'd be willing to bet that moulds will end up making what i say he'll make if he's cut. how much do more productive aging receivers make like galloway, keyshawn johnson, terry glenn, keenan mccardell, etc. make? in the $2 million range if they're lucky.

516593[/snapback]

EM is still better than all of those guys--

People keep mentioning 10.8mil as a lot of money, but we don't save that much by cutting EM do we? Our savings are less, and we lose a talented receiver. I would rather see him stay than give TD 5mil or so to spend the way he spends.

So, if I was TD, I'd cut MW, Moulds, Posey, & Fat Bennie, saving $12M in cap space. I'd try to sign Nate (franchise if necessary), find a replacement for Moulds, and put the rest in the lines. Will he do it? I sure hope so, but I can see at least one messy extension in the future. :doh:

516175[/snapback]

Cut Moulds?

I still fail to see how we get better by cutting our best offensive player and savviest veteran leader.

MOULDS MUST STAY! - Stop the Insanity!

JDG

Sorry Mrs Moulds...

Has he been consistently getting good separation?  Has he consistently been making tough catched and YAC?  I like EM - want him to stay. But after 10 yrs - it's almost time to call it a day. Almost.

516244[/snapback]

Yes.

What games have you been watching? Moulds has made twice as many tough catches this year than anybody else on this team, and I don't have access to YAC numbers, but I am very certain that he leads the team in YAC in traffic (i.e. not just YAC accumulated after getting behind the entire defense).

MOULDS MUST STAY - Stop the Insanity!

JDG

I thought we should have traded Moulds last summer.  That would have been the last time Buffalo could get something decent for him, IMO.  Nothing personal, but from a value standpoint, that should have been the time.  I think his value has diminished considerably since last summer.

516282[/snapback]

I think we would have had a hard time getting a 3rd Round pick for Moulds - that's the nature of the NFL Trade market. Definitely not worth it.

JDG

Hey, I like that...

This will now be my response to any crazy talk regarding cutting Moulds... unless TO comes in as a replacement.

Yes.

What games have you been watching?    Moulds has made twice as many tough catches this year than anybody else on this team, and I don't have access to YAC numbers, but I am very certain that he leads the team in YAC in traffic (i.e. not just YAC accumulated after getting behind the entire defense).

JDG

516870[/snapback]

another thing ive noticed(talking about moulds production), is that moulds seems to be sent on a lot of short routes and mediume comeback routes...two plays come to mind of this..1). was when we needed 8 yards for a first down on a 4 -8 and we sent moulds 7 yards..first ill say i hate thos plays because we needed 8 so send him 8 not 7..he cought the ball but was hit before he could turn upfeild..2). when we put moulds either on the line of scrimage or just behind it and threw the ball to him quickly..first ill say that this play is my all time most hated play...why throw -2 yards to try to gain yards..especially when the receiver is standing still.. I can see throwing 2 yards to a guy that is on the move but to a guy -2 yards standing still..god I hate that...anyways..some of moulds low production needs to be blamed on MM game play calling.

516547[/snapback]

In fairness, this play worked brilliantly to Roscoe Parrish this week.... it also has the advantage of being very unlikely to result in an INT.

JDG

isn't daunte stallworth an FA?

he or wayne would look good for about 5.5-6 mill a year, our marginal cost on moulds (he has already been paid much of his current cap hit).

if we cut moulds, milloy, and williams we can sign a bunch of guys and will have huge cap room in the future.

a new WR could well be an upgrade, a new safety is certian to be an upgrade, and 2 or 3 new O linemen would be massive.

that said, i'd like moulds at a cheaper price.

I think we would have had a hard time getting a 3rd Round pick for Moulds - that's the nature of the NFL Trade market.   Definitely not worth it.

JDG

516872[/snapback]

You are right. Salary might even be the biggest factor today wrt making a trade in the NFL. I am still floored by the fact that TD was able to get a 3rd round pick (that I am quite sure the Titans wish they had back) for a banged up rb with holes in hs game, and substance issues (among others) to boot. His low salary simply had to be a major issue.

I cannot think of a team who would pay Moulds his inflated salary, nor a reason for the Bills to continue to do so in 06.

Jmo.

okay you cut moulds save 5 million+ cool right, howeverwho in this years free agent market could you get to replace him? Reggie wayne is Peerless price. and no way in hell is he worth 5 million a year.

I strongly believe we can reduce his salery, and keep him, he is younger than TO and the lack of game breaking ability has more to do with his offense and not him, he is being asked to catch 6 yard outs.

Moulds is still the most talented player on the team. okay well maybe after peters