Bills Fans

splinter9

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I was not and, luckily, only had one loudmouth around me! What is "the Rockpile" anyhow? I saw the signs for it but could nto understand the "theme"!

514935[/snapback]

The Rockpile was the nickname of the antiquated War Memorial Stadium, that was the downtown original home of the AFL Buffalo Bills.

The "Rockpile" is a 2005 marketing ploy to package cheaper seats that did not always sell out.

Rockpile is my internet nickname I chose around 1996, in homage to the simple AFL roots and games I attended with my Dad. I wanted to sue the Bills but they have more seed money for lawyers. :D

The Rockpile was the nickname of the antiquated War Memorial Stadium, that was the downtown original home of the AFL Buffalo Bills.

The "Rockpile" is a 2005 marketing ploy to package cheaper seats that did not always sell out.

Rockpile is my internet nickname I chose around 1996, in homage to the simple AFL roots and games I attended with my Dad. I wanted to sue the Bills but they have more seed money for lawyers.  :D

514959[/snapback]

How much are those seats? I got 104 when I asked for "best seats available"! I started the trips to see Drew but my daughter fell in love with Niagara Falls so we went again this year! Losman threw at least one good pass ( to Evans ) and #11 ( ouch )looked talented!

How much are those seats?

$250/per seat, for seasons

Despite the fact that most are drunken !@#$s, there are a lot of good people in our section(s). For me, it was a great opportunity for ME to buy season tickets and have the chance to treat my dad to a game or two.

I'll be renewing for next year, and probably adding a couple of more seats.

I realize heckling is part of the fun of a game, but I find it more appropriate to direct it toward the other teams fans

514865[/snapback]

By heckling, I hope you mean good natured teasing. However, if you mean yelling insults or obscenities at visitors that's another story.

I don't see why fans of any team should be harassed. You pay for your ticket, and you should have the right to watch a game without being bothered. Treat others the way you would want to be treated.

Unfortunately fewer people are taught as children to respect others these days.

By heckling, I hope you mean good natured teasing. However, if you mean yelling insults or obscenities at visitors that's another story.

I don't see why fans of any team should be harassed. You pay for your ticket, and you should have the right to watch a game without being bothered.  Treat others the way you would want to be treated.

515018[/snapback]

Agreed! Unfotunetly many of these marauders don't see it that way!

Where is Cape Ann???

I don't see why fans of any team should be harassed. You pay for your ticket, and you should have the right to watch a game without being bothered.  Treat others the way you would want to be treated.

515018[/snapback]

Alot of fans from other teams bring the heckling on themselves by being Drunk and beligerant themselves. I see alot of fans from other teams that provoke the bills fans the moment they get to their seats. they get what they ask for.

one way to keep the riff-raff out is for TD to seriously jack-up the prices. :lol:  :D  :(

515008[/snapback]

Yeah that's also a good way to move the Bills out of Buffalo. :D

Anyway are people just NOW noticing this? I have gone to Bills games since 1979 and I remember people being even drunker and rowdier then. The overriding memory of my first game, besides Steve Grogan throwing two long TDs to Stanley Morgan, was seeing fans casually ringed around the bathroom sink...and they weren't washing their hands. :huh:

Yeah that's also a good way to move the Bills out of Buffalo.  :huh:

Anyway are people just NOW noticing this?  I have gone to Bills games since 1979 and I remember people being even drunker and rowdier then.  The overriding memory of my first game, besides Steve Grogan throwing two long TDs to Stanley Morgan, was seeing fans casually ringed around the bathroom sink...and they weren't washing their hands.  :D

515054[/snapback]

So true.

What about the beer bottle dropped of the upper-deck... And this was during the SB years, right?

The sh*t has been going on for eternity.

Last year at Miami... I was expecting to get trouble... Somehow I always know how to difuse it... Pretty lame there... Some good natured teasing.

Same thing this year at the Raiders game... I was all hopped up to expect trouble, never materialized... Even know there was one beligerant guy behind us... Even the Raiders fans told him to cool it... After halftime, he was a changed man... I think security gave him a talking to when he went to take a piss (I did help that he was near an aisle and a camera!)

Also at the Radiers game... Even after the game we talked to all kinds of Raider fans, all were nice... We rode the BART back to South Frisco... Some local Bills fans were riding also... Got to talking with them and one said that his 12 year old boy was wearing a Mould's jersey and a Raider fan got in his face and started going nuts! WTF... To a 12 year old kid! I guess other RAIDER fans jumped the Raider fan that was giving the boy the business... Security came and cuffed the bad Raider fan and hauled him away! Who would of thunk it... Even Raider fans doing the right thing!

I somehow think being a big guy (6-2, 230) somehow deters the assclowns out there... Not all of them but, it sure helps if you don't go over the top! :D:(

It happens everywhere and it is 99.9% alcohol related!

Yeah that's also a good way to move the Bills out of Buffalo.  :lol:

Anyway are people just NOW noticing this?  I have gone to Bills games since 1979 and I remember people being even drunker and rowdier then.  The overriding memory of my first game, besides Steve Grogan throwing two long TDs to Stanley Morgan, was seeing fans casually ringed around the bathroom sink...and they weren't washing their hands.  :huh:

515054[/snapback]

Really. In about 1965, I watched a guy cheer for the Jets as he drank the contents of a juice container. He got more and more slurred and blurred and then threw up on a lady in the row in front of him. It is nothing new. :D

What about GOOD stories of the Bills fans?

I went to a game about 5 years ago, alone with no tickets in the snow, figuring to run into the Lot One crowd. Bob Lamb had a ticket for me, BadOl gave me a brew. I was introduced to an older gent who was delighted someone took the nickname Rockpile and even remembered the place, so he fed me, gave me a Corona and a Swisher Sweet!

Another fan lets me camp on his lawn so I don't have to drive home on a Saturday night.

I went over to Kenny's Pinto and had no brews and I was handed three.

I went to McFadden's in New York City and was made to feel at home by mostly complete strangers.

I can go on and on about fun times, strangers becoming friends, people going out of their way to share blankets, parkas, charcoal, tarps, a free ticket, a free ride, first aid, or just bring "Rockpile" coffee at his tent before the sun had come up! :(

A fan asked me out of the "blue" to write his web site's Bills History column.

Over the past three years Bills fans have sponsored me in the MS Walk for over $1600 total.

Or I can dwell on the drunken fool who urges people to do the wave (when the Bills have the ball). There are bad experiences, I do not deny it. I guess I am just a "fortunate son". :D

SEE YOU AT THE NEW ENGLAND GAME!

I would like to know how fans are in other cities? Good and bad stories.

I have been lucky and never had any problem people around me at the games. Everyone was passionate but respectfull. The Tops family zone is a guarenteed place to not have any trouble because there is no beer. But also the 200 level by the tunnel has never been bad for me either. Neither has there been trouble for the lower 300 levels. But I have never been down in the endzone to comment on that. When I take my boy to his first bills game its going to be the Tops Family Zone for sure. I love to drink a beer at the games but sacrificing that beer for a good time with passionate but yet respectfull fans is worth it.

So...either buy better tickets or don't go.

It's as easy as that.

514925[/snapback]

Would you tell someone whose neighborhood is being overrun by gangs and drugs to buy a better house? I, for one, think attempting to clean up the unruly base would be a good thing. Easier said than done though, unfortunately :D

CW

Great post Rock. To answer your question, as best I can...

I have been to numerous road games to follow the Bills. I've seen them play at Giants, Jets, Ravens, Eagles, Pitts, Miami, NE and Tennessee. I do usually pay a fair amount of $$$ for tickets, figuring I don't go often and would rather shell out the bucks for good seats so I can see and enjoy the game. Generally, I buy from scalpers and am surrounded by the home team's season ticket holders.

Maybe its because I pay for the good seats, or am not a loudmouth jerk, but I've never had any problems (knock on wood). I generally start conversations with the other team's fans about the game, season etc., and things are cordial, whether the Bills win or lose.

I guess if someone is going to act like a jerk, they will be treated like one. If you conduct yourself appropriately, people will treat you that way.

Would you tell someone whose neighborhood is being overrun by gangs and drugs to buy a better house?  I, for one, think attempting to clean up the unruly base would be a good thing.  Easier said than done though, unfortunately :rolleyes:

CW

515236[/snapback]

Thanks! i ddi ask for best seats avilable! According to that post this is strictly a money matter!

If they are season ticket holders it shouldn't be too hard to inform security of an ongoing "problem" at a specific seat location. I had a group of falling down SD drunks next to me at the recent Charger's game who identified themselves as season ticket holders. They mentioned that they had changed their seats to the last row in recent years because they were getting too much stuff thrown at them. Usually, the talk bothers me but this time I was more bothered by what was going on on the field. Chants of 48-10 were the better of the belligerent, incoherent remarks. These guys were so asinine that even Charger fans were bothered by their antics. I am still tempted to let Charger security know of the location of these individuals but I sense they will get some with this Sunday's home game against the Raiders.

Maturity has a lot to do with how one acts at the games. Look around and use common sense. If there are kids around, park the smack and just watch the game.

Other than the Bills being pretty bad in recent years and the smaller Buffalo TV market, hasn't the past record of RWS overintoxication been a factor in why the Bills haven't hosted Monday Night Football (or Sunday) in quite a while? The kooks seem to come out for such events (remember the guy who climbed out on the wire?). I went to one MNF game at RWS where this guy was so ripped he couldn't pull up his trousers while showing his pride out on a exit ramp.