Clements Officially Delusional

San-O

The "Play Maker" is getting on my nerves.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9062135 :lol:

Try and cover someone inside 15 yards of the line for once.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Delusional

Psychiatry. A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence.

512689[/snapback]

Who is better? Have they ever been beaten for a TD? Clements had a terrible game at SD. Even so, he made a play by forcing a fumble and recovering it early in the game. Unfortunately, the refs blew it dead. The guy is a standout CB in a league without a Rod Woodson or Deion Sanders who clearly stands out. He's very young still, he's big, quick AND fast, aggressive in run support and a sure tackler and IS a playmaker, be it on defense or special teams. Oh yeah, unlike Champ, he is there every Sunday.

The "Play Maker" is getting on my nerves.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9062135 :lol:

Try and cover someone inside 15 yards of the line for once.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Delusional

Psychiatry. A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence.

512689[/snapback]

Yeah, he did a great job helping with McCareins, Michael Jenkins, Donte Stallworth, Doug Gabriel and Deion Branch for the go-ahead TD in that game.

I'm thinking that Smith is somewhat better than those receivers. Could be me though.

Who is better?  Have they ever been beaten for a TD?  Clements had a terrible game at SD.  Even so, he made a play by forcing a fumble and recovering it early in the game.  Unfortunately, the refs blew it dead.  The guy is a standout CB in a league without a Rod Woodson or Deion Sanders who clearly stands out.  He's very young still, he's big, quick AND fast, aggressive in run support and a sure tackler and IS a playmaker, be it on defense or special teams.  Oh yeah, unlike Champ, he is there every Sunday.

512763[/snapback]

Let's see after Sunday. I think a player like Steve Smith will fry Clements. Clements takes plays off and is a sloppy tackler. I see a three touchdown game for Steve Smith this week.

Let's see after Sunday.  I think a player like Steve Smith will fry Clements.  Clements takes plays off and is a sloppy tackler.  I see a three touchdown game for Steve Smith this week.

512824[/snapback]

I think he will and hope he will do better than lqast week! Look the kid is very good, better than Winfield, and every single one of us would go for the money. That being said, I hope they resign him because therre seem to be alot of people outside of Buffalo who think he is very good. I don't think they are all wrong, and watching him play he is very good. Imagine how many more points would given up against us this year if he and Terrance wern't on the cornors!!

Who is better?  Have they ever been beaten for a TD?  Clements had a terrible game at SD.  Even so, he made a play by forcing a fumble and recovering it early in the game.  Unfortunately, the refs blew it dead.  The guy is a standout CB in a league without a Rod Woodson or Deion Sanders who clearly stands out.  He's very young still, he's big, quick AND fast, aggressive in run support and a sure tackler and IS a playmaker, be it on defense or special teams.  Oh yeah, unlike Champ, he is there every Sunday.

512763[/snapback]

I aggree that folks are being too harsh in the assessment of Clements. My sense is that while it may be a legitimate "fan" based judgment of him to be PO'ed by his recent play and even more so by his words, this just isn't spund football judgment.

Clements is by far the best CB on this team.

McGee is good and getting better but is inconsisteht as a cover guy.

Vincent has a great brain which translates into him having an outstanding nose for the ball. however, he himself acknowledges the ravages of age none of is escape and made the move to safety himself. His history of injuries over the last three seasons show he is not be counted upon (even as a safety) in more than spots.

Greer and King both seem well set up for the nickel job/

Thomas has the talent to play nickel but god and the docs will have more to say about whether he resumes his career than his level of talent.

From watching too much football my sense is that Clements occaisonal bad plays are sometimes linked to the arrogance which makes him a very good and Pro Bowl worthy last year CB (trying instictively to INT the ball last year against Jax instead of simply knocking down this 4th down Hail Mary pass) and that Sunday's bad game was probably linked to inattention from him because his team is surprisingly bad,

This Sunday's challenge will show us a lot. He will not be inattentive this Sunday and if he pitches a shutdown game against one of the best WRs in the league he probably is one of the best.

If he keeps Smith out of the endzone and stops any pivotal catches I think he can be judged to be pretty good even if Smith racks up a few catches and yards as he always does this year.

If Smith burns him bad though it deoends on how it happens (for example we do not know if he has some nick or injury slowing him down) it does not look good.

My guess is that he will have a lot to prove this weekend and there will be dollars on the line for this FA. Though Smith will get some catches and yards, I think Clements will play well against him. If the result is the same as last Sunday against Chicago where Smith caught 7 passes and put up near a 100 yards but the Panthers did not score a TD, i will likely judge Clements to have had a good game.

512763[/snapback]

Could not agree more...Dont really know how the Nate Clements Witch Hunt got Started, considering he is by far one of the best Players on this Roster...And on a Team desperate for Talent I cannot for the life of me understand why some are trying to show Nate the door...I just dont get it. Do I think Nate is the best Cover Corner in the League? No, but I do believe he is among the best and he needs to stay in Buffalo...There is no such thing as an NFL CB who does not have a bad Game or two, or get beat for the occasional TD...Nate Clements is a very good Player, the Bills don't have many good Players...This Team will not be as good without him...

Could not agree more...Dont really know how the Nate Clements Witch Hunt got Started, considering he is by far one of the best Players on this Roster...And on a Team desperate for Talent I cannot for the life of me understand why some are trying to show Nate the door...I just dont get it. Do I think Nate is the best Cover Corner in the League? No, but I do believe he is among the best and he needs to stay in Buffalo...There is no such thing as an NFL CB who does not have a bad Game or two, or get beat for the occasional TD...Nate Clements is a very good Player, the Bills don't have many good Players...This Team will not be as good without him...

512855[/snapback]

I agree with everything you said, but he thinks he is the best and as such thinks he should be paid accordingly. I don't think he should be shown the door unless his salary demands are unreasonable.

The problem with Nate saying that is just that - he said it publicly. I have no problem if the guy quietly thinks he's the best corner in the NFL - just don't start telling the world you are. That's when you need to get smacked around - just like Nate did last week and Willis has since his proclamation as the best RB in the NFL.

Does Nate use Drew Rosenhaus as his agent, also?

The problem with Nate saying that is just that - he said it publicly. I have no problem if the guy quietly thinks he's the best corner in the NFL - just don't start telling the world you are. That's when you need to get smacked around - just like Nate did last week and Willis has since his proclamation as the best RB in the NFL.

Does Nate use Drew Rosenhaus as his agent, also?

512904[/snapback]

Well...

Don't get me wrong, I hear what you're saying...But if you think your gonna keep todays Top Athletes from inserting Foot in Mouth every now and again.... :blink:

Here's a dark thought.

Jim Kelly mentioned that Nate Clements was having a truly horrendous season for a guy in his contract year.

So, what would a "playmaker" corner do in his contract year? One possibility is to realize that a key indicator for getting into the Pro Bowl is to be among the league leaders in interceptions. Going to the Pro Bowl would be good a feather in one's cap for negotiations. Interceptions often occur by taking chances and jumping routes...

I wonder if NC is so busy trying to make SportsCenter highlight plays on every down, he ends up playing like Mr. "If I only had a brain" Scarecrow... :blink:

Bottomline under this scenario: if (and yes, it is only speculation), his suspect play is the result of selfishness, then the Bills don't need the guy, whatever his talent.

Here's a dark thought.

Jim Kelly mentioned that Nate Clements was having a truly horrendous season for a guy in his contract year.

So, what would a "playmaker" corner do in his contract year?  One possibility is to realize that a key indicator for getting into the Pro Bowl is to be among the league leaders in interceptions.  Going to the Pro Bowl would be good a feather in one's cap for negotiations.  Interceptions often occur by taking chances and jumping routes...

I wonder if NC is so busy trying to make SportsCenter highlight plays on every down, he ends up playing like Mr. "If I only had a brain" Scarecrow...  :blink:

Bottomline under this scenario: if (and yes, it is only speculation), his suspect play is the result of selfishness, then the Bills don't need the guy, whatever his talent.

512957[/snapback]

Interesting... Can anybody with Tivo shed some light on this?

Looking back does anyone think we should have resigned winfield. he was and still is one of the best tacklers at the cb position. He signed for alot with Minny but was he ever burned as much as Clements has been this season and he didnt run his mouth as much as Clements does either.