How many more years until we reach the playoffs?

Grant

I doubt this post will go ever well, but the Bills are definitely starting to look like the Bengals of the 90s.

We haven't reached the playoffs since 1999. That's 6 years ago now.

We haven't won a playoff game since, what, 1995? 10 years ago.

Maybe it's just because it's the week after a blowout and most folks are pretty down, but this team's future seems muddled at best. We need a major overhaul of the offensive line and help on the defensive side of the ball, which seems do-able. The coaches seem competent for the most part, except that our offensive coordinator is apparently only useful enough to fill a boxseat and little else.

But more problematic is that the team rarely exhibits any heart. How many come-from-behind victories have the Bills had since 2000? Not many that I can recall. Even with an improved offensive line, I can't see the core of this team taking Buffalo far past the wild card round (although I'd love to be wrong!).

So, what do you think? Are we just another draft and round of free agency away from a playoff berth? What about a playoff win?

I doubt this post will go ever well, but the Bills are definitely starting to look like the Bengals of the 90s.

Maybe it's just because it's the week after a blowout and most folks are pretty down, but this team's future seems muddled at best. We need a major overhaul of the offensive line and help on the defensive side of the ball, which seems do-able. The coaches seem competent for the most part, except that our offensive coordinator is apparently only useful enough to fill a boxseat and little else.

But more problematic is that the team rarely exhibits any heart. How many come-from-behind victories have the Bills had since 2000? Not many that I can recall. Even with an improved offensive line, I can't see the core of this team taking Buffalo far past the wild card round (although I'd love to be wrong!).

So, what do you think? Are we just another draft and round of free agency away from a playoff berth? What about a playoff win?

511579[/snapback]

I am as pessimistic as the next person. However, call me nuts, I still feel like this team is not that far off from being an upper-echelon (or at least top 12) team. It really is as simple as taking solid steps toward upgrading the two lines...when the lines play well, a lot of other things fall into place...I really don't think it has anything to do with "heart", or "chemestry", but really just fundamental inferiortiy in the most important areas.

TD has got to address the lines with proven players (and I think he will be back next year), not cut-rate flyers that he seems to be content with. For all of the bad moves he may have made over the years, one that puzzles me more than any is not so much letting Pat Williams go, but not making any attempt to replace him with a solid free-agent (Corey Simon was available, and the Bills had not interest), or a high draft pick...

As old as this team is in some areas, they seem to have enough decent young talent to replace the aging, and TD, like him or not, is not afraid to be active in the FA market...

I really don't think this organization is as bad as the Bengals were in the 1990's. Their problems were as much the rusult of neglecting the product on the field, as they were just being plain bad. TD, as much as we like to criticize him, is not inactive. We can question his results, but I am not sure it is fair to question his effort...

I am as pessimistic as the next person. However, call me nuts, I still feel like this team is not that far off from being an upper-echelon (or at least top 12) team.  It really is as simple as taking solid steps toward upgrading the two lines...when the lines play well, a lot of other things fall into place...I really don't think it has anything to do with "heart", or "chemestry", but really just fundamental inferiortiy in the most important areas. 

TD has got to address the lines with proven players (and I think he will be back next year), not cut-rate flyers that he seems to be content with.  For all of the bad moves he may have made over the years, one that puzzles me more than any is not so much letting Pat Williams go, but not making any attempt to replace him with a solid free-agent (Corey Simon was available, and the Bills had not interest), or a high draft pick...

As old as this team is in some areas, they seem to have enough decent young talent to replace the aging, and TD, like him or not, is not afraid to be active in the FA market...

I really don't think this organization is as bad as the Bengals were in the 1990's.  Their problems were as much the rusult of neglecting the product on the field, as they were just being plain bad.  TD, as much as we like to criticize him, is not inactive.  We can question his results, but I am not sure it is fair to question his effort...

511584[/snapback]

Dang, that's like twice in a week a post of yours has made perfect sense to me.....weird! :doh:

I'd say about 2 years- by then Lossman will have his act together, our OL should be much better, and Donahoe will get our D firing on all cylinders again.

I'm more excited about the process of watching it happen, than getting there

I thought about this for a while...

All I could come up with, is WTF knows? There are so many variables in the moves they can make this coming off-season...

My guess, providing they seriously address the line issues on both sides, find a quality TE and speed up on safety - is 2 years. 2006 as a shake down cruise. But, if no one else in the division improves significantly, next year 9-7 will win it. But, NE still has some gas left in the tank, and will probably be one game ahead of whatever we have, and the Wild Cards will once again come out of another division.

Rebuilding both lines has got to be a priority, and with the work that's needed (not to mention the talent needed) I see no way that can be fixed in a year.

If they dick around, and blow smoke at the line problems...what century does Star Trek take place in again?

I am as pessimistic as the next person. However, call me nuts, I still feel like this team is not that far off from being an upper-echelon (or at least top 12) team.  It really is as simple as taking solid steps toward upgrading the two lines...when the lines play well, a lot of other things fall into place...I really don't think it has anything to do with "heart", or "chemestry", but really just fundamental inferiortiy in the most important areas. 

TD has got to address the lines with proven players (and I think he will be back next year), not cut-rate flyers that he seems to be content with.  For all of the bad moves he may have made over the years, one that puzzles me more than any is not so much letting Pat Williams go, but not making any attempt to replace him with a solid free-agent (Corey Simon was available, and the Bills had not interest), or a high draft pick...

I really don't think this organization is as bad as the Bengals were in the 1990's.  Their problems were as much the rusult of neglecting the product on the field, as they were just being plain bad.  TD, as much as we like to criticize him, is not inactive.  We can question his results, but I am not sure it is fair to question his effort...

511584[/snapback]

I pretty much agree with everything said, and while I'm in favor of a possible GM switch if TD addresses the lines like he has at other positions then I don't care if he sticks around. Also contributing to our future prospects is JP, he has the skill to be an elite player, but does he ever evolve into that? Even if he becomes slightly above average next year that could bring a completely new dimension to Buffalos offense. The Bills passing game has been awful this season, and it hurts our ground game because teams can just stack the box. Things don't look so bright now but the Bills might be in pretty good shape for next year if JP comes around, and we upgrade the lines.

511579[/snapback]

Realistically I would say 10 years.--All of a sudden--after all these years--TD is gonna learn how to get good linemen??

One year....2006.....

Just a combined feeling of

JP's development

Roscoe getting comfortable

Kevin Everett

The quality of Interior OL in Free Agency and the quality of OT in the draft

TKO back on D

511596[/snapback]

Throw in a quality DT and I think were there. But the OL might need time to gell, so add three more years. :doh:

Realistically I would say 10 years.--All of a sudden--after all these years--TD is gonna learn how to get good linemen??

511709[/snapback]

10 years? You can't be serious; teams can turnover an entire roster, staff, and GM in 4 or 5. We have no idea what will happen with our young offensive players, or future draft picks. If you hate Mularkey, give him one more bad year and he's out for sure, same probably goes for TD.

We just got crushed on the road by a much better team, but this is still the NFL, and we have no way of knowing who will turn it around next year, let alone 5 or 10 years from now.

10 years? You can't be serious; teams can turnover an entire roster, staff, and GM in 4 or 5. We have no idea what will happen with our young offensive players, or future draft picks.  If you hate Mularkey, give him one more bad year and he's out for sure, same probably goes for TD.

We just got crushed on the road by a much better team, but this is still the NFL, and we have no way of knowing who will turn it around next year, let alone 5 or 10 years from now.

511718[/snapback]

I dont hate Mularkey--he has actually done a decent job.--Vince lombardi couldnt coax many more wins with what Td has done to the O and D lines

I dont hate Mularkey--he has actually done a decent job.--Vince lombardi couldnt coax many more wins with what Td has done to the O and D lines

511723[/snapback]

TD needs to go yesterday, but who is going to come in to Buffalo that isn't another cast off? with the Bills "climate"?

The Bills are tailor made for another city after Ralph dies. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, I don't think it is, but unless something drastic changes, the NFL will support a move.

This team is a wreck. Mismanaged. Period. That starts in the front office. They are seriously ripe to go elsewhere with new owners and a new administration.

we could get in next year

playoffs will happen if we go 7-1 at home (which we could still do this year) and sneak in 3 on the road we are in.

we could do that next year.

we get TKO back (making our linebackers TKO, London, Crowell) we get edwards back, we draft a kick ass DT, we might sign another DT, we will get a FA O lineman or 2 (for christmass i'll take hutch and bentley) and we get everett.

losing nate will hurt, but if we get someone of equal value to our team we will be fine, and we could put vincent back at corner (he is too small for safety) and let our young safeties who show promise to fight for a job.

that is

TE

DT

G

C

LT

LB

S

upgraded

with a possible decline in corner

and JP, evans, roscoe, willis all get better

I expect us to cut moulds, prolly milloy, lose TT, and renegotiate with M williams

Once God almighty decides he'd like Ralph Wilson to join him for breakfast then we might stand a chance. We would have to get a new owner interested in top performance on the field starting with the O-Line retsructure instead of an owner interested in making a profit and damning the W/L record.

10 years? You can't be serious; teams can turnover an entire roster, staff, and GM in 4 or 5. We have no idea what will happen with our young offensive players, or future draft picks.  If you hate Mularkey, give him one more bad year and he's out for sure, same probably goes for TD.

511718[/snapback]

This is a good point, Mike - as bad as things look now, sometimes even rosters with some glaring problems can still overachieve and produce results one would think would be impossible.

Such is parity in the NFL.

I think the question should be more so how many years until the Bills will WIN a playoff game. The way the league has been, the team could make the playoffs next year (hypothetically of course because until they replacing the players aging before our eyes, our Defense will resemble swiss cheese for quite a few years to come), but is that enough? Even when we made the playoffs, getting bounced in the first weekend was weak! So far, TD has not proven capable of building a Super Bowl Contender. Coach Malarkey has done what appears to be a decent job with the team he has been given. Not quite the same talent Marv walked into in 1986. Plus Polian pulled off a great deal for him (the Biscuit).

I hope everyone is having a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

The year after TD is fired.

511839[/snapback]

I agree 100% we will not make a playoff run as long as TD is the GM. TD never addresses the issues the team really has he tries to put a bandaid on it and then states he addressed it.

I agree with another person earlier thay corey simon was available why didnt we get him knowin pat is gone and Sam is at the end of the year??????

TD is really putting the purse ties on the team and as long as he does it that way we will never get to the playoffs under his leadership.

I believe the better century when Picard is obviously greater than Kirk takes place in the 25th

damn me for knowing that :blink:

I thought about this for a while...

All I could come up with, is WTF knows? There are so many variables in the moves they can make this coming off-season...

My guess, providing they seriously address the line issues on both sides, find a quality TE and speed up on safety - is 2 years. 2006 as a shake down cruise. But, if no one else in the division improves significantly, next year 9-7 will win it. But, NE still has some gas left in the tank, and will probably be one game ahead of whatever we have, and the Wild Cards will once again come out of another division.

Rebuilding both lines has got to be a priority, and with the work that's needed (not to mention the talent needed) I see no way that can be fixed in a year.

If they dick around, and blow smoke at the line problems...what century does Star Trek take place in again?

511628[/snapback]