Why isn't Roscoe Parrish being used?

Tolstoy

I am curious: why isn't Roscoe being used more? Didn't he look like a good player in preseason? I seem to remember the defense talking about how difficult he was to cover.

Some possibilities:

(a) he hasn't fully adjusted to the game yet since coming back from injury.

(b) the coaches haven't learned to utilize him.

© they just haven't had the right situations to take advantage of his abilities.

(d) he is not as good as we thought he was.

What do you think? It is kind of puzzling.

I am curious: why isn't Roscoe being used more?  Didn't he look like a good player in preseason?  I seem to remember the defense talking about how difficult he was to cover.

Some possibilities:

(a) he hasn't fully adjusted to the game yet since coming back from injury.

(b) the coaches haven't learned to utilize him.

© they just haven't had the right situations to take advantage of his abilities.

(d) he is not as good as we thought he was.

What do you think?  It is kind of puzzling.

504528[/snapback]

(E) He has a cast on his wrist. A soft cast, but a cast all the same.

I noticed after the punt in the KC game he walked off the field fiddling around with it - it looked like it was bothering him. I'm not sure if he lined up at WR after that play, but they put Aiken back there for punt returns afterwards.

Because he's not that good?

504589[/snapback]

ding ding ding ding ... We have a winner!!!

Yeah, so far, every play he's been in on has been a major cluster !@#$. Not impressed at this point. Maybe in time he'll be a receiving threat, but I don't know why they have him back there on punt returns. Bring back Nate.

ding ding ding ding  ...  We have a winner!!!

Yeah, so far, every play he's been in on has been a major cluster !@#$. Not impressed at this point. Maybe in time he'll be a receiving threat, but I don't know why they have him back there on punt returns. Bring back Nate.

504650[/snapback]

What is truly amazing is that some of the people on this board are not pro scouts o0r coaches by now. The ability to judge talent on a handful of plays is just scary.

:rolleyes:

What is truly amazing is that some of the people on this board are not pro scouts o0r coaches by now.  The ability to judge talent on a handful of plays is just scary.

:rolleyes:

504657[/snapback]

What's also amazing is how people hear what they want to hear.

All I said was that at this point, he hasn't proven anything or made anyone say, "wow". I also said in time he may be a threat, but he's still got to prove himself. Relative to the excitement and anticipation by Bills fans prior to the start of the season, he's very average.

I haven't seen anything yet that reminds me of the Roscoe hype we heard during training camp. Is there a play I missed where he made something happen and made viewers say, "did you see that" ?

My standout memories of him so far are a poorly executed reverse. Missed blocks, and a Fran Tarkenton style punt return that didn't gain a whole lot of yards. Not saying that these botched plays were entirely his fault, but on the other hand, he didn't make something out of nothing either.

In time he may be decent. Time will tell.

We must demand more from a rookie who broke his wrist, missed at least half of training camp and the first four games of the season.

How hard can it be for a rookie to pick up on an NFL offense from the sidelines and fully heal a broken wrist in 8 weeks?

Declare him a bust if he doesn't show marked improvement this weekend.

Actually, his attempt to run back the punt which can be correctly described as a cluster f**k did make me say wow. It would have been great if the wow was because of some glorious score but it did not and at that point in the game it would have been silly to expect that.

However as he ran all over the field sideways for little forward gain, it provided a glimpse of what he might produce once this rook gets more time and learns:

1. what is to be a pro- a task which took Evans half a season under better circumstances.

2. develops chemistry with his teammates- again something Evans has now seemingly developed with JP with devastating impact on the opponents Sunday.

3. the coaches learn how to utilize him, he has some success so the opponents shift to cover him (which actually will be the primary benefit we get from Parrish in that he makes life easier and more productive for Evans/Moulds rather than he scores TD after TD on his own and he learns to be productive with how he is used.

The problem here is not with the seeing of the facts (he hasn't scored yet well dduuhh) but with understanding what the facts mean. The key to answering the question posed in this thread is:

Was he on the field even for either or both of the Evans TDs?

If he was, then Parish may already be cobtribuing to the Bills as on the first one the deep safety was late getting over to Evans and even though the ball was underthrown he still got the TD. On the second one, he singled, JP thre a perfect pass and Evans concentrated and made a great catch.

If Parrish's speed altered the coverage or reactions in either case his presence was part of a win for us.

I don't know, but folks should look a little deeper before they declare someone a bust or even a disappointment.

He may disappoint some fans because their expectations have little to do with reality.

Becuase he's not that good?

504589[/snapback]

In training camp in Pittford the dude rocked, before injury.

Even on that play where he was hurt, he really went up for the ball, he just landed on it wrong.

"Me thinks" the boy will be good, maybe he isn't "getting open" or getting the looks right now.

Evans probably has all the deep routes right now.

I do remember when Evans came on strong last half of 2004, this could be good.

Then again, maybe as a gamer, he sucks.... :rolleyes:

It took Lee Evans, who had a full training camp, pre-season, and who was uninjured, if not considered a better prospect, half the season to "get it."  Give Roscoe some time.

504561[/snapback]

IIRC, it took Eric Moulds longer than that. I think he was worth the wait.