Is Willis Mcgahee our RB of the future

RVJ

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've been doing that for years against Lewis.  I've seen a few Baltimore games this year and that burst that Lewis had just isn't there.  He used to explode into the hole and (from what I've seen) he just doesn't hit the hole with the same fire this year as he has in the past.

504155[/snapback]

Perhaps it's a case of "Hoosegow Hemmorhoids."

They've been doing that for years against Lewis.  I've seen a few Baltimore games this year and that burst that Lewis had just isn't there.  He used to explode into the hole and (from what I've seen) he just doesn't hit the hole with the same fire this year as he has in the past.

504155[/snapback]

Could be from all the "exploding into the hole" he took this past year down there in Camp Cornhole!

I know we have a bad offensive line. But WM looks so slow sometimes. And he

doesn't go all out driving for those extra yards. It seems that he picks and chooses

his spots. Sometimes I think he is holding back to prevent injury. In other words

he looks like he wants out of Buffalo when his contracts up. I would like to have

another top notch RB on the roster. This way we can put some presssue on Willis.

503461[/snapback]

I know what you mean. He's 5th in rushing. 17th in yards per carry. But, the telling stat for his speed (or lackthereof) is that he is 28th in the league in longest runs from scrimmage this year at a 27 yard long. There are 27 starting RB's that have ripped off longer run gains than him. And even though our line sucks, that indicates big play potential. Even behind a bad line, RB's can make a play here or there on their own. Willis doesn't seem to have the burst necessary to do that. He's also not much of a threat receiving.

This isn't a popular opinion on a mostly homer board, but Willis isn't the elite back people with blinders on claim he is. He is, however, pretty damn good, but I sure hope TD doesn't overpay to keep him.

But, in our favor is that Willis may not be fully recovered from the injury like some experts claim. If that is the case, he does have potentional to reach elite status. Let's hope he still has some room to improve.

doesn't go all out driving for those extra yards. It seems that he picks and chooses

his spots. Sometimes I think he is holding back to prevent injury. In other words

he looks like he wants out of Buffalo when his contracts up. I would like to have

another top notch RB on the roster. This way we can put some presssue on Willis.

503461[/snapback]

Willis is verry young,very fast and very strong...top 4-5 right now. He is one of the main pieces of the foundation....evans,willis,hopefully JP,takeo,clements,McGee...if we could just add a D-line and O-line stud to that group--it will look good.

This post summed it up very well.  A more effective offensive line would certainly help WM's numbers.  The quarterback position is on the rise.

What do the Bills need? 

Offensive linemen who can run and pass block, together.

A consistent pass rush.

A tight end that can catch, run and block.

And a healthy Takeo Spikes!!!  Get well soon!!!

504016[/snapback]

And WRs who don't drop the ball consistently WILL HELP :)

Willis has started what??? 21 games? this thread is about a season and a half early.

Hopefully he will be.  TD will have to pay WM and DR will make sure of it.  <_<

503499[/snapback]

I hope when WMs contract is up TD is not the one still making those decisions.

stephen davis, jamaal lewis, rudi johnson, larry johnson, priest holmes, greg jones, jerome bettis, edgerrin james.

Willis is a good back and he's playing hard and up to his ability.  But, he is neither the holy grail of backs, nor expendable.

503501[/snapback]

I wouldn't say any of those guys are elite backs anymore...except James. I would love to watch Willis behind a line like the one in Indy, Pitt, Cincy, or KC, when ALL of his long runs wouldn't be called back for holding.

Thank you.  Rare for this board... someone with a little objectivity.

Some fans think Willis is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Why?  I don't know. Perhaps because he's a Buffalo Bills RB and we're among a herd of Bills fans who can't opine objectively about the subject.

To put Willis in a class with Jamaal Lewis, Edgerrin James, etc. after only about a season and a half of NFL play is simply ludicrous.  He isn't a great one... at least not until he proves to be.  The great ones don't get removed from the lineup on third downs, they block, they all catch 50 balls plus a season, and they break long runs.  Willis can't lay claim to any of that.  Right now Willis is one dimensional and he can be contained.

Willis has annointed himself as the best back in football.  Well, from where I'm sitting, he's got a lot of "blow" and not enough "show".

503626[/snapback]

TC won't put willis in on 3rd downs. I remember him at the U and he was excellent out of the backfield catching passes. TC does not play him in situations that would really show his true ability and that is not WMs fault...its the fault of a terrible OC and a terrible scheme. Also Willis' line blows. Most great RBs (with the exception of Barry Sanders) can only do so much behind a POS offensive line. Every time Willis breaks a big run there is always a hold (ie final drive of the MIA game and 2 or 3 in the NO game) and those would add up to him being higher on the NFL rushing list. However, Willis is not YET the gamebreaking back that an LT, or Priest Holmes is/was.

If that list of RB's instead identified: Cadillac Williams, S. Alexander. L. Tomlinson, C. Benson, E. James and R. Johnson,  then, Ok, I would get that Dee Ray's point.

503706[/snapback]

Benson and Williams? Idiot. Benson 58 carries for 237...franchise. Williams 133 carries for 516 yards...he'll carry you. Benson may be a good back but he, like another notorious UT product, has a very skittish personality, to say he's elite is absolutely one of the stupidest things i think i've read. Carnell Williams is going to prove to be a new warrick dunn only not quite as good and much more injury prone, also ridiculous to say he's elite. They have not even been the best backs to come out of last years draft, Ronnie Brown is averaging almost 5 yards a carry (4.8) and has been better than both Williams and Benson by a long shot. But I'll give you Alexander and LT and James, but once Willis actually breaks some big gamebreaking runs then he will be in the very elite category.

503461[/snapback]

You have two different points. One I agree with, the other I disagree with.

WM is trying as hard as he can given the scheme and OL blocking. He will be a top 10 back in this league. So there I must disagree.

I do believe when his contract is up, he will be gone. There is NO way the Bills will be able to afford his demands. No way he takes a home team discount.

WM talks like he thinks he's the greatest back when he has yet to prove over time that he is a top 5 back (probably reads too much TBD...) Throw in the fact that Drew Rosenhaus is his agent, and he's gone when his contract is up if not before.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me a superbowl team in recent years in which most of the offensive money is invested in the runningback, which is what our position will be if we keep WM after a 2000 yard season or two...

WM talks like he thinks he's the greatest back when he has yet to prove over time that he is a top 5 back (probably reads too much TBD...)  Throw in the fact that Drew Rosenhaus is his agent,  and he's gone when his contract is up if not before.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me a superbowl team in recent years in which most of the offensive money is invested in the runningback,  which is what our position will be if we keep WM after a 2000 yard season or two...

506240[/snapback]

Marshall Faulk was highly paid as was Emmitt Smith, and they were both on SB teams. I am not sure but i think Terrell Davis got a pretty large contract after the Broncs won their first SB then they went on to do it again. In the NFL ONE player does not make a team a SB contender, you need to have talent around a superstar to be a SB contender though. This team only gets worse if they let Willis walk. He'd probably end up on a team with an O-line better than ours (that would then include D'Youville) and his numbers would be even better, because he would rip off long runs without the penalties (usually nowhere near the play) and we would all be thinking "damn he really was good." The key to an effective offense is a stellar o-line (ie Indy) and if you put a back as talented as WM behind a good line the numbers would be friggin scary. Right now the problem is not at our skill positions its the 5 guys in front that have to block in order for our skill players to succeed.

I think he meant strongest among running backs who dont have cement in their shoes.

505417[/snapback]

I will take the cement in the shoes every time i need a first down, or am anywhere near the goal line! Alstott is money in the bank. You obviously never watched him or you would know what a great back he is. You don't need to be fast when you can carry 11 guys on your back, ask the Skins.

I will take the cement in the shoes every time i need a first down, or am anywhere near the goal line! Alstott is money in the bank. You obviously never watched him or you would know what a great back he is. You don't need to be fast when you can carry 11 guys on your back, ask the Skins.

506287[/snapback]

Alstott is washed up...he was decent in his younger days. No as for the the goal line situation i have the answer....mike williams. Line him up in the backfield and hand him the ball...better yet fake the qb sneak and swing it out to him...he must move pretty quick cuz he gets out of the opposing d-linemen's way pretty f-ing fast. And when all else fails just hand it to Daimon Shelton!

Alstott is washed up...he was decent in his younger days. No as for the the goal line situation i have the answer....mike williams. Line him up in the backfield and hand him the ball...better yet fake the qb sneak and swing it out to him...he must move pretty quick cuz he gets out of the opposing d-linemen's way pretty f-ing fast. And when all else fails just hand it to Daimon Shelton!

506309[/snapback]

Mike Alstott -Decent? He was a PROBOWL Player every year untill 2003 when he broke his neck! This year ( His last), he has 4 TD's I would not be surprised to see him get 6 more. He has had not a decent, but great career and will most likley be in the HOF. I will tell you, he is beloved here in Tampa. Great idea about Williams, God knows he can't play on the line, just give him the damn ball. :lol:

506287[/snapback]

Alstott?? great running back??...aww come on now..

PS--I think the redskins need to ask the officials more than Alstott