Say goodbye to Colin Cowheard

Adam

I doubt many are up at this hour, but I really hate that after ten years, they got rid of Todd Wright on All Night.  He had such an entertaining program.  This new guy is soooooo boring.

504286[/snapback]

Oh my god! You just conjured up some awful imagry for me...I thought Todd Wright was, perhaps, the worst sports talk radio host I have ever heard. Seriously. His schtick was so friggin' tiresome, and he did it year after year, night after night. I will say, he is the reason that I stopped listening to sports talk radio for a long time. His hard on for Britney Spears, and his endless interviews with the cast of "Silver Spoons", and interviewing schlubs from various sports teams, on a regular basis, because they were named Todd was unbearable. The guy so wanted to be the radio version of FHM magazine, but he was just not funny at all....I always liked overnight talk radio....I miss Bob Kemp (from the old Sporting News Radio), but Jorge Sedano, on FOX is pretty good. He is a shameless Miami fan, but his show is pretty entertaining.

All that said, I didn't realize Todd Wright had been put out of our misery. I wish the man no ill will (I won a pair of Cowboys/Raiders tickets from him once- his season tickets!), but he was bad radio...second worst was Jim Valvano....is he still there?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my god!  You just conjured up some awful imagry for me...I thought Todd Wright was, perhaps, the worst sports talk radio host I have ever heard. Seriously.  His schtick was so friggin' tiresome, and he did it year after year, night after night.  I will say, he is the reason that I stopped listening to sports talk radio for a long time.  His hard on for Britney Spears, and his endless  interviews with the cast of "Silver Spoons", and interviewing schlubs from various sports teams, on a regular basis, because they were named Todd was unbearable.  The guy so wanted to be the radio version of FHM magazine, but he was just not funny at all....I always liked overnight talk radio....I miss Bob Kemp (from the old Sporting News Radio), but Jorge Sedano, on FOX is pretty good.  He is a shameless Miami fan, but his show is pretty entertaining. 

All that said, I didn't realize Todd Wright had been put out of our misery.  I wish the man no ill will (I won a pair of Cowboys/Raiders tickets from him once- his season tickets!), but he was bad radio...second worst was Jim Valvano....is he still there?

504621[/snapback]

I loved Bob Kemp--the guy cracked me up.He would get sarcastic and frustrated with the callers--which was part of the guys charm.

Oh my god!  You just conjured up some awful imagry for me...I thought Todd Wright was, perhaps, the worst sports talk radio host I have ever heard. Seriously.  His schtick was so friggin' tiresome, and he did it year after year, night after night.  I will say, he is the reason that I stopped listening to sports talk radio for a long time.  His hard on for Britney Spears, and his endless  interviews with the cast of "Silver Spoons", and interviewing schlubs from various sports teams, on a regular basis, because they were named Todd was unbearable.  The guy so wanted to be the radio version of FHM magazine, but he was just not funny at all....I always liked overnight talk radio....I miss Bob Kemp (from the old Sporting News Radio), but Jorge Sedano, on FOX is pretty good.  He is a shameless Miami fan, but his show is pretty entertaining. 

All that said, I didn't realize Todd Wright had been put out of our misery.  I wish the man no ill will (I won a pair of Cowboys/Raiders tickets from him once- his season tickets!), but he was bad radio...second worst was Jim Valvano....is he still there?

504621[/snapback]

They have Bob (not Jim) Valvano on weekend overnights now - Fri. and Sat. nights. He seems like a really nice guy, but he drives me nuts the way he starts talking about something and then backtracks to explain he didn't mean something literally. We knew that, Bob, we are not stupid..............It used to be that I coulnd't stand him, but then once I heard this new guy on weekday nights, I like Bobby V's show much better on weekend overnights.

Tcali - it sounds like you've heard much more of Todd Wright than I have. My hours shifted this year, and that's when I started listening to him. I figured I was pretty safe in liking him since he was there ten years, but as soon as I settled in with him, he got fired. I liked the things with the "assemblage" - The Tustle, and so forth. It was different that the Game Night, but now Overnight is just a continuation of Game Night - with endless highlight replays........What can be more boring that radio replays???

They have Bob (not Jim) Valvano on weekend overnights now - Fri. and Sat. nights.  He seems like a really nice guy, but he drives me nuts the way he starts talking about something and then backtracks to explain he didn't mean something literally.  We knew that, Bob, we are not stupid..............It used to be that I coulnd't stand him, but then once I heard this new guy on weekday nights, I like Bobby V's show much better on weekend overnights. 

Tcali - it sounds like you've heard much more of Todd Wright than I have.  My hours shifted this year, and that's when I started listening to him.  I figured I was pretty safe in liking him since he was there ten years, but as soon as I settled in with him, he got fired.  I liked the things with the "assemblage" - The Tustle, and so forth.  It was different that the Game Night, but now Overnight is just a continuation of Game Night - with endless highlight replays........What can be more boring that radio replays???

504635[/snapback]

Sorry, meant Bob, Jim has passed on...Valvano and Wright seemed obsessed with stupid "game-shows" which are just as bad as endless highlight replays...they are never funny, and make for very bad radio, IMO! Valvano always seems affable enough, but is just dull as hell...do they still have the "Sports Doctor" John Schelesnik (sp?) He used to do the ESPN overnight on the weekends, always thought he was good. When I listen to sports talk radio, I just want them to stick to sports, I hate when they start doing crap like "your favorite sports movie" and crap like that. I come to TSW for that kind of thing.... :)

That's called repeating the point - its a debate technique to reinforce that what you are saying is true. He's a very smart guy and his angles are unique.

Well, I never said he wasn't smart. After all, he got himself a national radio show. Debate technique or not, it doesn't do a whole lot for me to hear the exact same argument or point over and over and over again. That's not what I call entertainment. More like a guy who can't think of anything else to say.

Like today, for instance. I believe he was talking about the top guys who are "it" in the NFL right now...Favre and Vick being the top two. I stopped counting how many times he repeated it and his list of players. It's a fine point to make, but after you've named the top guys once or maybe twice, that's enough. But if you've got another 5 minutes to fill before the next commercial break, repeating the same thing over and over to fill the time doesn't do it for me. Which is why I usually end up turning him off after a few minutes (either that or the commercials).

I couldnt disagree with you more. This guy is one of the most cerebral and on-point radio hosts I've ever heard. Listen to Calherd's show for a week and then try and listen to Jim Rome. Its like the sports radio equivalent of reading Newsweek or Dr. Seuss

504140[/snapback]

Well, if you're going to compare him with Rome, sure. I really don't think Colin is that bad of a sports guy, really. He does make some good points without resorting to empty controversy. I just don't think there's much to his show other than "spanning the globe", because all he does is say the same things until I can't stand it anymore.

Sorry, meant Bob, Jim has passed on...Valvano and Wright seemed obsessed with stupid "game-shows" which are just as bad as endless highlight replays...they are never funny, and make for very bad radio, IMO!  Valvano always seems affable enough, but is just dull as hell...do they still have the "Sports Doctor" John Schelesnik (sp?)  He used to do the ESPN overnight on the weekends, always thought he was good.  When I listen to sports talk radio, I just want them to stick to sports, I hate when they start doing crap like "your favorite sports movie" and crap like that.  I come to TSW for that kind of thing.... <_<

504887[/snapback]

And, I like when they talk about other topics - different strokes!.............Although I always hate the favorite sports movie topic..............Never heard of the Sports Doctor - now it's the new guy - Jason Smith or something during the week and Bobby V on weekends for overnight.

And, I like when they talk about other topics - different strokes!...........

505388[/snapback]

So true my friend, so true...

Actually, I don't mind so much when they go off topic, from sports, it just gets too repetitive...everyone normally says the same thing, and add nothing, other than rambling off their list...

I guess, at 40, I am getting old and crotchity!

Yeah, because Vince is known for running such a clean ship.  I love the deification going on here.

Newsflash:  Cowherd was doing his job.  Controversy is a big part of it.

503420[/snapback]

Point well taken- he said what his producer told him to say...their 18-33 dumb-o-graphic buys into most of what they do anyways

And, I like when they talk about other topics - different strokes!.............Although I always hate the favorite sports movie topic..............Never heard of the Sports Doctor - now it's the new guy - Jason Smith or something during the week and Bobby V on weekends for overnight.

505388[/snapback]

For all sports guys, love Arnie Spanier( sp) and JT the Brick. Think both of these guys started as callers.

For mix of topics, really can't beat Mr. Tony. Been listening to his show since he first started in DC, i gues almost 12 years now.

And, Byran Cox on midday is one of the better guys as well.

In Richmond, there is a guy from buffalo, Mike Madasccalco(sp) on drive time. When I first moved here, thought at least my squads would get some love. But not only does thid guy suck, but hes a friggen Viking fan.His schtick is to a ask a question five differant ways, give his answer five ways, take a thirty second call, go to break, repeat process.

How in the hell do you grow up in Buffalo and become a Viking fan.

In Richmond, there is a guy from buffalo, Mike Madasccalco(sp) on drive time. When I first moved here, thought at least my squads would get some love. But not only does thid guy suck, but hes a friggen Viking fan.His schtick is to a ask a question five differant ways, give his answer five ways, take a thirty second call, go to break, repeat process.

506035[/snapback]

Mike Maniscalco (Sports Radio 910AM)...not only is he a Viking fan but he's a NY Ranger fan, as well. He's taken several pot shots at the Bills and I even heard him say one time that "Buffalo is NOT a hockey town although they think they are." Buffalo sports fan or not, I think they guy sucks. I can't stand his "style" and his anti-Buffalo agenda certainly doesn't help. What do you expect from a guy who used to work for WGR55...he even stole Chuck Dickerson's schtick by theming his Monday post-football shows as "Game Balls and Smelly Jock Straps". I remember the day he came up with it...acted like it was new and gave no mention of or credit to his former crappy colleague. The day he and the other local hack, "Big Al" Coleman (Redskin apologist ad nauseum - ESPN Radio 950AM), are fired will be a great day in Richmond sports radio.

506035[/snapback]

I gotta ask my brother on that one...he is/was a huge Vikings fan when we were growing up...I think it was because the Bills were so friggin awful for most of the 70's! Me, I adopted the Cowboys as my second team, because they were always on television....my dad would let me stay up and watch the entire MNF game (as long as I took a nap) whenever the Cowboys were on...god, I hate the Cowboys now!

Bigger than the morons who watch professional wrestling?? WOW--he must be a helluva moron.

504510[/snapback]

I'm not going to allow you to turn this into a pro wrestling issue- I do have issues with what they do at times, but Eduardo Gory Guerrero was a human being far and above being a pro wrestler. And while most of us never knew him, we can only aspire to be half the person he was.

At the very least, ESPN could have issued a public apology, but they are too high and mighty to admit they did something wrong.