Mike Williams

Thailog80

He was a bust for the 1st 2-1/3 seasons here.

Last year after the 1st 6 games, he played solid RT for the rest of the year.

This year, he also looked solid until he got hurt.

So I don't think you can truly say MW is a total bust.

What you can say is that he's nowhere close to being worth the salary he's getting,

and now that it will finally be economically feasible to let him go (and stop paying that bloated salary),

it doesn't look like he'll be back next year.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, sorry if this has been posted.

what the hell is up with this guy?

he was REPLACED by our BUM of a OG. what is this guy good for?

i saw a stat during the game, 30 sacks given up in the past 3 seasons. WTF.

is this guy even a starter anymore?

502427[/snapback]

I believe his leg was rolled on during the play that put KH out of the game.

Guest BackInDaDay
I believe his leg was rolled on during the play that put KH out of the game.

502605[/snapback]

He was rolling one during the play that put KH out of the game?

That explains a few things. :rolleyes:

Belechick moves his guys around all of the time and makes it work.

This is Mike's 4th season.  He's probably logged over 2,500 offensive snaps by now. I woulda thunk between what he's expereinced plus the tons of game tape he's watched,  he should understood what oline play is all about by now... even assignments of other linemen.  So, my expectation is that Mike, knowing that he has a new assignment, would be putting in extra time and effort in preparing for this.  He said he was ready. 

502496[/snapback]

Its going to take time, film review, practice and playing time for Mike Williams to make this move....He's not going to be all-pro after one week....

He actually did everything pretty well, pulled well...crashed the line well....just struggled in pass protection, specifically the DE/DT stunt(Chris Villarrial struggles in the same area, and he has been a guard for what, 10 years now)

Making the move from T to G, isnt as simple as you think....looks are alot different, assignments are different, seeing a stunt from the tackle position, is much different then seeing it from the guard position, as the tackle can easily recognize a stunt, by the DE's move inside......

He definately has the ability and size to become a great guard, he just has to adjust and learn the position.....give the guy some time....he might end up surprising some of you....

Do yourself a big favor and ignore the guru quotes and pay attention to what you observe yourself.  If you do that, you will discover yourself just how clueless most "gurus" are to start with...

502209[/snapback]

Om.....mane....padme.....om......

This one asks, why can they place Jason Peters at TE, LT, RT, and he still has the ability to rise to the challenge, grasshopper?

Is it the peanuts?

:rolleyes:

Give me a break.  Sure he sucked, but you can't throw a guy out there with 4 days practice under his belt and expect him to not get confused on assignments.  It was a bad coaching move to try it.  It will take time to make the move, granted, time might be one thing that Williams doesn't have.

502456[/snapback]

exactly.

Om.....mane....padme.....om......

This one asks, why can they place Jason Peters at TE, LT, RT, and he still has the ability to rise to the challenge, grasshopper?

Is it the peanuts?

:blink:

502683[/snapback]

"padme?" - you a Star Wars fan?

Me too...

Peters was a TE for Arkansas. TEs get to block off the edge from both sides, so Peters came to the Bills with experience. Then he was an OT on the PS last year. Andy Heck was switched from TE to OT at Notre Dame, and became a First Round pick and a quality NFL OT. There is a "mirror" footwork issue switching from OLT to ORT, but Peters has the benefit of TE experience there. That is not to be confused with going from OT to OG, where the assignments and reads are different. I would also be careful about putting a halo on Peters. Sure, he has promise, but he is also getting a lot of help. When Peters, by himself, regularly fends off the top DEs in the NFL for 4+ seconds, then he will have proven something. Right now, he gets too much help. The same thing is happening with Jax and Khalif Barnes right now. Jax has switched to a quick throw offense and Barnes is getting help almost every play, but the Jax fans are ready to put him in Canton. It is not an impressive play to be part of a double team or to get one contact when the ball comes out in 3 seconds. Peters has hope, but is far from a quality NFL OT right now.

Actually, it is Om Mani Padme Hum, my mistake.

Episode III was an OK prequel. Episodes V and VI were entertaining but unnecessary.

Episode IV was a classic.

Episodes I and II were like watching video games to me. They were only released to theatres on Bizarro World. :blink:

"padme?" - you a Star Wars fan?

Me too...

Peters was a TE for Arkansas.  TEs get to block off the edge from both sides, so Peters came to the Bills with experience.  Then he was an OT on the PS last year.  Andy Heck was switched from TE to OT at Notre Dame, and became a First Round pick and a quality NFL OT.  There is a "mirror" footwork issue switching from OLT to ORT, but Peters has the benefit of TE experience there.  That is not to be confused with going from OT to OG, where the assignments and reads are different.  I would also be careful about putting a halo on Peters.  Sure, he has promise, but he is also getting a lot of help.  When Peters, by himself, regularly fends off the top DEs in the NFL for 4+ seconds, then he will have proven something.  Right now, he gets too much help.  The same thing is happening with Jax and Khalif Barnes right now.  Jax has switched to a quick throw offense and Barnes is getting help almost every play, but the Jax fans are ready to put him in Canton.  It is not an impressive play to be part of a double team or to get one contact when the ball comes out in 3 seconds.  Peters has hope, but is far from a quality NFL OT right now.

502759[/snapback]

How bout Gandy on the head fake sack....??

501753[/snapback]

To be fair to Gandy he was shown a zone blitz fake and he's been taught to look to help inside when his man drops. If the one way one of the league's premier sack artists finds to get through Gandy is to use a fake that Gandy will NEVER bite at again in his career, I think the property that is Mike Gandy continues to be impressive and continues to argue towards our management focusing on the personnel spots where we're weak, not where we're playing well and doing it on the cheap.

I don't know how many of you caught the Giants/Vikes game yesterday, but for what it's worth Osi Umenyori just owned BMcKinnie.

502921[/snapback]

SHHHHHHHHHHH! you cant say that around here.

WilliamsBad!

MckinnieHOFer!

Big Mike's problems today were not physical. He simply does not know the Guard's pass-blocking assignments. He had no idea what to do when the DT was coming around the inside twist of the DE. He was suppossed to pick up the DT on the outside. That is a simple play - he was dumbfounded by the blitz/

This has me troubled for one reason -  as a seasoned tackle he should know the Guard's responsibility. He knows who the tackle picks up in certain circumstances so he should know the guard's corresponding assignment.

Maybe the Guard position is not "instinctual" yet so that he can simply react and not think. I hope that is all it is and with a week or two of practice he can step in at guard and improve this line.

501878[/snapback]

I believe you have it right. MW's problem is simply he was having to think too much instead of being able to react naturally. The guy CAN play, and with more practice ahead he WILL finish the year as the starter at LG. Take it to the bank.