losman to get some looks

Schulman16

According to Chris Berman just now, Losman might see some action today.  Holcomb is still starting, but JP could get a few series.  I dont know how I feel about this.

501089[/snapback]

Why not, throw his skinny ass in there and get er done!

I kind of got that idea, too, reading between the lines of some of the things Mike Mularkey said over the last few weeks.

Personally, I like the idea of putting him in, in certain situations. Make it situtions that he has heavily prepared for, and let him have some success, without putting the whole outcome of the game on his shoulders. Right now, I don't think it looks like he can handle that kind of pressure. He just needs to make some plays, and get his confidence (on the field!) back, so he can feel less indecisive when he does get the starting job back...Mularkey and Clements seem to love gadget plays...

I kind of got that idea, too, reading between the lines of some of the things Mike Mularkey said over the last few weeks.

Personally, I like the idea of putting him in, in certain situations.  Make it situtions that he has heavily prepared for, and let him have some success, without putting the whole outcome of the game on his shoulders.  Right now, I don't think it looks like he can handle that kind of pressure.  He just needs to make some plays, and get his confidence (on the field!) back, so he can feel less indecisive when he does get the starting job back...Mularkey and Clements seem to love gadget plays...

501093[/snapback]

Mularkey is putting more pressure on him by doing this, not less. Losman now has to be thinking that he has to make something happen on the one or two series that he's going to get. He'll probably force passes that he normally wouldn't and make mistakes that he normally wouldn't. If he plays the whole game, at least he knows that he can play within his own abilities because he'll have plenty of opportunities as the game goes along.

On the flip side, it also puts more pressure on Holcomb as well. He knows that this is the beginning of the end of his time as starter unless he starts lighting up the scoreboard. He's got to be thinking that he needs to make some plays to keep Losman on the bench. Look for him to also be taking some chances he normally wouldn't today.

Stastically, the bills run the ball more than any other team in hte league with a losing record.  Our problem is defense and big plays on offense.

501102[/snapback]

I don't know this for a fact, since I lost interest while trying to crunch the stats, but:

My theory is that most good teams that run the ball a lot do so because they are winning, not the other way around. Somewhere I think I posted some stats that show that winning-team running backs have most of their production in quarters 2 and 3 - when they are more often than not ahead by a comfortable margin - than in quarter 4 and especially 1. Not conclusive proof by any means, but consistent with the idea that you get ahead and then start running when they are forced to stay on the pass. I think more conclusive proof could be found by looking at the run/pass mix from quarter to quarter for winning teams. The traditional view would say you run more early then pass later, I'm suggesting you pass more early and then start running.

Well, Losman did get some looks.  :blink:

And yes, he looked good, but he also seems to have trouble with short accuracy.

501598[/snapback]

he needs to learn to take some of the mustard off the ball on his short passes. He improves in this area and I think we'll see a much more improved losman and find out why we traded up to draft him.