sportsline says JP named starter

SlamnSam

By virtue of the fact that the East sucks this year, the Bills have a shot at hanging around.  So let's say they enter next year still not knowing what you have in your 1st round QB and with a defense that may have already peaked.  Oh yeah, next season is going to be even better  :D

498127[/snapback]

Should we bench Willis McGahee, to see how good Lionel Gates will be next year?

Lets' hope Losman is much more thick skinned than his fans are...personally, I think he is.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets' hope Losman is much more thick skinned than his fans are...personally, I think he is.

498184[/snapback]

If you thought Kelly was a top QB...or even one we'd be able to ride for a few years, then you analogy might have some basis...but, even you know it is absurd. I haven't heard anyone try to make the case that Kelly is a terrific QB, our QB of the future, etc. Clearly Willis is a first-rate back with the prospect of many good years in front of him. How does this relate to the JP/KH situation?

BTW, I agree about JP is probably fine and not ruined due to the benching, as some would have us believe.

If you thought Kelly was a top QB...or even one we'd be able to ride for a few years, then you analogy might have some basis...but, even you know it is absurd.  I haven't heard anyone try to make the case that Kelly is a terrific QB, our QB of the future, etc.  Clearly Willis is a first-rate back with the prospect of many good years in front of him.  How does this relate to the JP/KH situation?

498194[/snapback]

Yeah, I know...I was being a little petulant....reading to much about TO I guess...my point was, however, that Holcomb has not played near as poorly as a lot are saying, he still gives us a better chance to win than Losman. Losman will obviously get another chance at some point. I have to watch the Bills every Sunday, no matter how awful, I want them to win every week...

The only way my analogy relates to the JP/KH situation is that people who are demanding that JP start now, to build for the future, are missing the point that there are a thousand different variables that can make the future far different than what it may look like now. If JP Losman is a football player, he will be good when he is ready. IMHO, he is not ready to be good right now....should playing Losman come at the expense of the development of other first and second year players (Lee Evans for example).

498184[/snapback]

Wow what a simply brilliant analogy. Let me know when Holcomb becomes one of the very best at his position.

This is an excellent analogy!

498188[/snapback]

No it's not. It's a terrible analogy. McGahee is a proven franchise back, and we didn't draft Lionel Gates with the hopes he will be our running back of the future in front of McGahee. That's absolute nonsense.

Unlike Gates, we made a significant investment in JP and to sit him down in hopes that we can get our asses slid backwards into the playoffs, only to have them beaten to submission in the first round, is foolhearty and irresponsible.

Dr. Pangloss knew what he was talking about. Heed his advise.

498223[/snapback]

Do you expect these boneheads to understand the teachings of metaphysico-theologico-cosmo-codology?

No it's not. It's a terrible analogy. McGahee is a proven franchise back, and we didn't draft Lionel Gates with the hopes he will be our running back of the future in front of McGahee. That's absolute nonsense.

Unlike Gates, we made a significant investment in JP and to sit him down in hopes that we can get our asses slid backwards into the playoffs, only to have them beaten to submission in the first round, is foolhearty and irresponsible.

498223[/snapback]

I thought it was so obvious that I was being sarcastic that it didn't require a" /sarcasm". I guess I was wrong.

Couldn't find this anywhere. Just stirring up some debate Slamn?

497703[/snapback]

Sorry I see that it was a question posed. I just got so excited when I first read it. I have held season tickets since 94 and I dont live in NY anymore so I have to pick my games to go to. I had the dec 11 game circled for so long. Then I heard last wek Moulds was running the team and decided we should be mediocre instead of actually putting in the unknown. So, I wasnt going to go to the game, then I saw that statement, or at least I thought it was a statement. I was actually excited for our team. I still hope JP gets the call and Malarkey stands up to the dam wannabe coaches. Sorry if I got everyone excited, but it was nice, dam a hope.

Yeah, I know...I was being a little petulant....reading to much about TO I guess...my point was, however, that Holcomb has not played near as poorly as a lot are saying, he still gives us a better chance to win than Losman.  Losman will obviously get another chance at some point. I have to watch the Bills every Sunday, no matter how awful, I want them to win every week...

The only way my analogy relates to the JP/KH situation is that people who are demanding that JP start now, to build for the future, are missing the point that there are a thousand different variables that can make the future far different than what it may look like now.  If JP Losman is a football player, he will be good when he is ready.  IMHO, he is not ready to be good right now....should playing Losman come at the expense of the development of other first and second year players (Lee Evans for example).

498204[/snapback]

Vow...what has Lee Evans done with Holcomb in the lineup. 1 TD so far...

JP is 1-3 with two losses against teams with winning records.

KH is 2-2 and has not faced a team with a winning record yet.

The TEAM is not playing much better than when they were led by JP. Just fodder for thought.

497785[/snapback]

Watch games much? JP's best game vs. Houston wasn't any better than Kelly's worst game.

Anyway, yeah - start JP because this team sucks.

Holcomb has been playing well. much better than JP was. it would be stupid to start JP now. with the pats loosing, we are not out of it yet.

and i will also say, !@#$ orton. he is below average at best. the only reason why people like this guy is because the guy who used to be their QB is also a BUM.

why bench Holcomb when hes playing well?

497691[/snapback]

This isn't MTV, where everything revolves around instant gratification. JP Losman is the future of the franchise- it would be stupid not to play him

498184[/snapback]

You're kidding, right? McGahee is a 24 year old Pro Bowl caliber RB who may very well be the best player on the team. Holcomb is a 32 year old career backup who has had four decent games. Terrible comparison.

A better example would be to suggest benching Trey Teague or Chris Villarial in favor of Duke Preston. Basically, its the same situation with a talented, but unproven rookie taking over for an adequate veteran. Or perhaps benching Bennie Anderson, moving Mike Williams to LG and allowing Jason Peters to start at RT. Wait, that sounds familiar...

Vow...what has Lee Evans done with Holcomb in the lineup. 1 TD so far...

498304[/snapback]

Lee Evans with with Losman at QB:

9 catches for 114 yards and 0 TDs.

Lee Evans with Holcomb at QB:

10 catches for 120 yards and 1 TD.

Clearly, Losman was having a huge negative impact on Evans...

I have to say, look at what most coaches do for their young quarterbacks. Parcells made sure DB had a lot of short passes and screens called to minimize the sacks, and only went deep when DB had a little confidence in himself and in the system. The Colts did that for Manning also, as the Jests did for Pennington. All of these teams used their running games an awful lot to keep the quarterback from being overwhelmed (colts using faulk like crazy leading the league in receptions also). The Bengals used their running game a lot to help out Palmer also. Aside from Big Ben, Marcia Brady, and Shaun King, not other first or second year qb has been very respectable in their first year as starter.

P.S. I had to mention King, because his best stats came in his rookie year with an 82 rating.

You're kidding,  right?  McGahee is a 24 year old Pro Bowl caliber RB who may very well be the best player on the team.  Holcomb is a 32 year old career backup who has had four decent games.  Terrible comparison.

498329[/snapback]

Yes, yes, yes, I was kidding already! :D