Gimme your top 5 Offensive Lines...

SDS

Kansas City

Pittsburgh

Denver

Philadelphia

Baltimore

Dallas may have made the list before the Hotel went down.

Seattle was close but I'm not sold on their right side.

The Rams, Carolina and the Bengals all get honorable mentions.

If you look strictly at stats (NFL.com), and use the categories of Rush yards/game, Total Rushing Attempts, Rush avg/attempt, and Sacks allowed, looking at the top ten teams in each of those four categories, and giving them a point for each category they score in the top ten in:

Denver (score of 4; record 6-2)

SD (score of 4; record 5-4)

Atl (score of 3; record 6-2)

Pitt (score of 3; record 6-2)

NYG (score of 3; record 6-2)

KC (score of 3; record 5-3)

Denver scored in the top 5 in three of the four categories, and 6th in the fourth. San Diego was only in the top five once in those categories (attempts), and it could be said that LT would make any line look good. Atlanta’s ranking could clearly be the product of Michael Vick. Taken all together, statistically, Denver has the best o-line in the NFL when examining how much they run, how effective they are with the running game, and how well they protect the QB.

Incidently, the top five teams statistically ranked against the run, using rushing yard against/game are:

Carolina

TB

SD

Pitt

Denver

It could be implied from this, that a team that has the mindset that it requires a good O-line to win also requires a good rushing defense, and therefore a better-than-average D-line.

If you look strictly at stats (NFL.com), and use the categories of Rush yards/game, Total Rushing Attempts, Rush avg/attempt, and Sacks allowed, looking at the top ten teams in each of those four categories, and giving them a point for each category they score in the top ten in:

Denver (score of 4; record 6-2)

SD (score of 4; record 5-4)

Atl (score of 3; record 6-2)

Pitt (score of 3; record 6-2)

NYG (score of 3; record 6-2)

KC (score of 3; record 5-3)

496662[/snapback]

Well, those certainly stacked the odds against Philly. Just about every time I watch them play I realize what a good Passing O-Line it is...McNabb usually has time to eat a sandwich before he throws, even when he stays in the pocket. But they "never" run, so you won't see them show up in the top five of any rushing category.

I decided to look at these teams, as I remember taking a look before as successful O-Lines to find a common thread, and that thread seems to pretty much follow through to this year. When you look at the six teams above, with the exception of San Diego (who completely gutted their line last year), every one of them has a line that has pretty much been together for years. Of course, there always has to be a new guy at some point, but basically each line has at most 1 player getting their first start with the team this year.