Again WTF were the TE's tonight?

Thailog80

I asked this question a couple of weeks ago. I follow on NFL.com so i can't see all the famtastic blocks they play of the superb routes they run but are overlooked! This game was played in Oz though so i will get to see it. I thought that with a HC who was a TE (?) or at least TE coach, that this would be a standout area. Maybe next year, but that seems to be catching saying around the Bills at present.

Quick question, if a good TE can open up the outside receiver by bringing in the safety, can't good outside receivers open up the TE game. I would have thought that with playing a running game we've promised, 30+ carries, throwing it deep, that maybe at some point the TE would be in the game. Time to ring Pete Metzelars to provide coaching...or Butch Rolle...

"I still can't believe he didn't make that catch"

That's pathetic. The throw was behind Tim and the defender was able to swat the ball as it hit Tim's hands. Had the throw been anywhere close to on target, it would have been a TD. Tim has excellent hands and did a great job blocking last night.

That's pathetic.  The throw was behind Tim and the defender was able to swat the ball as it hit Tim's hands.  Had the throw been anywhere close to on target, it would have been a TD.  Tim has excellent hands and did a great job blocking last night.

491595[/snapback]

I'd say the blocking was solid, not necessarily great, but I agree with the throw being off target. A solid throw and it's a score.

That's pathetic.  The throw was behind Tim and the defender was able to swat the ball as it hit Tim's hands.  Had the throw been anywhere close to on target, it would have been a TD.  Tim has excellent hands and did a great job blocking last night.

491595[/snapback]

Welcome aboard Mrs. Euhus! :(

Guest BackInDaDay
The throw was behind Tim and the defender was able to swat the ball as it hit Tim's hands.  Had the throw been anywhere close to on target, it would have been a TD. 

491595[/snapback]

Yes, but with a rookie QB back there.. oops. :(

Guest BackInDaDay
Quick question, if a good TE can open up the outside receiver by bringing in the safety, can't good outside receivers open up the TE game. I would have thought that with playing a running game we've promised, 30+ carries, throwing it deep, that maybe at some point the TE would be in the game.

491385[/snapback]

The key here is the 'throwing it deep' thought. We don't because Holcomb isn't a big enough improvement over Losman to change the way our O is schemed - from the outside in. Our wide receivers and RB are our best weapons, but a combination of coverages, disciplined DE play, QB pressures are used to force everything toward the middle of the field. Losman couldn't make his progressions quick enough to be effective and Holcomb is only a bit quicker. His telegraphing his throws isn't something I'd expect a 9 year veteran QB to do, but he's doing it. Those quick outs are our way of trying to get the ball outside. The screen pass to Williams last night is a good example of what can happen when we get our guys outside. The TD pass to Moulds was a good example of attacking the middle of a confused secondary - he was supposed to be 'passed off'.

I think Holcomb can throw the seam route to a TE the same way as he did the skinny post to Reed (where Nuefeld got the blame - ESPN :( ). He just doesn't seem to be comfortable making the throw. We'd have to see game film from the endzone to understand what we're being given, but from last night's play selection, I'm pretty sure it's still the middle - passing and rushing. Did you catch the graphic showing McGahee's runs - the Pats conceded the middle - and contained his 'bounce outs'. It's been like this all season - that's why he has no big gains. Our O is being managed by the opponent's D. It may seem like Holcomb is managing our O, but he's not taking anything he's not being given.

Look at the TOP and yards - we're being 'rope-a-doped'!