Losman starting this week?

NJ_BillsFan

well, start KH if you are happy with "Noodle Arm" Holcomb slinging 5 yard passes all game. Sure 70% completion looks good on paper, but when its friggin 20-25 for 125, thats worthless.  As someone said in another thread, all short passes get you is 3rd and 3.

486350[/snapback]

It is a better alternative, at this point, than having "Cannon Arm" Losman throwing 10 feet above the receivers head, or 15 yards off target (short or long, he has done them both) and a succession of three and out series....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as bad as the O-line has been, Holcomb has managed to complete a lot of passes, and get rid of the ball pretty effectively.  I will take Holcombs 70% completion percentage, 180 yards, td pass and three sacks, at this point, over JP's 75 yards passing, 18 yards rushing, and three sacks.  The O-line is what it is.  It may get better as the season goes on, but as it stands right now, the Bills are actually moving the ball some with Holcomb in there, and converting third downs at times.  None of that was happening with JP.

Holcomb, right now, is a big improvemet over what JP brings to the game.  Holcomb may not be as mobile as Losman, but he is a ton more accurate, and has a good feel for the pass rush.  At least two of the three sacks he took on Sunday were the result of missed assignments by the O-line.  JP would have been sacked too!  If Bledsoe had been back there, I hate to think how many times he would have been sacked.  Holcomb actually avoided a number of sacks Sunday, and completed passes, by simply "feeling" the pass rush, and stepping out of the way. 

I honestly am not bashing Losman, I just don't think he is ready too play right now.  With the team still alive (just barely it seems) it would be a disservice to everyone to go back to Losman.  I won't have a problem with it, once we are eliminated from the playoff picture.  Losman obviously has some great tools, he just hasn't put it together yet.  Once he gets his chance again (likely sooner than later) he will have a chance to grow into the job.  I am also not blaming Losman for all of the teams woes, although I think his ineffectiveness was a big contributer to 2 of our losses.  It may be, as many are saying, that this team is so awful, it wouldn't matter who is QB.  However, right now, week 8, they are still obligated, I think, to putting the guys on the field who give them the best chance to win. 

I have watched too much football over the years to be oblivious to the fact that while things can look pretty bleak one week, they can look a lot better the next.  Being a football fan is not for the faint of heart...

486377[/snapback]

You bring up great points, which is why i dont think JP should start until after NE and the bye. It'll give him a few week swith a solid game plan. I dont hate KH. But this team is not terribly good this season, and at this point, does not appear to be going anywhere. I'm glad KH stepped up when he did and helped win the 2 divisional home games. But with the tema going nowhere, put the kid in.

My whole arguement with starting KH long term, is that we shoulda kept bledsoe then. At least hes got an arm and isnt afraid to throw deep. (altho, him and KH both seem to be good for at least 1 "WTF?" play per game.

:)

If they lose against NE, I think they'll give JP the start after the bye.  If they win, we're in first place and they stick with KH.

486225[/snapback]

No, that makes too much sense. Those clowns (TD & MM) won't do it. They're either too dumb or in denial. They'll continue deluding themselves that this team could make a run, and won't put in JP until we're about 4-9.

No, that makes too much sense. Those clowns (TD & MM) won't do it. They're either too dumb or in denial. They'll continue deluding themselves that this team could make a run, and won't put in JP until we're about 4-9.

486401[/snapback]

It'll be a moot point after the Bills win in Foxboro :)

Am I missing something? Wouldn't it be insanely stupid to start a young kid that was pulled for not doing well - and then throw him to the wolves against the genius-coached defending world champions who are at home coming off a bye week????? I'm an avid Bills fan, but I would bet my next paycheck that the Bills will not only lose this game, they're gonna get a new one ripped... even if God Himself is the Buffalo QB!

I, for one, will be very angry if they put Losman in as starting quarterback this week! :)

Am I missing something? Wouldn't it be insanely stupid to start a young kid that was pulled for not doing well - and then throw him to the wolves against the genius-coached defending world champions who are at home coming off a bye week????? I'm an avid Bills fan, but I would bet my next paycheck that the Bills will not only lose this game, they're gonna get a new one ripped... even if God Himself is the Buffalo QB!

I, for one, will be very angry if they put Losman in as starting quarterback this week! :)

486484[/snapback]

Just as insane as using Shelton on a 4th and goal. :lol:

Putting Losman in against the Pats after he pulls him to put in Holcomb for the three easiest games on the schedule would go beyond negligent. It would be borderline criminal.

486484[/snapback]

Don't worry, it is not going to happen...Holcomb starts. Also, don't be shocked if Holcomb airs it out this weekend against the Pats...if nothing else, this coaching staff/mangament seems hyper-sensitve to whining fans...if they whine that Holcomb can't throw a 15 yard pass, be sure he will try a bunch of them Sunday, assuming he is given any time...

It is a better alternative, at this point, than having "Cannon Arm" Losman throwing 10 feet above the receivers head, or 15 yards off target (short or long, he has done them both) and a succession of three and out series....

486383[/snapback]

And why is that ? Isn't it better to have him learn and throw the long balls accurately than hanve KH who can throw the short balls accurately ? We are having three and out no matter who the QB is anyway.

To me it is pretty clear that JP needs to come in soon, though not for the NE game. As with DB, we knew what we have with KH (an experienced, weak arm QB who can do well in relief but will suck as a starter). With JP, we don't know contrary to the opinion of bashers like CoachDickerson. We just haven't given him enough time to get the feel for the game and iron out his mistakes. Boomer and Marino had both said he needs to sit for a couple of games and soak in the pace of the NFL. I went with that logic as they know more about being QBs than me (duh !). But 'couple of games' are up and after our OL does their best tissue paper imitation against NE, let us make major changes to the OL and put in JP.

It took Belicheck 10 minutes to prepare for this game.  Maybe 11 if he watched the tape of Shelton getting stuffed on 4th and goal, but that's only because he was confused as to why anyone would ever run that play.

486346[/snapback]

best post i've read in a while. funny stuff

.if nothing else, this coaching staff/mangament seems hyper-sensitve to whining fans..

486509[/snapback]

Oh? What makes you say that?

I'm under the impression that the coaching staff and management could care less what a bunch of fans whining like dateless teenage girls on prom night would have to say. Especially when said whiners' sole understanding of the challenges they face is from playing a video game in franchise mode.

I just watched the Houston game again. JP looked pretty good in that game. He did not play well for whatever reason the three games we lost. In spite of that he showed some flashes in two of those games. I will always take a win over a loss, damn the draft. If we are going to lose however I would much rather see JP than KH.

And why is that ? Isn't it better to have him learn and throw the long balls accurately than hanve KH who can throw the short balls accurately ? We are having three and out no matter who the QB is anyway.

486514[/snapback]

I don't have the stats (and I don't need to look at them) to assure you that the teams' time of possesion and third down conversion percentage has been significantly higher when Holcomb has been the starter...like I have said over and over, Losman will get his shot again, once the Bills are officially eliminated from playoff contention.

486401[/snapback]

Give them a little credit. Those last 3 games will certainly be enough to judge JP by going into next season. After pulling the plug four games into this season, I am absolutely confident that this staff won't make a hasty decision on an issue that will affect their success for the next five to ten years.

:)

I just watched the Houston game again. JP looked pretty good in that game. He did not play well for whatever reason the three games we lost. In spite of that he showed some flashes in two of those games. I will always take a win over a loss, damn the draft. If we are going to lose however I would much rather see JP than KH.

486751[/snapback]

JP looked good in that game because Houston is the worst team in the league. Most QB's (and defenses!) have looked good against the Texans. If you are using that game as your baseline for evaluating JP's ability at this stage in his career, that would appear to be a mistake.

I don't have the stats (and I don't need to look at them) to assure you that the teams' time of possesion and third down conversion percentage has been significantly higher when Holcomb has been the starter...like I have said over and over, Losman will get his shot again, once the Bills are officially eliminated from playoff contention.

486770[/snapback]

I do agree with that last line - but with only that I agree. The problem is that given the miserable quality of teams in the AFC East, we may be tantalizingly close to the playoffs till the final game of the season. And we will miss the playoffs - we just don't have the quality of players to deserve a spot. Then what ? Start next season exactly as this one ? What have we achieved ? Is it better to win the battle this year (winning season) or the war (SB soon) ?

486383[/snapback]

if losman is in this leauge as long as holcomb you ought to be eating crow for at least that long......he almost already has caught holcombs capability