Losman starting this week?

NJ_BillsFan

I guess I don't see it that way...I think Holcomb may have played his best game against the Raiders, yet conversely, the defense played its' worse game of the season.  I didn't see Holcomb make big plays, but I also didn't see him whiff on plays that were available to him.  Losman did that continually against both the Falcons and the Saints.  I honestly think if Holcomb had started both of those games, we would have won at least one, if not both of them. 

Really man, I am not writing Losman off as a lost cause, but I think this notion that he played "almost as well" as Holcomb is absurd...

487543[/snapback]

Not almost as well play by play--they play completely different kinds of games. Holcomb is a lot more efficient and methodical. I mean almost as well overall in the games (meaning one less good home game than KH). Frankly, if you don't think the home games against reeling teams had a huge factor in Holcomb's success you're nuts. My point was that in the away games, Losman looked bad and they were losses. In the away game Holcomb looked bad (IMO) outside of the first TD drive, the same thing Losman did against New Orleans, and we got killed. KH couldnt get the team going, he couldnt throw the ball downfield, he couldnt get out of his own limitations, he was hampered by a porous defense and bad play-calling. That was very much like Losman in his away games.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have the stats (and I don't need to look at them) to assure you that the teams' time of possesion and third down conversion percentage has been significantly higher when Holcomb has been the starter...like I have said over and over, Losman will get his shot again, once the Bills are officially eliminated from playoff contention.

486770[/snapback]

Maybe we could start Losman and bring in Holcomb on 3rd downs so JP doesn't get tired :doh:

Does anyone think that Losman will play this Sunday?

Mularkey has been saying that he will play him as a "spark".  I believe it might be an advantage since the Patriots have probably been planning on facing Holcomb for 2 weeks now.

486191[/snapback]

I think both QB's give us about the same chance- its all about how the 2 lines and our secondary plays.

Bledsoe gaffed on one play this past weekend but his numbers are far loftier than Losman's and the rest.  Including a 4-3 team record and a real shot at the playoffs.

We should have kept him.  There is no longer any doubt.

487187[/snapback]

Bledsoe is in a different system...where 4 of the 5 players are pro-bowlers

on the line....When bledsoe gets max-protection, then he can deliver....

However with our line, we needed a QB who could use his feet to buy some

time...Unfortunately, our line has regressed so badly, that there is no chance

for a QB to move....Given this line, bledsoe by now would have 6-8 fumbles

and a bunch of them returned for TDs....At least JP had minimal such fumbles.

Also, how far were we going to go with Bledsoe...It was clear from the last

3 years that we were not going to win a superbowl with bledsoe, because

he could never win the big games.....case in point....last year we lost to

Baltimore, New England, Pittsburgh, NY Jets, Jax....4 of the 5 were playoff

teams....If you QB cannot get wins against quality opponents you have to

move on.....The point is we knew what we were going to get with bledsoe...

wins against bad teams and losses against good teams....However with JP

we DID NOT know what we were going to get....it could be a special player

or a no-name somebody who will just vanish like a RJ.....It is time to give

that player a chance to see which way he is going to go.....

Finally, now that the starting LT protecting Bledsoes blind side is gone, we

will see how far he can take his team...

Yes, actually I do.  He has been significantly better.

487196[/snapback]

How so....especially the significantly better part........The guy has

same or more # of fumbles/interceptions in 3 starts....Two of the

TDs in the miami game were more lucky because the defender

failed to tackle the WR (It is not like KH threw a laser-touch pass

to the WR beating the coverage....it was more dink-dunk pass to

smith and moulds and hoped they will find the endzone)....

The guy played against a 1-4 team on the road and got smacked...

Of course you will put the blame on the Defense, bad catching etc....

but when it comes to JP, none of those were at any fault.....

How so....especially the significantly better part........The guy has

same or more # of fumbles/interceptions in 3 starts....Two of the

TDs in the miami game were more lucky because the defender

failed to tackle the WR (It is not like KH threw a laser-touch pass

to the WR beating the coverage....it was more dink-dunk pass to

smith and moulds and hoped they will find the endzone)....

The guy played against a 1-4 team on the road and got smacked...

Of course you will put the blame on the Defense, bad catching etc....

but when it comes to JP, none of those were at any fault.....

487993[/snapback]

Ganesh, I appricate your adoration of Losman. The simple facts are though, Losman couldn't dink and dunk, or complete any (okay 1) long passes in four games. The teams t.o.p. was pitiful, and their third down conversion rate was as well.

I can't pretend to know the whole formula for how they come up with the QB efficiency ratings, and I know that stats in football can be overrated. However, they are indicative of some things. Holcombs QB rating is nearly twice what Losman's was.

I know that you think Holcomb got "smacked" by the Raiders, but go back and look at it again, and you will see that he didn't. The offensive line was dominated, and the defense played its very worst game of the season. I know JP had some poor O-line play in front of him, but his much heralded scrambling ability didn't do anything to save him. I think our receivers, since Holcomb has been in the game, have played pretty damn well. I think they looked bad when Losman was in there, because he was horribly inaccurate. In other words, I can't blame the receivers for Losmans' woes, because he could not get them the damn ball, even when they were open.

As bad as the defense was during Losmans starting stretch, they still kept the team in his three losses, waiting for him to make one friggin' play. He could not! He was too hesitant, and I think, he made the O-line look even worse than it was. A competent performance, not even perfect (like Holcomb gives the team) could have won the Atlanta and New Orleans games. The defensive performance against Oakland was far worse than any other this season, and may have been one of the very worse of the last 5 years. Holcomb was one of the few bright spots in that game.

Losman continually chose to throw to receivers who were covered, rather than those who were wide open. He couldn't even take what the defense was giving him. Holcomb has not been perfect (the failed exchanges with the center is troubling) but he has been twice as accurate, and twice as productive. How you can't see this, is beyond me.

If by spark you mean inserting a QB who can't read defenses and is thusfar unable to complete a receiver progression then yes Losman will provide a spark. Of ALL teams to put Losman in against the Patriots would be LAST on my list, especially at night on the road. Belicheck would have his head spinning in 5 minutes. JP should play again before the end of the year, we'll be out of the race by Thanksgiving so that will give him an opportunity to play without completely setting him up to fail because that's what starting him this week would be.

All the JP fan boys need to grasp some reality, right now JP sucks pretty hard.