Sestak or Gilchrist?

Tony P

Which former Bills great should I put on a TB Jersey?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which former Bills great should I put on a TB Jersey?

• Tom Sestak
    • Cookie Gilchrist

James wasn't on the Bills in those years was he?  I think Butch Byrd, Charlie Warner, Hagood Clarke and George Saimes were the dbacks, Jacobs Tracey and Stratton at linebackers and Sestak Day Dunaway and McDole. 

What about Billy Shaw as a possible inclusion for those who appreciate o linemen?

Pete Gogolak contributed too, but who wants a field goal kicker jersey?

480425[/snapback]

Although he didn't play on the AFL Championship teams, the jerseys stayed the same until '75, so a James throwback wouldn't be entirely anachronistic. (In fact, I'm thinking about ordering a Bobby Chandler shirt...) Of Tony's two choices, I'd probably go with Sestak myself.

I like what Nick Bakay did, though - the throwback he wore on the NFL Network has his own name on the back, but he got #34 to pay tribute to Cookie, Jim Braxton, and Thurman. Very cool.

Get Kalsu!!

Cookie is an !@#$!

From his websight-

"he was illegally sold to Ralph C. Wilson, Jr., slave-holder of the Buffalo Bills for $30,000.00, August 4, 1962"

The sale of Chester Carlton Gilchrist was/is in violation of:

THE CONVENTION OF 1787

"The compromise finally arrived at provided, in return for the commerce power, that the slave trade might continue until 1808 with duty of not more than $10 for each slave imported."

THE ACT TO PROHIBIT THE IMPORTATION OF SLAVES (1807"

http://www.cookiegilchrist.com/

Although he didn't play on the AFL Championship teams, the jerseys stayed the same until '75, so a James throwback wouldn't be entirely anachronistic. (In fact, I'm thinking about ordering a Bobby Chandler shirt...) Of Tony's two choices, I'd probably go with Sestak myself.

480866[/snapback]

Every read Chandler's book Violent Sundays? Excellent!

I like what Nick Bakay did, though - the throwback he wore on the NFL Network has his own name on the back, but he got #34 to pay tribute to Cookie, Jim Braxton, and Thurman. Very cool.

I was thinking of getting a # 53 Rockpile throwback jersey (year I was born) but need to see all the 53's first! :rolleyes:

I was thinking of getting a # 53 Rockpile throwback jersey (year I was born) but need to see all the 53's first!  ;)

481219[/snapback]

Same year for me, Rock. :rolleyes:

What date?

I was thinking of getting a # 53 Rockpile throwback jersey (year I was born) but need to see all the 53's first!  ;)

481219[/snapback]

Since it's you asking...

#53: Dennis Remmert, Walt Cudzik, Wayne Frazier, Dave Ogas, Wayne Fowler, John Matlock, Mike Montler, Connie Zelencik, Will Grant, Tony Furjanic, Scott Walters, Tom Erlandson, Marvcus Patton, Keith Newman, Mario Haggan.

Wow - even I don't recognize a few of those names. :rolleyes:

Now you've got me thinking - going with year of birth would give me DeLamielleure's number. While I like JoeD, I almost think I'd sooner have #58 (which would cover both Stratton and Conlan)....

Since it's you asking...

#53: Dennis Remmert, Walt Cudzik, Wayne Frazier, Dave Ogas, Wayne Fowler, John Matlock, Mike Montler, Connie Zelencik, Will Grant, Tony Furjanic, Scott Walters, Tom Erlandson, Marvcus Patton, Keith Newman, Mario Haggan.

Wow - even I don't recognize a few of those names. :rolleyes:

Now you've got me thinking - going with year of birth would give me DeLamielleure's number. While I like JoeD, I almost think I'd sooner have #58 (which would cover both Stratton and Conlan)....

481577[/snapback]

Gee, #53 would kinda suck! :rolleyes:

As previously noted, Pete  - "Cookie is a loon."

480886[/snapback]

Lori...you say that like it's a BAD thing. I'm shocked!

Let Cookie be Cookie!

Imagine how cool it would be when you're walking down the street to have old men shout: "Lookie, lookie...here comes Cookie"

Hmmm...maybe Sestak is the better option.

Nope! I'm sticking with Cookie!

why not paul mcguire? isn't he not an important enough person with his commentating skills? oh wait wrong thread :rolleyes:

480544[/snapback]

maguire was the punter on those teams, and I hink he liked to refer to himself as an emergency linebacker, having played that position at the Citadel. He was a very good punter, so he does get some credit.

Daryle Lamonica...that's just my two cents, just because he is my dad's favorite player from those days, and he still curses the day Buffalo sent him down the road.

482226[/snapback]

No offense but, "your dad's favorite player" automatically eliminates you from the vote...just on general principle. :blush:

The mid 60's Bills may have been THE best team of the era (NFL & AFL) but we'll never know how they would have fared against the Packers or Colts. But they were the first team to stress Defense in the wide-open AFL and their D was superb in that era. I think that answers the poll...I must confess, the thought of hearing my fellow Bills Backers chanting "Lookie, lookie here comes Cookie" was very tempting but I'm thinking TS is the way to go.

Thanks for all the great input!

No offense but, "your dad's favorite player" automatically eliminates you from the vote...just on general principle.  :blush:

The mid 60's Bills may have been THE best team of the era (NFL & AFL) but we'll never know  how they would have fared against the Packers or Colts. But they were the first team to stress Defense in the wide-open AFL and their D was superb in that era. I think that answers the poll...I must confess, the thought of hearing my fellow Bills Backers chanting  "Lookie, lookie here comes Cookie" was very tempting but I'm thinking TS is the way to go.

Thanks for all the great input!

482930[/snapback]

Good choice, Sestak was compared to Bob Lilly, only stronger, in his prime....