Sabres

Four wins and one loss. Came back with a late goal to tie the defending Stanley Cup champs on the road and won the game in a shootout with goals by Briere and Vanek. Ryan Miller with 32 saves on 35 shots plus stoned St Louis and Richards in the shootout.

Today's NHL is terrific - and not only because the Swords are winning.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Four wins and one loss.  Came back with a late goal to tie the defending Stanley Cup champs on the road and won the game in a shootout with goals by Briere and Vanek.  Ryan Miller with 32 saves on 35 shots plus stoned St Louis and Richards in the shootout.

Today's NHL is terrific - and not only because the Swords are winning.

475479[/snapback]

It's night and day compared to what was. Should have done this 10 years ago when Lemaire started severely bending the rules with the clutch and grab and the "trap". Man I hope the next time I see that its in some euro Olympic game.

It's night and day compared to what was. Should have done this 10 years ago when Lemaire started severely bending the rules with the clutch and grab and the "trap". Man I hope the next time I see that its in some euro Olympic game.

475481[/snapback]

Actually Im probably inaccurate blaming Lemaire. If memory serves me correctly, it was Roger Nielson that really started to implement defensive hockey in a big way. That was when he was with the Leafs back in the 80s. He then carried that same lame tradition to the Canucks. I guess it was Lemaire that made it popular because he actually won championships by using a defensive strategy. I really hope those days are a just a memory and dont return.

Great game. The NHL is a lot of fun to watch -- especially the Sabres. This team is built for speed and the new rules. I was glad to see that the refs are not letting things go late in the game and in overtime.

I have to give Darcy a lot of credit. I had serious doubts. Yet, through the first part of the season, the Sabres are as exciting to watch as any team in the NHL and as exciting to watch as any Sabres team in a long time.

Now, if we can score on the power play . . . .

Miller really won that game for us tonight. He stood on his head in the 2nd and especially the 3rd period. With all the power play chances, the Sabres didn't give him enough offensive support.

But even if it was ugly, thats a great win on the road against the defending champs...the Sabres could really prove all the preseason doubters wrong this year.

I agree. Great game and the new rules are amazing (specifically, the refs calling sh-- they haven't called in years).

The one thing that concerned me was how the Lightning started playing cheap in the OT. There was really no reason for them not too. They were down two men, and with less than 2 minutes left, nothing negative could happen to them for doing so. That's the only place I could see an opening for the clutch and grab to open back up.

And after their second penalty, I joked to my friend "Well, they can't take another lighting off the ice, they should let the sabres bring on a 5th." Was i pleasantly surprised when that actually happened!

GO SABRES!

I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer to this. If a player is still in the penalty box at the end of overtime, does that keep him out of the shootout? It really didn't matter in this game, but what if St Louis took his penalty with less than 2 minutes left?

ok i didnt really follow any sabres news last year. what happened to biron, why isnt he starting? why is ryan the starter now instead of biron

475551[/snapback]

Miller won the job during preseason. I think he's let only one soft goal in in the first five games...

ok i didnt really follow any sabres news last year. what happened to biron, why isnt he starting? why is ryan the starter now instead of biron

475551[/snapback]

Miller played last year in Rochester and had more than 40 wins and played very well in preseason. Biron took the year off and didn't play at all. Looks like Lindy is going to ride Miller until he has a bad game. So far, he has been great.

I agree. Great game and the new rules are amazing  (specifically, the refs calling sh-- they haven't called in years).

The one thing that concerned me was how the Lightning started playing cheap in the OT. There was really no reason for them not too. They were down two men, and with less than 2 minutes left, nothing negative could happen to them for doing so. That's the only place I could see an opening for the clutch and grab to open back up.

And after their second penalty, I joked to my friend "Well, they can't take another lighting off the ice, they should let the sabres bring on a 5th." Was i pleasantly surprised when that actually happened!

GO SABRES!

475504[/snapback]

I was thinking that too. The first penalty in OT made it a 4 on 3 advantage. The second penalty, the Sabres brought a 5th out to make it a 5 on 3. Then there was a third penalty, which was a moot point. You can't have less than 3 skaters on the ice.

I don't imagine it will be a problem, but if the NHL notices a trend of teams taking penalties on OT when they know the penalty will not be served (i.e. tackling a guy in front of the net when you are already at a 5-on-3 disadvantage) they could start doing something about it. For example, in last night's game, when the 3rd penalty in OT occured, perhaps then the Sabres get to choose one of Tampa's shooters if it goes to a shootout. Or, even more drastic, perhaps Tampa only gets 2 shooters vs. Buffalo's 3.

Like I said, I can't imagine this becomes an issue, but those are some ideas if the NHL notices the rules being taken advantage of when no more penalties can be assessed.

Now if only we could figure out what to do with Biron or Noronen

From what I understand, Regier recently traded a fairly highly rated forward for an AHL level goaltender. Could be a precursor to a larger trade of one of the Sabres goalies. I'd guess Biron if anybody.

Cya

Anyone know anything about this kid Gaustad?  Slipped under my radar.

475645[/snapback]

I think that he was a later round draft pick a few years ago. I think that he was born in North Dakota. He played in Rochester last year and beat out Roy for a roster spot in preseason.

Don't feel bad, he was not on a lot of people's radar. So far, he has played very well.

Miller won the job during preseason.  I think he's let only one soft goal in in the first five games...

475562[/snapback]

There has been more than one soft goal, but he has played pretty well. He has to cut down on some of the rebounds.

Last night was perhaps his best game. He stoned the Lightning on both penalty shots. He was one of the key players in last night's game.