Willis

jayg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He looks slow because he is huge and runs different than any RB.

He obviously is moving fast, but he is carrying 15 extra LBS from his days in Miami.

I think he should drop 10-15 for next year if he want to be in that LT class, but right now he is a top 5-10 RB, not close to LT, Alexander, James, and IMO the most underrated RB in the NFL Tiki Barber.

471389[/snapback]

I'd agree with you there, but watch him try to turn the corner, then watch other RBs do it. He may not 'look' as fast because of his style, but he also isn't as fast either. The extra weight he's carrying not only slows down his top speed, he doesn't cut as fast as he should be to hit the corners.

I'd agree with you there, but watch him try to turn the corner, then watch other RBs do it.  He may not 'look' as fast because of his style, but he also isn't as fast either.  The extra weight he's carrying not only slows down his top speed, he doesn't cut as fast as he should be to hit the corners.

471391[/snapback]

He doesnt stop and start like he used to, but he is going fast once he makes up his mind to bounce it outside.

He likes to feel his way sometimes, and he slows down alot. He was running hard today, alot of short pickups. He didnt bounce around much.

I actually didnt think he had the speed to turn that corner on the long run, but he turned it on.

My point is, when he goes all out, he is moving real fast, but the way he runs, he slows down alot and isnt moving full speed.

Alot of RB's just go full out all the time, but Willis is different. He has his own style. If you watch Edge James in Indy, he is the same way.

If you think McGahee is a better back than either of those two guys you need to take your Bills glasses off and actually watch the games objectively.

471390[/snapback]

Julius Jones- 112 carries 407 yards 3.6ypc 3 tds. 0 100 yard games this season- 5 games

Kevin Jones- 71 carries 205 yards 2.8ypc 3tds- o 100 yard games- 4 games

Willis Mcgahee- 109 carries 461 yards 4.2ypcs 3tds- 2 100 yard games,

To say someone is wearing "Bills glasses" when saying Mcgahee is better then Kevin or Julius isn't being a homer. It's being truthful. Considering the passing game of the cowboys and the receivers of the lions, you would think Julius and Kevin would have better ypc then willis, but they don't. I don't get why some bills fans rag on mcgahee, he's far and away our best offensive player. Yes he had 1 bad game, and yes like the rest of our offense is subject to piss poor play calling, but get a real oline here, or even decent play calling and I have no question he'd be that much better for it.

That's because he simply is not that fast, despite what all the homers here will tell you.  He isn't even in the same league as other young guys like J.Jones, K.Jones, Tomlinson, etc. but that doesn't stop 90% of people here from overrating him and making constant excuses for him.

471381[/snapback]

Quickness and hitting the hole fast are obviously two completely different things than being fast. Willis is plenty fast. And playing behind a line that can't block and a team that usually can't pass, in one full year he has plenty excellent and been very productive any way you cut it.

Julius Jones- 112 carries 407 yards 3.6ypc 3 tds. 0 100 yard games this season- 5 games

Kevin Jones-  71 carries  205 yards  2.8ypc 3tds- o 100 yard games- 4 games

Willis Mcgahee-  109 carries 461 yards 4.2ypcs  3tds-  2 100 yard games,

To say someone is wearing "Bills glasses" when saying Mcgahee is better then Kevin or Julius isn't being a homer. It's being truthful.  Considering the passing game of the cowboys and the receivers of the lions, you would think Julius and Kevin would have better ypc then willis, but they don't.  I don't get why some bills fans rag on mcgahee, he's far and away our best offensive player. Yes he had 1 bad game, and yes like the rest of our offense is subject to piss poor play calling, but get a real oline here, or even decent play calling and I have no question he'd be that much better for it.

471417[/snapback]

Nice post man! You did your homework!

he looks slow compared to other backs for some reason...shaud williams looks like he gets shot out of a rocket on his carries...willis still does some dancing and then looks like he has the acceleration of a small korean car

471269[/snapback]

I agree he looks heavier and slower than last year. I don't see the moves from last year.

Guest BackInDaDay

It's a combination of McGahee's style (reminds me of Marcus Allen), our blocking schemes and the way our opponents are defending those schemes.

By containing the outside and taking away the cutback, Willis can't find any rhythm. Before I compared it to catching a wave. Try this - Frogger. Willis is like that frog you're trying to get across the highway. Anyone whose ever play that knows that you'll be far more successful if you get a feel for the movement of the traffic. Anticipate and move. There's a rhythm to the movement.

Our blocking has to be able to create that type of movement up front so Willis can anticipate and move. Any 'dancing' you see is because he and his lineman are out of sync. Splat.

Quickness and hitting the hole fast are obviously two completely different things than being fast. Willis is plenty fast. And playing behind a line that can't block and a team that usually can't pass, in one full year he has plenty excellent and been very productive any way you cut it.

471459[/snapback]

If we ever do put together a good line, then we don't need a great back, because a good line makes an average back look great. A great back will look great behind a poor line. I think Willis did look slow. He hasn't broken a long TD run this year, and on the 54-yard run called back, he was caught from behind. I was up in the nosebleeds and haven't seen a replay, but does anyone know if the Reed hold is what sprung McGahee or did he have the corner?

Kelly, 4.2 yards per carry this year ranks 16th. Last year, he was 27th in that stat. That is average at best. Sorry, I just don't see him as great yet.

To say someone is wearing "Bills glasses" when saying Mcgahee is better then Kevin or Julius isn't being a homer. It's being truthful.  Considering the passing game of the cowboys and the receivers of the lions, you would think Julius and Kevin would have better ypc then willis, but they don't.  I don't get why some bills fans rag on mcgahee, he's far and away our best offensive player. Yes he had 1 bad game, and yes like the rest of our offense is subject to piss poor play calling, but get a real oline here, or even decent play calling and I have no question he'd be that much better for it.

471417[/snapback]

I'm basing this on actually watching the backs, not a meaningless ypc stat. YPC is so skewed based on how much a back runs, when they run, and if they've managed to break a long one. It's isn't the end all be all in evaluating a RB. For example, Willis' YPC must have been terrible yesterday, but had he got that 50 yard run, it would have been fantastic. Does that totally change how his day was? No.

Josh Reed spoiled it for Willis (holding call). That wouldve looked great on the stat sheet and really hammered our victory home despite our lackluster performance in the 2nd half.

I just like seeing Willis getting over 100+ yards. That one wouldve put him over 120 easily. Folks, he's doing this with a below average offensive line. Imagine the possibilities with some real talent on that line.

471205[/snapback]

OJ didnt even need an offensive line. Willis is good sometimes and better others. He's not as great as he thinks he is.

OJ didnt even need an offensive line. Willis is good sometimes and better others. He's not as great as he thinks he is.

471721[/snapback]

Maybe so but Orenthal had a very good offensive line. Reggie McKenzie and Joe D were awesome. And any back is going to look slow when they are constantly having to run up the middle to bang into defenders who are in the backfield even before the ball is handed off. It doesn't seem like Willis is missing that many holes, it just seems that the holes aren't up the middle. A little imagination is needed in the play calling. Remember when Moulds used to run the end around? Evans has some wheels, why not try the same play? But then again that requires a little blocking. Individually the offensive linemen may be very good but as a unit it isn't happening.

471417[/snapback]

Good reply....

That's because he simply is not that fast, despite what all the homers here will tell you.  He isn't even in the same league as other young guys like J.Jones, K.Jones, Tomlinson, etc. but that doesn't stop 90% of people here from overrating him and making constant excuses for him.

471381[/snapback]

Might I remind you that Walter Payton and Barry Sanders were not the fastest rbs of their time.

Willis has more than enough speed for a guy with his size, strength and moves.

I do find the 4.4 a little tough to believe, but so what?

Willis plays a similar style (imo) to Franco Harris. He was no speedster either, but if you are too young to have seen him, you can go to Canton and check out his bust. :pirate:

If we ever do put together a good line, then we don't need a great back, because a good line makes an average back look great.  A great back will look great behind a poor line.  I think Willis did look slow.  He hasn't broken a long TD run this year, and on the 54-yard run called back, he was caught from behind.  I was up in the nosebleeds and haven't seen a replay, but does anyone know if the Reed hold is what sprung McGahee or did he have the corner?

Kelly, 4.2 yards per carry this year ranks 16th.  Last year, he was 27th in that stat.  That is average at best.  Sorry, I just don't see him as great yet.

471609[/snapback]

The real hold on that play was Campbell on Kevin Carter. That allowed WM to get outside uncontested. Reed's was a weak call, not much of a hold at all. And I've watched the game twice.

Maybe so but Orenthal had a very good offensive line.  Reggie McKenzie and Joe D were awesome.  And any back is going to look slow when they are constantly having to run up the middle to bang into defenders who are in the backfield even before the ball is handed off.  It doesn't seem like Willis is missing that many holes, it just seems that the holes aren't up the middle. A little imagination is needed in the play calling.  Remember when Moulds used to run the end around?  Evans has some wheels, why not try the same play?  But then again that requires a little blocking.  Individually the offensive linemen may be very good but as a unit it isn't happening.

471942[/snapback]

Oj was here in 69 and no O-line can you name them, Joe D and Reggie weren't there.

The OP asked about the stiff-arm. I think I read somewhere that defenders are very aware of it (and why wouldn't they be, when he put two or three guys out last year with it?) and are trying to avoid it when tackling him, i.e., coming in lower when he runs those sweeps. So he doesn't have as many opportunities to use the hammer.