JP seems to have things in perspecitve...

Buftex

Losman upset and embarrassed over losing starting job

By JOHN WAWROW - AP Sports Writer

2005-10-09 20:21

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - Bills quarterback J.P. Losman is upset and embarrassed, wondering what - and how long - it will take to get his starting job back.

``Yes, of course, you are very upset, you're mad, you're trying to find all these negative things and turn them into positives,'' Losman said after watching backup Kelly Holcomb lead Buffalo to a 20-14 win over Miami on Sunday. ``All these feelings that you're feeling, embarrassment in front of your friends and family is probably the biggest thing. And it's just something you have to grow from and get over.''

The comments were Losman's first since he lost his starting job to Holcomb this week. The switch, which coach Mike Mularkey tried to keep secret until gametime - but was leaked by several players - came after it was determined the Bills needed a veteran spark to revive an offense that sputtered in three straight losses.

Holcomb responded, finishing 20-of-26 for 169 yards passing and a touchdown, while engineering scoring drives on each of Buffalo's three possessions.

That's a big turnaround for Buffalo (2-3), which managed just 29 points - two touchdowns and five field goals - in its last 14 quarters under Losman.

The second of Buffalo's two 2004 first-round draft picks, Losman was awarded the starting job in February, replacing Drew Bledsoe, who is now the starter in Dallas.

Although it's unlikely Mularkey will make a switch, the coach refused to say whether he'd stay with Holcomb for Buffalo's next game Sunday, when it hosts the New York Jets.

Losman said he was informed of the decision Tuesday, coming two days after he was benched for the final quarter in a 19-7 loss to New Orleans. It was the second time in three games he was benched for at least a series.

In four starts, he is averaging 108 yards passing a game, completed less than 48 percent of his attempts and has acknowledged he's still hesitant at times in the pocket.

The decision still took Losman a little by surprise.

``Well, my mind was swirling on Tuesday and probably even Wednesday,'' he said, describing his reaction. ``But you have to understand the situation that you're in, take your man pills and swallow them. It's going to be tough to swallow, but that's what you have to do.''

While Mularkey still hasn't provided a reason for the switch, receiver Eric Moulds suggested earlier this week that the Bills couldn't afford to wait for Losman to develop.

Moulds' comments caught Losman by surprise.

``I haven't heard any of that,'' Losman said. ``Everyone wants to win now. But there are so many things involved with that, it's not just the quarterback position.''

The Bills were more efficient under Holcomb, who threw in rhythm, spread the ball to seven receivers and occasionally ran a hurry-up offense to keep the Dolphins off-balance.

``It feels good especially with the situation that we're in,'' Holcomb said, referring to the team's slow start.

As for Losman, Holcomb said: ``J.P. was all right. I know it bothered him some, but sometimes that's the name of the game.''

Losman spent the game watching from the sideline and had little interaction with Holcomb. Losman did, however, congratulate Moulds as he reached the bench following the receiver's 2-yard touchdown.

``This is not a straight road,'' Losman said. ``It's up and down. And I have to somehow level it out and realize that I have a long career here, a lot of years left, a lot of games left.''

He can't complain about being pulled. He knows how bad he's played. It's annoying to hear his post game remarks. Sounds like a broken record about what he needs to do and come the following Sunday but utterly fails to improve.

I.E., "I need to stop being so hesitant". Next Sunday his hesitancy is worse than before.

JP needs to realize that he's still a rookie who needs another year of grooming.

He can't complain about being pulled.  He knows how bad he's played.  It's annoying to hear his post game remarks.  Sounds like a broken record about what he needs to do and come the following Sunday but utterly fails to improve. 

I.E., "I need to stop being so hesitant".  Next Sunday his hesitancy is worse than before. 

JP needs to realize that he's still a rookie who needs another year of grooming.

471324[/snapback]

What do you want him to say? They ask a question and he can either 1) answer it or 2) say, "no comment" and look like a sulking child. He answered the question as well as it can be answered for a guy that just got benched.

What do you want him to say?  They ask a question and he can either 1) answer it or 2) say, "no comment" and look like a sulking child.  He answered the question as well as it can be answered for a guy that just got benched.

471333[/snapback]

The writer simply seem to fish for and feature prominently the portion of a more full-founded commentary by Losman on this obviously deserved benching.

JP's fuller comments I heard did have him talk about his embarassment and beinf bummed about but also he seemed quite pleased the team got a win and talked about watching Holcomb as a learning experience.

He ain't our QB right now and should not be. He is our QB of the future and should be that as well as no one expects Holcomb to be much more than a short- term answer for us.

Things are far from good at QB, but the situation isn't unworkable at all.

I like the comments. They show a willingness to look at and address his own weaknesses. All I want to see from Losman is a desire to improve and his comments speak to that. If he was complacent about his benching I'd be more concerned. Just another tool in his development.

it's not just the quarterback position.''

That comment by JP could piss off some of those who have been vocal of JP. I know I'm up too late, and over thinking things, but I see nothing more than a bunch of grown men wanting to win, win badly, and win now. I see no problems with that!!

A nice revision of the "Bickering Bills". We know what happened with the Bickering Bills, Part I.

That comment by JP could piss off some of those who have been vocal of JP.  I know I'm up too late, and over thinking things, but I see nothing more than a bunch of grown men wanting to win, win badly, and win now.  I see no problems with that!!

A nice revision of the "Bickering Bills".  We know what happened with the Bickering Bills, Part I.

471409[/snapback]

To have the "Bickering Bills" again, they need something to bicker about. I don't think you have too many guys in the locker room hoping JP gets back in there anytime soon.

Losman upset and embarrassed over losing starting job

By JOHN WAWROW - AP Sports Writer

2005-10-09 20:21

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) - Bills quarterback J.P. Losman is upset and embarrassed, wondering what - and how long - it will take to get his starting job back.

``Yes, of course, you are very upset, you're mad, you're trying to find all these negative things and turn them into positives,'' Losman said after watching backup Kelly Holcomb lead Buffalo to a 20-14 win over Miami on Sunday. ``All these feelings that you're feeling, embarrassment in front of your friends and family is probably the biggest thing. And it's just something you have to grow from and get over.''

The comments were Losman's first since he lost his starting job to Holcomb this week. The switch, which coach Mike Mularkey tried to keep secret until gametime - but was leaked by several players - came after it was determined the Bills needed a veteran spark to revive an offense that sputtered in three straight losses.

Holcomb responded, finishing 20-of-26 for 169 yards passing and a touchdown, while engineering scoring drives on each of Buffalo's three possessions.

That's a big turnaround for Buffalo (2-3), which managed just 29 points - two touchdowns and five field goals - in its last 14 quarters under Losman.

The second of Buffalo's two 2004 first-round draft picks, Losman was awarded the starting job in February, replacing Drew Bledsoe, who is now the starter in Dallas.

Although it's unlikely Mularkey will make a switch, the coach refused to say whether he'd stay with Holcomb for Buffalo's next game Sunday, when it hosts the New York Jets.

Losman said he was informed of the decision Tuesday, coming two days after he was benched for the final quarter in a 19-7 loss to New Orleans. It was the second time in three games he was benched for at least a series.

In four starts, he is averaging 108 yards passing a game, completed less than 48 percent of his attempts and has acknowledged he's still hesitant at times in the pocket.

The decision still took Losman a little by surprise.

``Well, my mind was swirling on Tuesday and probably even Wednesday,'' he said, describing his reaction. ``But you have to understand the situation that you're in, take your man pills and swallow them. It's going to be tough to swallow, but that's what you have to do.''

While Mularkey still hasn't provided a reason for the switch, receiver Eric Moulds suggested earlier this week that the Bills couldn't afford to wait for Losman to develop.

Moulds' comments caught Losman by surprise.

``I haven't heard any of that,'' Losman said. ``Everyone wants to win now. But there are so many things involved with that, it's not just the quarterback position.''

The Bills were more efficient under Holcomb, who threw in rhythm, spread the ball to seven receivers and occasionally ran a hurry-up offense to keep the Dolphins off-balance.

``It feels good especially with the situation that we're in,'' Holcomb said, referring to the team's slow start.

As for Losman, Holcomb said: ``J.P. was all right. I know it bothered him some, but sometimes that's the name of the game.''

Losman spent the game watching from the sideline and had little interaction with Holcomb. Losman did, however, congratulate Moulds as he reached the bench following the receiver's 2-yard touchdown.

``This is not a straight road,'' Losman said. ``It's up and down. And I have to somehow level it out and realize that I have a long career here, a lot of years left, a lot of games left.''

471123[/snapback]

I also liked this quote from the Toronto Sun this morning..

Said Losman: "This team is ready to win and they're not going to wait for some young quarterback to come in here and go through some growing pains."