The Losman crowd are overreacting...

Buftex

I can't believe the overreaction by so many on the board to the benching of Losman, in favor of Kelly Holcomb. IMO, this move was warrented, and says nothing about Losman's future.

Maybe Holcomb will fall flat on his ass, like so many here seem to hope. But say he doesn't, and comes out and moves the offense, and we win 3 of these next four games. I think Mularkey and company owe it to the fans, and to the other guys on the roster, to give it a shot. Why should the franchise be conceding a season, after only four games, because a one player has had 1 quarter of the season to show that he is not ready, at this time, to move this offense? If any of you watched either of the last two games objectively, you would realize, despite the miriad of problems this team has (third down defense, run defense, play calling) the opportunity for each of these games to be won, by the Bills, was there. Losman just simply didn't make enough plays to make that difference.

JP Losman will be fine. He does not lack confidence, and seems to understand things a little better than some here. A lot of you who are crying foul now, are the same ones who praised TD for signing Holcomb to begin with. Why do you think he was signed?

This is a completely logical move. Many of you couldn't wait to get Bledsoe out of here, even when the team was winning with him, for what? So we could piss away winnable games with an inexperienced QB? I could understand the hysteria if the Bills were already out of the playoff picture, but they are just as alive as the other three AFC East teams. So JP's development gets put on the back burner a little, why no worry for guys like Lee Evans who are young, and going to waste the way things are going now?

If Holcomb starts, and we lose 3 of the next four, or is just flat our miserable (I am not taking a stand either way on this, because unlike so many here, I can admit, I don't know how he will play) Losman will have an entire half a season to get experience. Remember, since we seem to have this insatiable need to draw parallels to other teams, Eli didn't get the starting job for the Giants until week 9 last year...as the anti-Bledsoe faction used to love saying, "are you a Bills fan, or a JP Losman fan?"

I can't believe the overreaction by so many on the board to the benching of Losman, in favor of Kelly Holcomb.  IMO, this move was warrented, and says nothing about Losman's future. 

Maybe Holcomb will fall flat on his ass, like so many here seem to hope.  But say he doesn't, and comes out and moves the offense, and we win 3 of these next four games.  I think Mularkey and company owe it to the fans, and to the other guys on the roster, to give it a shot.  Why should the franchise  be conceding a season, after only four games, because a one player has had 1 quarter of the season to show that he is not ready, at this time, to move this offense.  If any of you watched either of the last two games objectively, you would realize, despite the miriad of problems this team has (third down defense, run defense, play calling) the opportunity for each of these games to be won, by the Bills, was thers.  Losman just simply didn't make enough plays to make that difference.

JP Losman will be fine.  He does not lack confidence, and seems to understand things a little better than some here.  A lot of you who are crying foul now, are the same ones who praised TD for signing Holcomb to begin with.  Why do you think he was signed?  This is a completely logical move.  Many of you couldn't wait to get Bledsoe out of here, even when the team was winning with him, for what?  So we could piss away winnable games with an inexperienced QB?  I could understand the hysteria if the Bills were already out of the playoff picture, but they are just as alive as the other three AFC East teams.  So JP's development gets put on the back burner a little, why no worry for guys like Lee Evans who are young, and going to waste the way things are going now? 

If Holcomb starts, and we lose 3 of the next four, or is just flat our miserable (I am not taking a stand either way on this, because unlike so many here, I can admit, I don't know how he will play) Losman will have an entire half a season to get experience.  Remember, since we seem to have this insatiable need to draw parallels to other teams, Eli didn't get the starting job for the Giants until week 9 last year...

467460[/snapback]

I think this is all funny really... for weeks it's been "put Holcomb in" posts and now that Holcomb's in, it's "what are they doing? They can't bench JP!" :blink:

People need to really make up their minds. I for one don't like this move, but lets see how game five plays out before anyone panics.

People need to really make up their minds.  I for one don't like this move, but lets see how game five plays out before anyone panics.

467473[/snapback]

That's the problem, people have already made up their minds! Besides, we are Bills fans, we gotta panic! :blink:

For all we know, Holcomb is sitting in his room....thinking about how he's 32 years old and a journeyman QB..... imagining that this is his ONE true shot at NFL success. If you're a competitor, and I don't know that he is or isn't, but wouldn't that be some motivation for you? Hell, I'm 33....and if someone told me that I could have that one good shot at NFL success, I'd take hold and run with it as fast and as long as I could. The Browns sucked. Kelly had no real chance with them. There was no Willis....no Moulds or Evans....no dominant defense or ST. He has that now. He's a member of the team, and I say we give the guy a shot to see what he's got.

I can't believe the overreaction by so many on the board to the benching of Losman, in favor of Kelly Holcomb.  IMO, this move was warrented, and says nothing about Losman's future. 

Maybe Holcomb will fall flat on his ass, like so many here seem to hope.  But say he doesn't, and comes out and moves the offense, and we win 3 of these next four games.  I think Mularkey and company owe it to the fans, and to the other guys on the roster, to give it a shot.  Why should the franchise  be conceding a season, after only four games, because a one player has had 1 quarter of the season to show that he is not ready, at this time, to move this offense?  If any of you watched either of the last two games objectively, you would realize, despite the miriad of problems this team has (third down defense, run defense, play calling) the opportunity for each of these games to be won, by the Bills, was there.  Losman just simply didn't make enough plays to make that difference.

JP Losman will be fine.  He does not lack confidence, and seems to understand things a little better than some here.  A lot of you who are crying foul now, are the same ones who praised TD for signing Holcomb to begin with.  Why do you think he was signed? 

This is a completely logical move.  Many of you couldn't wait to get Bledsoe out of here, even when the team was winning with him, for what?  So we could piss away winnable games with an inexperienced QB?  I could understand the hysteria if the Bills were already out of the playoff picture, but they are just as alive as the other three AFC East teams.  So JP's development gets put on the back burner a little, why no worry for guys like Lee Evans who are young, and going to waste the way things are going now? 

If Holcomb starts, and we lose 3 of the next four, or is just flat our miserable (I am not taking a stand either way on this, because unlike so many here, I can admit, I don't know how he will play) Losman will have an entire half a season to get experience.  Remember, since we seem to have this insatiable need to draw parallels to other teams, Eli didn't get the starting job for the Giants until week 9 last year...as the anti-Bledsoe faction used to love saying, "are you a Bills fan, or a JP Losman fan?"

467460[/snapback]

I completely agree.I think this is why holcomb was brought in to begin with.He's a vet that can come in and start for a stretch while the kid goes thru the learning curve.

I think this is all funny really... for weeks it's been "put Holcomb in" posts and now that Holcomb's in, it's "what are they doing?  They can't bench JP!" :blink:

People need to really make up their minds.  I for one don't like this move, but lets see how game five plays out before anyone panics.

467473[/snapback]

Except for the little detail that most, if not all, people who are against benching JP now were never calling for Holcomb to start. He was to be a back-up in case JP went down. That's the only scenario I would have accepted for the likes of Kelly "cross-field-throw INT" Holcomb starting. He's not much better than JP and has no upside.

Does it make you feel better to live in a fantasy world where you can make up your own facts in order to use the :w00t: smilie and look down on other people for being fickle, when they aren't?

Except for the little detail that most, if not all, people who are against benching JP now were never calling for Holcomb to start. He was to be a back-up in case JP went down. That's the only scenario I would have accepted for the likes of Kelly "cross-field-throw INT" Holcomb starting. He's not much better than JP and has no upside.

Does it make you feel better to live in a fantasy world where you can make up your own facts in order to use the :blink: smilie and look down on other people for being fickle, when they aren't?

467541[/snapback]

Exactly. Well said.

467541[/snapback]

UConn, like I said in my post, you may end up being right, Holcomb may suck. But, his upside might be that he may read defenses a little quicker, and get some plays off that, right now, JP is just not doing. It may only be a quick fix, but this team needs something to get the motor running a bit. I don't think anyone is giving up on the idea that Losman can still be very good, he is just not there right now. The game seems to be too fast for him. Sitting out a little, and observing more, might actually help him some. I am just not sure why everyone is taking this move so personally, as if the fact that their fantasy about Losman coming out like Dan Marino (or whoever) has been crushed. It is week 5!!! There is still 3 quarters of a seson ahead of this team, they have to try to make something of it, beyond just building for the perpetual next year. The reality of that might come in a few weeks, but why concede it now?

If Holcomb has a week pf practise to prepare and the offense looks as bad as it has to this point against the Fish and Jests, then we can write off the season and put JP back in. I'll go watch hockey.

If we're 3-3 in two weeks and the offense is moving the ball, JP can sit until he earns the starting spot back, or until we are out of the playoff hunt this year. If Holcomb fails, two weeks off are not going to ruin JP's development for next year - I think it will help him to take a step back.

I think it's unacceptable for a team to sacrifice a year of 40+ players' short careers for the development of a single player. If JP wants to lead the Bills, he needs to get better.

I think it's unacceptable for a team to sacrifice a year of 40+ players' short careers for the development of a single player. 

467607[/snapback]

Exactly.....very well said.

It's all bull sh--. JP will never get better on the sideline. KH has never proven that he should be a starter anywhere. How we go from the season is not on JP's shoulder's to.. its JP's fault lets bench him is beyond me. It's not about supporting anyone player, its about supporting a team. If you bench one guy because he's not performing, then they should bench half theteam right now.

Mularky just dropped tremendously in my book. We'll still be lucky to finsh 8-8 this year, regardless of who's the qb. All they're doing is playing a trucky game with a young man's confidence and his ability to be a leader.

This team has gone downhill since they unceremoniously cut Thomas, Reed, and Smith and now the sh-- continues. Let's all blame who's not the problem and just keep rolling to sell tickets and merchandise.

It's all bull sh--.  JP will never get better on the sideline.  KH has never proven that he should be a starter anywhere.  How we go from the season is not on JP's shoulder's to.. its JP's fault lets bench him is beyond me.  It's not about supporting anyone player, its about supporting a team.  If you bench one guy because he's not performing, then they should bench half theteam right now.

Mularky just dropped tremendously in my book.  We'll still be lucky to finsh 8-8 this year, regardless of who's the qb.  All they're doing is playing a trucky game with a young man's confidence and his ability to be a leader. 

This team has gone downhill since they unceremoniously cut Thomas, Reed, and Smith and now the sh-- continues.  Let's all blame who's not the problem and just keep rolling to sell tickets and merchandise.

467630[/snapback]

Dan, I can understand your disgust. We have all felt it from time to time. JP will get better, and he will not stay on the sidelines forever. But, why is everyone taking this so personally? They obviously can't bench half the team, warrented or not, but JP's position is one that handles the ball on every offensive play. The team needs better production from that spot right now. If Holcomb struggles as miserably as the majority seems to be insistant he will, he will find himself back on the bench, and JP will end up having at least half a season to get ready for next year. You have 53 men on the roster, why not take advantage, and try to find what works best?

Isnt' that being a little generous? Have you seen our defense "tackle" lately?

467660[/snapback]

Whose to say that the change won't do the whole team some good. Maybe the defense, if the T.O.P. is not so out of whack, makes some plays. The offense simply has to move the chains more consistantly. It's all a crap shoot, but why is everyone so bitter that the brain-trust is trying to win some games, only 4 weeks into the season?

Does it make you feel better to live in a fantasy world where you can make up your own facts in order to use the :blink: smilie and look down on other people for being fickle, when they aren't?

467541[/snapback]

I'm not looking down on people at all. I think it's so funny that the boards were covered with pro holcomb posts and now it's covered in people upset with JP's Benching... I think it's funny how no matter what, not everyone's going to be happy, and that's what I was pointing out with my post. I don't need you making fun of me and being rude for something that was taken out of context of my original intent.

Whose to say that the change won't do the whole team some good.  Maybe the defense, if the T.O.P. is not so out of whack, makes some plays. The offense simply has to move the chains more consistantly.  It's all a crap shoot, but why is everyone so bitter that the brain-trust is trying to win some games, only 4 weeks into the season?

467666[/snapback]

Because the net result is that this team will NOT make the playoffs anyway. It's too weak all around, and then you've already f*cked up the development of the future.

But hey, whatever.

I'm not going to be one of those "told you so" types when it happens. Not if. When.

Maybe Holcomb will fall flat on his ass, like so many here seem to hope.  But say he doesn't, and comes out and moves the offense, and we win 3 of these next four games.  I think Mularkey and company owe it to the fans, and to the other guys on the roster, to give it a shot.  Why should the franchise  be conceding a season, after only four games, because a one player has had 1 quarter of the season to show that he is not ready, at this time, to move this offense?  If any of you watched either of the last two games objectively, you would realize, despite the miriad of problems this team has (third down defense, run defense, play calling) the opportunity for each of these games to be won, by the Bills, was there.  Losman just simply didn't make enough plays to make that difference.

JP Losman will be fine.  He does not lack confidence, and seems to understand things a little better than some here.  A lot of you who are crying foul now, are the same ones who praised TD for signing Holcomb to begin with.  Why do you think he was signed? 

This is a completely logical move.  Many of you couldn't wait to get Bledsoe out of here, even when the team was winning with him, for what?  So we could piss away winnable games with an inexperienced QB?  I could understand the hysteria if the Bills were already out of the playoff picture, but they are just as alive as the other three AFC East teams.  So JP's development gets put on the back burner a little, why no worry for guys like Lee Evans who are young, and going to waste the way things are going now? 

If Holcomb starts, and we lose 3 of the next four, or is just flat our miserable (I am not taking a stand either way on this, because unlike so many here, I can admit, I don't know how he will play) Losman will have an entire half a season to get experience.  Remember, since we seem to have this insatiable need to draw parallels to other teams, Eli didn't get the starting job for the Giants until week 9 last year...as the anti-Bledsoe faction used to love saying, "are you a Bills fan, or a JP Losman fan?"

467460[/snapback]

Well said. You articulated how I feel and how many others feel. We are Bills fans first and want to win this week. I don't feel JP gives us the best chance to win this week. People CANNOT question the coaching staff for this move. It's the right thing to do. People that are screaming at MM or TD over this just feel the need to blame them for anything and everything. I agree with some of it, but the QB change is exactly the right move. Its a No Lose situtation. Holcomb simply can't do worse than JP, and if for some reason he does, JP will be right back in there before the end of the Miami game.

I keep saying this but i really think JP would do a better job coming in off the bench at some point in a game when the pressure is less and he's more relaxed.