Blue & Gold Returns Tonight ... or Not

PTS

I have no proof whatsoever for what I'm about to say only that I've had a feeling the Sabres would be bringing back the Blue and Gold sooner than the 2006-07 season. I am going out on the limb and as the Sabres ad campaign states "The future starts" tomorrow.

Blue & Gold returns to Buffalo tomorrow!

But like I said this is only an incredibly strong gut feeling with only tidbits of unconfirmed info that I just pieced together. I suspected this for a long time but have no hard proof.

====EDIT BELOW====

On my way home today I worked a little cell phone magic. Here's what I found out.

Sabres applied for new Blue and Gold jerseys at some point during the end of the 2003-2004 season.

The rule is that the NHL and PA need one full season before they can make the logo/jersey switch official. The new jerseys would have been unveiled this season had the NHL played in 04-05.

There was some confusion as to whether or not this switch could be made for this season because of the lockout. Here exactly what I was told by a friend that's well connected***...

One source said the new jerseys have been approved for this season and we'll see them tomorrow.

Another source is that the new jerseys have been approved but only as third jerseys until January 2006, at which point they can make them their official jerseys. Why January 2006? I have no idea.

*** For those of you that question my sources, good, cause I should question them too!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like in the NFL, uniform changes have to be approved on year in advance. They can get special permission to wear the old jerseys like they did a few years back when Golisano took over, but that's it. You won't be seeing anything new (or old) this year.

Ignoring the rules for a second, here's another reason why this won't happen, money. If they were going to change jerseys, they would've announced it so that they could make more money in the Sabre Store.

Just like in the NFL, uniform changes have to be approved on year in advance.  They can get special permission to wear the old jerseys like they did a few years back when Golisano took over, but that's it.  You won't be seeing anything new (or old) this year.

Ignoring the rules for a second, here's another reason why this won't happen, money.  If they were going to change jerseys, they would've announced it so that they could make more money in the Sabre Store.

465203[/snapback]

Smokescreen my friend, smokescreen. The rule you stated is in deed an NHL rule, but the Sabres had this in the works for a long time. We'll see tomorrow, maybe I'm just looking into a few things too much, but all the signs were there for me to say what I did. I posted months ago that their was a prototype jersey the Sabres had developed a while ago.

As for the money-issue, if they are new blue and gold jerseys, I'm getting mine tomorrow as I'm sure 1000s of others will.

Smokescreen my friend, smokescreen. The rule you stated is in deed an NHL rule, but the Sabres had this in the works for a long time. We'll see tomorrow, maybe I'm just looking into a few things too much, but all the signs were there for me to say what I did. I posted months ago that their was a prototype jersey the Sabres had developed a while ago.

As for the money-issue, if they are new blue and gold jerseys, I'm getting mine tomorrow as I'm sure 1000s of others will.

465207[/snapback]

Did you see the pictures of the murals they painted in the arena? It seems like a pretty poor plan to put up all these pictures of uniforms that no one will be wearing.

I have no proof whatsoever for what I'm about to say only that I've had a feeling the Sabres would be bringing back the Blue and Gold sooner than the 2006-07 season. I am going out on the limb and as the Sabres ad campaign states "The future starts" tomorrow.

But like I said this is only an incredibly strong gut feeling with only tidbits of unconfirmed info that I just pieced together. I suspected this for a long time but have no hard proof.

465187[/snapback]

I know that you have some inside contacts in the organization and have made some correct "predictions" in the past. (and some incorrect ones too :lol: ) I hope you are right!

465187[/snapback]

Hope you're right, man.

465187[/snapback]

Did you see Ty Law wearing this jersey??

On my way home today I worked a little cell phone magic. Here's what I found out.

Sabres applied for new Blue and Gold jerseys at some point during the end of the 2003-2004 season.

The rule is that the NHL and PA need one full season before they can make the logo/jersey switch official. The new jerseys would have been unveiled this season had the NHL played in 04-05.

There was some confusion as to whether or not this switch could be made for this season because of the lockout. Here exactly what I was told by a friend that's well connected***...

One source said the new jerseys have been approved for this season and we'll see them tomorrow.

Another source is that the new jerseys have been approved but only as third jerseys until January 2006, at which point they can make them their official jerseys. Why January 2006? I have no idea.

*** For those of you that question my sources, piss off. I wouldn't make this up for the hell of it.

*** For those of you that question my sources, piss off. I wouldn't make this up for the hell of it.

465286[/snapback]

Welcome to my world.

Did you see the pictures of the murals they painted in the arena?  It seems like a pretty poor plan to put up all these pictures of uniforms that no one will be wearing.

465216[/snapback]

You know what, excellent point, unless the paintings are easily changeable. Even the Sabres said they will be switching once the NHL allows them too, so those murals would have to be changed sooner or later.

Just like in the NFL, uniform changes have to be approved on year in advance.  They can get special permission to wear the old jerseys like they did a few years back when Golisano took over, but that's it.  You won't be seeing anything new (or old) this year.

Ignoring the rules for a second, here's another reason why this won't happen, money.  If they were going to change jerseys, they would've announced it so that they could make more money in the Sabre Store.

465203[/snapback]

Something tells me that if the Sabres skate out onto the ice tomorrow with blue and gold jerseys they won't have a problem selling them during intermissions and after the game.

Something tells me that if the Sabres skate out onto the ice tomorrow with blue and gold jerseys they won't have a problem selling them during intermissions and after the game.

465497[/snapback]

I don't think they'd have a problem selling the new B&G. The issue is what do you do with 1,000 Black Noronnen sweaters. :)

Dave.

Be this as it may, i know i am rockin my black Drury jersey today, and you best believe when i get back in town and go to the game on the 10th i will be getting a new blue and gold if they are there....

You can't measure my excitement for hockey season!!!

Just got a call. The new jerseys are a go!

Don't believe me, wait and see tonight.

465843[/snapback]

Here's another problem I have with this. If they want to make this a big surprise, why is some guy openly telling you about this?

Here's another problem I have with this.  If they want to make this a big surprise, why is some guy openly telling you about this?

465866[/snapback]

Because I'm well connected my friend. And did I ever say that someone from the Sabres told me? Plenty of other groups of people know, NHL, NHLPA, jersey makers, etc.

I knew this was coming, but not until today did I find out from someone that would definitely know.

Because I'm well connected my friend. And did I ever say that someone from the Sabres told me? Plenty of other groups of people know, NHL, NHLPA, jersey makers, etc.

I knew this was coming, but not until today did I find out from someone that would definitely know.

465870[/snapback]

I hope you're right, i can resurrect my old blue and gold...any word if they are the same as the old ones, or were there slight modifications?

(fyi-i hope you know that you will be in for one hell of a shitstorm from the board tomorrow if they are still wearing black and red tonite)

465870[/snapback]

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it happen, but this is one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" situations. Luckily, we're only 9 hours away.

I hope you're right, i can resurrect my old blue and gold...any word if they are the same as the old ones, or were there slight modifications?

(fyi-i hope you know that you will be in for one hell of a shitstorm from the board tomorrow if they are still wearing black and red tonite)

465875[/snapback]

If I'm wrong, you won't see me here for a long time. Why? Cause I'd have a hit list of all the people that told me this was going down tonight.

Nevertheless, no need to worry. This is happening.

If I'm wrong, you won't see me here for a long time. Why? Cause I'd have a hit list of all the people that told me this was going down tonight.

Nevertheless, no need to worry. This is happening.

465886[/snapback]

Lucky for you, most people still have no idea how they are going to see the game tonight except for the people going.

Not to confirm or deny this, but the sabres website was down for a bit yesterday... could be nothing or routine maintenance, or could be a new design. However they did just redesign it a few months ago, so that would seem odd to me. Someone better post what they see on tv tonight as i will be only able to pick up the radio feed during the second period tonight.

Go Sabres!

Lucky for you, most people still have no idea how they are going to see the game tonight except for the people going. 

Not to confirm or deny this, but the sabres website was down for a bit yesterday... could be nothing or routine maintenance, or could be a new design.  However they did just redesign it a few months ago, so that would seem odd to me.  Someone better post what they see on tv tonight as i will be only able to pick up the radio feed during the second period tonight.

Go Sabres!

465892[/snapback]

Hopefully it was down because they realized it was a mistake to have JP-era design the website...

Not to nit-pick, but even though the blue and gold would be awesome, it still loses something for me with red and black gloves, goalie pads, and all the equipment that can't be changed on a whim.

Just got a call. The new jerseys are a go!

Don't believe me, wait and see tonight.

465843[/snapback]

Tonight will only prove that they have the throwbacks available as at least a third jersey. Big whip. They did in the last season as well. It would be stupid for them not to provide something to remind people of an era where the players played for the love of the sport...

Not that I doubt you, I'm just saying that tonight will "prove" nothing (unless they come out in the black uni's...)....

Tonight will only prove that they have the throwbacks available as at least a third jersey.  Big whip.  They did in the last season as well.  It would be stupid for them not to provide something to remind people of an era where the players played for the love of the sport...

Not that I doubt you, I'm just saying that tonight will "prove" nothing (unless they come out in the black uni's...)....

465903[/snapback]

Here's exactly what I was told today:

"They did apply for the jersey change last season and will be in their new jerseys tonight."

I don't think third jerseys is what I take out of this.

Here's exactly what I was told today:

"They did apply for the jersey change last season and will be in their new jerseys tonight."

I don't think third jerseys is what I take out of this.

465906[/snapback]

I understand. I'm just saying that it's still only "your word" unless:

a ) They announce "Welcome the Sabres in their new uniforms" at the game (or make another similar proclamation),

b ) The league bans throwbacks for the opener,

c ) They wear the unis more than the number of times a team is allowed to wear throwbacks.

Option "A" is likely, so I look forward to hearing an "I told you so" when Golisano/Regier say something in the pre/post-game presser. It's just odd that they would not say anything before the game, especially if they thought it would put more fannies in the seats...

The players skating out in those unis is not enough by itself to "prove" anything...that's all I said. Just being an ass... :D

I understand.  I'm just saying that it's still only "your word" unless:

a ) They announce "Welcome the Sabres in their new uniforms" at the game (or make another similar proclamation),

b ) The league bans throwbacks for the opener,

c ) They wear the unis more than the number of times a team is allowed to wear throwbacks.

Option "A" is likely, so I look forward to hearing an "I told you so" when Golisano/Regier say something in the pre/post-game presser.  It's just odd that they would not say anything before the game, especially if they thought it would put more fannies in the seats...

The players skating out in those unis is not enough by itself to "prove" anything...that's all I said.  Just being an ass...  :D

465922[/snapback]

So when the Sabres skate out in brand new jerseys, that's not enough to prove they are switching to new jerseys? :D

You can bet your ass that I'm going to be shaking in my seat tonight when they come out because they probably will still have the current logo at centre ice and the players will wear the current jerseys at warm up as not to tip anyone off.

If I'm wrong, then my god, I don't think I could ever return to TBD. But like I said before, too many people told me this was going down and I already had a strong gut feeling from what I personally know.

So when the Sabres skate out in brand new jerseys, that's not enough to prove they are switching to new jerseys?  :D

465929[/snapback]

No, it isn't, just as it wasn't enough to prove it when they skated out in them two years ago. Just having the players wear those jerseys once does not delineate that those are the "official" jerseys versus the "throwback" jerseys. Again, that's all I'm saying...they'll likely say something after the game to confirm/deny if they do skate out in throwback style jerseys, but until then it could simply be players wearing throwbacks...

Unless of course I'm missing something with respect to the NHL rules on throw-backs...