Commitment to the running game...

SDS

I'm not saying this is what we SHOULD do, but if you need a definition of commitment to the running game then look no further than the Carolina Panthers.

Right or wrong, you know that team has a philosophy to win games in a particular way.

BTW, I have no point in saying this.

I'm not saying this is what we SHOULD do, but if you need a definition of commitment to the running game then look no further than the Carolina Panthers.

Right or wrong, you know that team has a philosophy to win games in a particular way.

465169[/snapback]

I overheard a fellow co-worker at the water cooler saying "Did you see that game last night? Carolina knows what they are doing with their offense. They run, run, and run and don't let up. When they absolutely have to pass, they'll take their shots but for the most part they aren't shy about their run game."

I agreed from a distance. It's also noteable that the Panthers are capable of doing this because of having an excellent 1-2 punch in Davis and Foster.

I thought that's what TD wanted all along. Shaud Williams provides a different spark than Willis. He's faster than hades and always manages to get yards. Just my take on it.

I was at the game - Panthers PSL season ticket holder. Funny how outsiders view the team and the running game. Here in Carolina, we want Delhomme to PASS the ball. Problem with the Panthers, they are predictable and runs the SAME running plays over and over.

And remember - when the Panthers were up 32-13 they ran the ball and let Green Bay back into the game.

Just some food for thought...

I was at the game - Panthers PSL season ticket holder. Funny how outsiders view the team and the running game. Here in Carolina, we want Delhomme to PASS the ball. Problem with the Panthers, they are predictable and runs the SAME running plays over and over.

And remember - when the Panthers were up 32-13 they ran the ball and let Green Bay back into the game.

Just some food for thought...

465230[/snapback]

Of course it help if the D could make a stop against 2nd string ofeensive lines and third string receivers.

Horrid offense aside, I think Jerry Gray is largely responsible for this slide. He didn't blitz a stationary QB (Griese), was public about how he should have in hindsight, and since then has blitzed two of the most mobile QBs in the league, to no avail. Jerry Gray is calling games on pride. He's trying to do it "his way" rather than copying what has worked versus the Saints, blueprints that other teams have shown us.

Offensively, JP has hamstrung the offense but the offensive line hasn't done its job, either. Teams are pinning their ears back on JP and JP can't make the easy plays, our linemen are getting tired out, and they're getting pushed backwards.

It's pathetic, and it starts with TD, although I'm more disappointed in Mularkey and his coaches than I am TD at this point. Wyche said before the season: If this team isn't successful, it will be because of coaching.

Seeing people complain about JSP's picks for BOTD is all the proof I needed...

465282[/snapback]

Check the complaint sources. That should tell you all you need to know. Unless you are counting my comments on how they all snore and can't make scratch pancakes. Microwave sausage? Come on...Grits? Forget it.

465169[/snapback]

But you have to pass to win. Committment to the running game doesn't work. Finknottle told me so.

:)

Unless you are counting my comments on how they all snore and can't make scratch pancakes. Microwave sausage? Come on...Grits? Forget it.

465288[/snapback]

There is nothing hotter than a half dressed lady making pancakes on the following morning.

Do you think it has anything to do with Clements being an ex QB and ex QB coach? Seems Gilbride had the same issue - he was a QB coach and loved to throw.

465169[/snapback]

Do you think it has anything to do with Clements being an ex QB and ex QB coach? Seems Gilbride had the same issue - he was a QB coach and loved to throw.

465347[/snapback]

Maybe but Paul Hackett was a qb coach and with the jets the past few years he knew you had to run the ball to win. Al Saunders another former qb coach now oc of the chiefs, and well there whole offensive success is based on running the ball. Good coaches know how to establish a rhythm and stick with what works. No you're not gonna have good calls all the time, but the good ones know how to be consistent and play to your teams strengths and other teams weaknesses.

For the people who keep blaming the defense, about lack of turnovers etc etc. The major difference is during our streak last year the offense could at least score points off turnovers, forcing other teams to be more one dimensional, making it easy to play defense against the pass, or run. now due to lack of offensive efficency it makes it a lot harder for a defensive coordinator to scheme and harder for defensive players to force turnovers. When we get better on offense we'll get better on defense, right now our lack of defensive depth especially on the dline is being exposed, no pressure from front 4, no points from offense makes long games for our defense.

Maybe but Paul Hackett was a qb coach  and with the jets the past few years he knew you had to run the ball to win.  Al Saunders another former qb coach now oc of the chiefs, and well there whole offensive success is based on running the ball.  Good coaches know how to establish a  rhythm and stick with what works.  No you're not gonna have good calls all the time, but the good ones know how to be consistent and play to your teams strengths and other teams weaknesses. 

For the people who keep blaming the defense, about lack of turnovers etc etc.  The major difference is during our streak last year the offense could at least score points off turnovers, forcing other teams to be more one dimensional, making it easy to play defense against the pass, or run. now due to lack of offensive efficency it makes it a lot harder for a defensive coordinator to scheme and harder for defensive players to force turnovers.  When we get better on offense we'll get better on defense, right now our lack of defensive depth especially on the dline is being exposed, no pressure from front 4, no points from offense makes long games for our defense.

465358[/snapback]

Well geeze thanks for blowing my pancake fantasy.

Horrid offense aside, I think Jerry Gray is largely responsible for this slide. He didn't blitz a stationary QB (Griese), was public about how he should have in hindsight, and since then has blitzed two of the most mobile QBs in the league, to no avail. Jerry Gray is calling games on pride. He's trying to do it "his way" rather than copying what has worked versus the Saints, blueprints that other teams have shown us.

465279[/snapback]

That sounds an awful lot like his old boss, Greggo.

Guest BackInDaDay

465169[/snapback]

Carolina rushed for only 61 yards in their loss to Miami. While driving for the winning FG, Delhomme (19 of 35 for 285 yards and 3 TDs) tossed his only pick with 2 minutes left in a tied game (24 to 24).

Carolina's RB Stephen Davis had only 36 yards rushing.

Carolina may have gone to the well too often, but it was their passing game that had them in position to win, not their running game.