Let's reshuffle the o-line

I for one didn't think the o-line played poorly last week, and didn't understand what you were all talking about. Man, did that change this week. What a bunch of stiffs. And the key problem seems to be the Teague-Villareal combo during pass protection - they got toasted a couple of times against Atlanta, and I chalked it up to Rod Coleman being on top of his game, but it happened too often against the Saints - now it's a trend. Villareal, unfortunately, has left the building - it's one of those unplanned-for things that happens to a team, where they realize that one of their key components just aged suddenly during the offseason, or whatever. Whatever it is, Villareal can't pass protect anymore, and Teague is having similar problems (never seen his technique this poor, it's amazing). Anyhow, here's what I suggest:

1) If Peters is ready, make him the LT. Big "if," but he showed me enough during the preseason that I would try it.

2) Move Gandy to LG - this is NOT because he's been playing poorly, he hasn't - he's actually been our most consistent lineman. But, he has a guard's body, and should be an upgrade over Villareal in pass protection and at least as good in the running game.

3) Put Duke in at center - this one is tough, because Preston has been inconsistent when he's been in there. But, it has to happen sooner or later - and by the looks of Teague, we need some youth and strength at that position.

Again, just a thought, something to provide a "spark" as everyone is saying. The line would look like this:

Peters-Anderson-Preston-Gandy-Iron(!) Mike

Somehow this reminds me of the argument during the offseason to start JP over Drew: "He couldn't possibly be worse than Drew, right?"

Guess what...no matter how bad things may look, there is always worse.

Somehow this reminds me of the argument during the offseason to start JP over Drew: "He couldn't possibly be worse than Drew, right?"

Guess what...no matter how bad things may look, there is always worse.

464453[/snapback]

I'm just trying to think proactively, unlike 75% of this Board that seems content to find different ways of saying "I told you so" and "We suck."

Again, just a thought, something to provide a "spark" as everyone is saying.  The line would look like this:

464445[/snapback]

Good thought in general. I think it may be better to make one change at a time. Else it will take forever for the line to gel (if they ever will).

I for one didn't think the o-line played poorly last week, and didn't understand what you were all talking about.  Man, did that change this week.  What a bunch of stiffs.  And the key problem seems to be the Teague-Villareal combo during pass protection - they got toasted a couple of times against Atlanta, and I chalked it up to Rod Coleman being on top of his game, but it happened too often against the Saints - now it's a trend.  Villareal, unfortunately, has left the building - it's one of those unplanned-for things that happens to a team, where they realize that one of their key components just aged suddenly during the offseason, or whatever.  Whatever it is, Villareal can't pass protect anymore, and Teague is having similar problems (never seen his technique this poor, it's amazing).  Anyhow, here's what I suggest:

1)  If Peters is ready, make him the LT.  Big "if," but he showed me enough during the preseason that I would try it.

2)  Move Gandy to LG - this is NOT because he's been playing poorly, he hasn't - he's actually been our most consistent lineman.  But, he has a guard's body, and should be an upgrade over Villareal in pass protection and at least as good in the running game.

3)  Put Duke in at center - this one is tough, because Preston has been inconsistent when he's been in there.  But, it has to happen sooner or later - and by the looks of Teague, we need some youth and strength at that position.

Again, just a thought, something to provide a "spark" as everyone is saying.  The line would look like this:

464445[/snapback]

Sounds good. We need a spark at the OL positions ! Not the QB position !

I'm just trying to think proactively, unlike 75% of this Board that seems content to find different ways of saying "I told you so" and "We suck."

464457[/snapback]

Teague has stunk it up all year with his "Ole!" matador blocking. At some point a change has to be made. The idea of Peters and Anderson on the blind side is a bit scary though. Anderson has been OK but needs to do better.

Did Mike Williams play Sunday, I know he was questionable.

What about RB blocking? I have not been impressed with Shelton in run blocking and he whiffs in picking up the blitz. BIG disappointmant at the FB position. Is Joe Burns that much worse?

I only listened a bit on the radio this week so I missed the right week, from the sounds of it.

:)

I'm for anything at this point with this "line". But I think they also need to look at the offensive play calling. According to the guy on Total Access (can't recall his name), he said the Saints defenders told him "the Bills offense was predictable". They essentially knew what was coming.

I'ev said it before, if I can sit half way across the country in my living room, half drunk, and scarfing fried pickles, and can still call the play - don't you think the opposing defenses know what's coming to.

I'm not saying get tricky. I'm just saying stop using the same formations and player packages for the same plays over and over. Empty backfields and I formations pretty much lead to one thing.

As soon as Crybaby Mike waddles back into the lineup,

LT: Peters

LG: Gandy

C: Preston

RG: Villarial

RT: Williams

backups: Teague, Anderson, Jerman, Geisinger

This would not only eliminate the three biggest culprits (to me, at least) currently starting, but would be excellent preparation for next year to at least see what we've got in Preston and Peters.

Also, Villarial may very well be overrated, but don't forget that he's sandwiched between incompetence right now - Teague to his left and Jerman to his right. So part of his problem may be because he's unsuccessfully trying to pick up the blocking slack from his teammates.

I'm for anything at this point with this "line".  But I think they also need to look at the offensive play calling.  According to the guy on Total Access (can't recall his name), he said the Saints defenders told him "the Bills offense was predictable".  They essentially knew what was coming.

464610[/snapback]

Hmm. So they knew every time we were going to run the ball, yet they really couldn't do much to stop McGahee. What does that mean?

Maybe what he meant by "predictable" was, "Once we saw McGahee ripping some nice runs on that first drive we could predict that they would abandon the running game from then on."