said it before, will say it again

the bills have 2 home games coming up against the dolphins and the jets. that makes them 2-0 in the division and 3-0 in the conference.

the pats play at atlanta next week and then at denver - they'll lose at least one of those games. that puts them at 3-3 and 2-2 in the conference (0-0 in the division).

the jets host tampa this week and then travel to buffalo. assuming the bills beat them, they're possibly 1-5 (2-4 at best).

miami plays at buffalo and then goes to tampa. assuming the bills win, they'll most likely be 2-3.

the bills are not a good team. in fact they're basically a weak team and mediocre at best. however, mediocre could possibly win the division this year. what does that mean for the qb situation the next couple of weeks? any thoughts? if they are contemplating going to holcomb (which i oppose) because they feel he gives them a better chance to win, they should do it right now while the season is still alive. losing to miami next week would be a killer given the remainder of the bills' schedule. they'll also be holding the #3 slot in the division, which may prove to be insurmountable. they'll still have to play at miami, which gives miami a huge edge in head to head, and NE isn't going to be worse than 9-7 (in fact, that's where i think they'll end up).

the bills have 2 home games coming up against the dolphins and the jets. that makes them 2-0 in the division and 3-0 in the conference.

the pats play at atlanta next week and then at denver - they'll lose at least one of those games. that puts them at 3-3 and 2-2 in the conference (0-0 in the division). 

the jets host tampa this week and then travel to buffalo. assuming the bills beat them, they're possibly 1-5 (2-4 at best).

miami plays at buffalo and then goes to tampa. assuming the bills win, they'll most likely be 2-3.

the bills are not a good team. in fact they're basically a weak team and mediocre at best. however, mediocre could possibly win the division this year. what does that mean for the qb situation the next couple of weeks? any thoughts? if they are contemplating going to holcomb (which i oppose) because they feel he gives them a better chance to win, they should do it right now while the season is still alive. losing to miami next week would be a killer given the remainder of the bills' schedule.  they'll also be holding the #3 slot in the division, which may prove to be insurmountable. they'll still have to play at miami, which gives miami a huge edge in head to head, and NE isn't going to be worse than 9-7 (in fact, that's where i think they'll end up).

463086[/snapback]

Good post. Those are my thoughts, too, although I don't condone going with Holcomb against Miami. You cannot count the Patriots down, but I would not be surprised one bit if 9-7 wins the division, and teams that are 8-7 going into the last week are battling for the top spot.

I like your thinking...

Now, though, they've got to make it happen  :lol:

463092[/snapback]

that's the hard part! seriously, i'm pretty worried about the miami game, but who knows? the bills haven't been getting turnovers, but that could turn around against the phins. clements has had some pretty big days against miami. too bad ray lucas won't be playing. that said, if the bills can force 2+ turnovers and provided they take care of the ball, they could well pull it out. as for the jets, the bills really should be able to beat them at home. the jets do not have a credible qb. my concern in that game is that the jets are in fact quite talented on defense and could shut the bills down, making it a game of turnovers and flukes.

Good post. Those are my thoughts, too, although I don't condone going with Holcomb against Miami. You cannot count the Patriots down, but I would not be surprised one bit if 9-7 wins the division, and teams that are 8-7 going into the last week are battling for the top spot.

463093[/snapback]

How did one of the toughest divisions in the NFL go completely to crap so quickly?

I agree 100% with your point of if they are going to make the change, they need to make it now or never.

I am nether a JP or Holcomb fanatic, it doesn't make a rats ass to me on a personal level who is behind center ....... I just want the guy who gives us the best chance to win in there while winning or losing can make a difference.

As far as playing games to give some "new kid" experiance ..... I say let him get experiance either in "mop up duty" or when the playoffs are resonably out of reach.

How did one of the toughest divisions in the NFL go completely to crap so quickly?

463098[/snapback]

a brutal schedule (nfc south and afc west), injuries in the case of the jets and pats, and a decision by the bills to rebuild at the qb position. pretty simple, actually. don't be shocked if miami is in the thick of it at the end of the season. their talent level last year outside of the qb position was much better than their record, and they've improved dramatically there. plus they have stable and probably better coaching (although I always thought bates was a good defensive coordinator). they had a good offseason, basically (certainly better than the bills).

After the debacle yesterday, I think we're looking at closer to 1-15 than to 8-8. I expected a spirited game yesterday from the defense and we got nothing. ST played well. And when you get stuffed twice and 3rd & 1 and 4th & 1 you're toast. Whose the best player coming out of college next year, as I think we are vying for the No. 1 overall pick. This team doesn't show anything. No emotion, no glimpse of good plays, the defense is horrible and just lost their best player, they seem to think that a run of 3 or 4 yards is a great play when they jump up and down and pump their fists. The "lock down" corner still takes penalties at in opportune times and seems to be only playing for himself.

It's time to rebuild. The defense is not playoff caliber and never will be. The OLine isn't either and probably never will be. Get 'r done Tom.

This game is huge (Miami) momentum wise. If the Bills can come out and win, I don't care how ugly it is, then were are only a game away from .500 with the Jets coming in. If we lose this game it's gonna be a long road ahead even if we beat the Jets. We'll be 2-4 at that point with games in Oakland and New England before the bye. We'll be lucky to win one of those two.

If we can be 4-4 going in to the bye week and then split two games one with KC at home and one at SD on the road (not a promising prospect) 5-5 at that point we'd need to go 4-2 against the likes of Carolina, in Miami, NE, Denver, in Cincy and in NY.

Things can turn around but problems at Oline and QB are a killer no matter who you are.

After the debacle yesterday, I think we're looking at closer to 1-15 than to 8-8.  I expected a spirited game yesterday from the defense and we got nothing. ST played well. And when you get stuffed twice and 3rd & 1 and 4th & 1 you're toast.  Whose the best player coming out of college next year, as I think we are vying for the No. 1 overall pick.  This team doesn't show anything. No emotion, no glimpse of good plays, the defense is horrible and just lost their best player, they seem to think that a run of 3 or 4 yards is a great play when they jump up and down and pump their fists.  The "lock down" corner still takes penalties at in opportune times and seems to be only playing for himself. 

It's time to rebuild.  The defense is not playoff caliber and never will be.  The OLine isn't either and probably never will be.  Get 'r done Tom.

463121[/snapback]

i'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. the bills are not a good team, but in retrospect didn't have much of a chance yesterday against a decent team on the road. as well, i'm not conspiratorial, but i did think it quite strange that the bills were barraged with penalties while the saints - one of the most penalized and least disciplined teams in the league - had hardly any. basically, the league wanted the saints to win, and on top of that the saints had already been jobbed by having to play at giants stadium.

as for the bills, they won't be 1-15, but they could easily end up 4-12/5-11. however, if they win these next 2 games, all bets are off - they'll have regained confidence and will be in the thick of it. 6 of their final 10 will be on the road, so i wouldn't get my hopes up, but they could make some noise if the qb position gets to a point where it's playing effectively and with confidence.

Lets get this straight:

We're currently playing the easiest part of our backloaded schedule with these division home games coming up. NE is playing 1 of the most brutal stretches in league history with 4 of 5 on the road...

And IF we get a few breaks these next couple of weeks, we COULD be in 1st place with 10 games remaining? Awesome. I'm pumped.

The logic here is all well and good in theory but how the hell are the Bills going to win a game? Their QB and O-Line are horrible and the defense is the worst in the league. Easy enough to say the Bills will beat Miami and the Jets because they are home games but I just don't see it. Ricky Williams and Curtis Martin the next two weeks. That's two more 100+ yard rushing games. The Bills can't score and can't stop the run. That equals lots of losses.