JP = Heath Shuler, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf

zow2

It pains me to say but when you compare JP's first 3 starts to the guys i mentioned, JP is right on target,,,well his yardage is much lower. Actually Leaf threw for some decent yardage over the course of his 3 miserable years but INT's killed him. Smith and Shuler just sucked royally and completed about 48% of their passes.

FYI- i think JP is talented ...just needs to calm down a bit and play like it's fun again.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It pains me to say but when you compare JP's first 3 starts to the guys i mentioned, JP is right on target,,,well his yardage is much lower.  Actually Leaf threw for some decent yardage over the course of his 3 miserable years but INT's killed him.  Smith and Shuler just sucked royally and completed about 48% of their passes.

FYI- i think JP is talented ...just needs to calm down a bit and play like it's fun again.

462141[/snapback]

Thing of it is, we haven't really seen any big flashes from JP that indicates he will be very good someday. He seems to be really lost out there on the field. His passes are mostly off target and that really worries me.

I guess the Bills coaches got a little worried today also. :devil:

Thing of it is, we haven't really seen any big flashes from JP that indicates he will be very good someday. He seems to be really lost out there on the field. His passes are mostly off target and that really worries me.

I guess the Bills coaches got a little worried today also.  :devil:

462150[/snapback]

That's garbage. He has already shown every single skill you could possibly want in a quarterback. I admit, he has played terribly these last three games. he deserved to be benched both of the times he was benched, even though personally I wouldnt have done it this game, although I understand it. But he has clearly shown that he can throw every pass, he has a cannon, he handles the ball extremely well, he has great running ability and he has very good escapability. He can thread the needle on short slants, mini posts and passes down the middle.

I don't know what you're watching but he has displayed all the talent you want. He just needs to make far better decisions, he has to settle down, he has to take something off the ball when he doesn't need to gun it, he has to slide instead of try for the extra yard, he has to take what the defense gives him instead of trying to make the great play all the time, he has to throw the ball away when the rush is on deep in his own end, he has to look off his main target quicker and more decisively, and he has to make better throws when guys are open. That is a ton of different things. But he has clearly shown to me that he can do most or all of that. And it's simply experience. Frankly, I think it's going to take him the whole year.

That's garbage. He has already shown every single skill you could possibly want in a quarterback. I admit, he has played terribly these last three games. he deserved to be benched both of the times he was benched, even though personally I wouldnt have done it this game, although I understand it. But he has clearly shown that he can throw every pass, he has a cannon, he handles the ball extremely well, he has great running ability and he has very good escapability. He can thread the needle on short slants, mini posts and passes down the middle.

I don't know what you're watching but he has displayed all the talent you want. He just needs to make far better decisions, he has to settle down, he has to take something off the ball when he doesn't need to gun it, he has to slide instead of try for the extra yard, he has to take what the defense gives him instead of trying to make the great play all the time, he has to throw the ball away when the rush is on deep in his own end, he has to look off his main target quicker and more decisively, and he has to make better throws when guys are open. That is a ton of different things. But he has clearly shown to me that he can do most or all of that. And it's simply experience. Frankly, I think it's going to take him the whole year.

462207[/snapback]

He's got braun with no brain. His decisions eerily remind me of Greg Williams. Both of them have similar thinking processes. This guy isn't bright.

JP has an arm, he can run, he doesnt appear to be missing his reads....he is just not accurate. Since this has never been a problem for him in the past, I am not so concerned.

Its a tough call going from here. I dont think Holcomb can lead us to the playoffs, so we might as well let JP go this season, let him come back next season and see where he is. if after a few weeks of next season we are looking at the same QB, its time to make a change.

He's got braun with no brain. His decisions eerily remind me of Greg Williams. Both of them have similar thinking processes. This guy isn't bright.

462217[/snapback]

Except that he's a smart kid, he got good grades in school, he played smart ball in college (making a lot of plays and not making a lot of turnovers) and he had a very good Wonderlic score. His decisions are that of a excitable kid, which is what he is. Look at the quarterbacks who are doing well these days. Eli Manning. Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Ben Rothlisberger, Trent Green, Mark Bulger, maybe a couple others. Two of those eight played well right off the bat, Ben and Brady, and Ben doesnt really throw that much. The others were terrible, or couldn't even crack the starting lineup for several years.

It pains me to say but when you compare JP's first 3 starts to the guys i mentioned, JP is right on target,,,well his yardage is much lower.  .........

462141[/snapback]

He isn't like them at all. He has a completely different personality. Did you see him trying to cheer on his teammates after he was benched. The other QBs you mentioned just aren't like that.

JP has an arm, he can run, he doesnt appear to be missing his reads....he is just not accurate.  Since this has never been a problem for him in the past, I am not so concerned.

Its a tough call going from here.  I dont think Holcomb can lead us to the playoffs, so we might as well let JP go this season, let him come back next season and see where he is.  if after a few weeks of next season we are looking at the same QB, its time to make a change.

462227[/snapback]

I wonder if having him in the shotgun more often would help out. That's how he played college ball. Maybe, keep one back in, drop the tightends and put out 4 receivers. And if nothing is open, let him run. They might be trying to conform him to a pro style too soon.

"Accuracy" and "touch" folks. That's what makes Peyton and Brady the cream of the crop and that's what's killing JP (among many things). Wyche tells him to throw hard and let the WR's make the catch. Why can't JP get it that you can't throw a 400 mph fastball to a guy 8 yards in front of you? Holcomb looked awful too but at least he made a couple touch passes over the middle to McGahee. JP needs to incorporate that into his game somehow. He's really the perfect example of a guy who will be overwhelmed until the game slows down for him.

It pains me to say but when you compare JP's first 3 starts to the guys i mentioned, JP is right on target,,,well his yardage is much lower.  Actually Leaf threw for some decent yardage over the course of his 3 miserable years but INT's killed him.  Smith and Shuler just sucked royally and completed about 48% of their passes.

462141[/snapback]

He reminds me of Todd Collins.

In 1997, Collins went 215/391 for 12 TD, 13 int & 358 yards. First year rating of 69.5. Going into today, JP was 38/79, 1 TD, 1 int and 358 yards for a rating of 60.0 . Today's performance by JP? 7/15 for 75 yards and one int.

On the season, he's 45/94, 1 TD, and 2 Int... rating of.... 55.9 (http://www.footballguys.com/qbrating.htm).

So. Based on that, I believe the cure to our ills is to BRING TODD COLLINS BACK! Yes. That's it.

-Jeff

(Edit: I'm actually a big JP supporter... but so far, he's reminded me of TC. I think he'll work out once he gets his ducks in a row.... this is meant to be a humorous post.)

JP has an arm, he can run, he doesnt appear to be missing his reads....he is just not accurate.  Since this has never been a problem for him in the past, I am not so concerned.

Its a tough call going from here.  I dont think Holcomb can lead us to the playoffs, so we might as well let JP go this season, let him come back next season and see where he is.  if after a few weeks of next season we are looking at the same QB, its time to make a change.

462227[/snapback]

Same thing I'm thinking, let him play it out. Give him the experience necessary to be a qb in the NFL and the wins will come. I didn't agree with pulling him today at all.

462141[/snapback]

I watched the Jets today, and Brooks friggin Bollinger looked better than JP has looked all season. That's pretty pathetic when a 3rd string guy looks better than the annoited one who spent the whole off season preparing to be a starter. And he did this against Baltimore.

I don't think he's that far away....  he hits a few passes, he be OK.

Damn, your expecting too much from him considering his god awful protection.

462178[/snapback]

His pass to Jason Craft was perfect. Nice touch. Hit him right in stride.

Just kidding. I have been pretty disgusted over the last three, but am not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater. JP reminds me of someone who studues so hard before a test, that he gets nervous and chokes...freezes up when he actually gets into the test itself. I may be way off base, but I think the only problem is between the kids ears. I am still hoping SW can get through to him. I don't think I would have benched him today, and I think you have to let him play out the season, or try to make a trade now. Holcombe doesn't look like too great a backup at present, let alone our franchise guy to build around. Do or Die JP's our guy...Hey that would chant pretty well at the stadium

"Do or Die JP's our Guy" everybody now...

Same thing I'm thinking, let him play it out.  Give him the experience necessary to be a qb in the NFL and the wins will come.  I didn't agree with pulling him today at all.

462335[/snapback]

There's a difference between replacing him as the starter and making a last-ditch effort to hopefully spark some offense. Mularkey has made it clear that JP is the starter and will be the starter. There's no controversy going down in Buffalo.

What Mike did was, in my opinion, a good move. Nothing was clicking with JP. The game was coming to an end. Throw another pitcher into the mix to see if, just perhaps, the team as a whole starts clicking.

I've got myself convinced that it wasn't done as a shot at JP, rather a final stab at perhaps pulling out a W.

-Jeff

Losman is a rookie and he's playing like one, which is pretty much like EVERY QB ever not named Marino or Roethlisburger. He reminds me a bit of Eli Manning last season, without the litany of boneheaded throws.

To many of you people have absolutely no patience and even less game understanding.