prisco on losman

dave mcbride

In talking with league personnel and coaches, there is a growing consensus that Bills quarterback J.P. Losman isn't ready. "He's a ways away from being a good player," said one coach. The Bills let Drew Bledsoe leave with the idea that Losman was ready to be their starter. So far, he's been bad. In three starts, Losman has completed 38 of 79 passes for 358 yards, one touchdown and a passer rating of 60. By comparison, Bledsoe has thrown for 850 yards, six touchdowns and a passer rating of 103.7 for the Cowboys. The word is there is a growing feeling among the Bills players that it might be time to go to veteran Kelly Holcomb in place of Losman. That's a tough decision to make since Losman is obviously the quarterback of the future, and Bills coach Mike Mularkey said this week he is sticking with Losman. That could be something coming from above since the Bills traded a first-round pick in this year's draft to get Losman in the 2004 draft. If Losman struggles Sunday against the Saints, don't be shocked to see a change. The Bills have a lot of talent to waste on bad quarterback play.

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8907136

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In talking with league personnel and coaches, there is a growing consensus that Bills quarterback J.P. Losman isn't ready. "He's a ways away from being a good player," said one coach. The Bills let Drew Bledsoe leave with the idea that Losman was ready to be their starter. So far, he's been bad. In three starts, Losman has completed 38 of 79 passes for 358 yards, one touchdown and a passer rating of 60. By comparison, Bledsoe has thrown for 850 yards, six touchdowns and a passer rating of 103.7 for the Cowboys. The word is there is a growing feeling among the Bills players that it might be time to go to veteran Kelly Holcomb in place of Losman. That's a tough decision to make since Losman is obviously the quarterback of the future, and Bills coach Mike Mularkey said this week he is sticking with Losman. That could be something coming from above since the Bills traded a first-round pick in this year's draft to get Losman in the 2004 draft. If Losman struggles Sunday against the Saints, don't be shocked to see a change. The Bills have a lot of talent to waste on bad quarterback play.

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8907136

459789[/snapback]

I don't agree with the Bledsoe junk in the article, but Pete Prisco pretty much nailed it right on the head.

Guest BackInDaDay

In talking with league personnel and coaches, there is a growing consensus that Bills quarterback J.P. Losman isn't ready.

<_< Ya think?!

It's one thing for TBD posters to spew out the obvious under the pretense of being insightful, but when columnists, online or otherwise, do the same, hey're robbing their employers and their readers.

Yes.. there are 4 freakin' commas in that sentence! Live with it! :P

The Bills have a lot of talent to waste on bad quarterback play.

459789[/snapback]

I question that statement. As of now, the talent is not producing on D. So what exactly is this talent that he speaks of which is so undermined just by JP ?

I do agree somewhat that JP is not ready but as others on this board have said a million times till now, he never will be if KH starts.

I don't agree with the Bledsoe junk in the article

459797[/snapback]

Exactly which "Bledsoe junk" from the article do you "disagree" with:

A) Bledsoe has thrown for 850 yards,

B) six touchdowns

C) and a passer rating of 103.7

Exactly which "Bledsoe junk" from the article do you "disagree" with:

A) Bledsoe has thrown for 850 yards,

B) six touchdowns

C) and a passer rating of 103.7

459822[/snapback]

Including it in the article. Just because Drew is having a good year in Dallas doesn't mean he would be having a good year in Buffalo. It isn't relevant when it comes to our current issues.

Including it in the article. Just because Drew is having a good year in Dallas doesn't mean he would be having a good year in Buffalo. It isn't relevant when it comes to our current issues.

459835[/snapback]

Yeah, I don't know what more evidence you need to subscribe to the "Drew plays well his first 8 games with his new team before going into the tank" theory.

If I'm the Ravens or sombody I'd consider signing him around November next year.

459835[/snapback]

It just demonstrates that Drew was not the problem with the Bills as so many people argued.

It would be a mistake to bench JP for Holcomb. Holcomb has proven numerous times that he can't consistantly lead a team to victory over the long hall.

When we decided on JP as QB, the plan was "Just don't lose the game for us". Well, he hasn't. He isn't winning games for us yet, but he's not losing them either. The "almost" interceptions don't count.

Where is the dominant running game? Non existent. Where is the dominant special teams? Non existent. Where is the dominant defense that opened their yappers and talked about being #1 in history. Non existent. Oh wait, they exist as LAST in the league in rushing defense.

JP isn't where I'd hoped he'd be, but I'm not surprised at his lack of success as a first year QB.

There is an argument to be made though that since the defense sucks and the special teams are average (except FG kicking so far) that we can't wait for a first year QB to develop this year. I say give JP more time.

RTB

Guest BackInDaDay
It just demonstrates that Drew was not the problem with the Bills as so many people argued.

459860[/snapback]

Under the right circumstances Drew can flourish, but he can't win the 'big one'.

Sorry, that's the way it is. Some guys got it - some guys don't. Drew don't.

Doesn't make him a bad guy, but it has made him a journeyman QB.

With Drew you could make the play-offs for a couple years and get knocked out early due primarily to his poor play in big games.

With a young hopefull you may not sniff the play-offs for a season or two, but if he lives up to his potential, he could win you the championship.

I've got to choose the second. <_<

When we decided on JP as QB, the plan was "Just don't lose the game for us". Well, he hasn't. He isn't winning games for us yet, but he's not losing them either. The "almost" interceptions don't count.

459884[/snapback]

Nobody's looking for five TD passes per game, but a solid, 10-yard step-and-throw on 3rd and 7 would sure be nice every once in a while.

It would be a mistake to bench JP for Holcomb. Holcomb has proven numerous times that he can't consistantly lead a team to victory over the long hall.

Where is the dominant running game? Non existent. Where is the dominant special teams? Non existent. Where is the dominant defense that opened their yappers and talked about being #1 in history. Non existent. Oh wait, they exist as  LAST in the league in rushing defense.

JP isn't where I'd hoped he'd be, but I'm not surprised at his lack of success as a first year QB.

There is an argument to be made though that since the defense sucks and the special teams are average (except FG kicking so far) that we can't wait for a first year QB to develop this year. I say give JP more time.

RTB

459884[/snapback]

well, the running game is more dominant than you're giving it credit for, running for about 50 yards above the league average last week.

as for losman, he is "losing" games. i say this because to win in the nfl a team has to score points, and the league, like it or not, is a passing league. the bills went down this road in 1997 -- a great defense, a solid running game with a first round running back (a. smith) supplementing thurman thomas, and a qb who was inaccurate and simply couldn't make plays. they ended up 6-10, and the qb was gone the following season. before the season, it was said on numerous occasions that the bills were going to win a lot of 16-13 and 13-10 games. newsflash: if you're aiming to win games by that margin, you're pretty much trying not to lose instead of trying to win. and you know where that gets you: to an early slot in the draft the following year.

459860[/snapback]

Drew would have had just as many, if not more problems, than J.P. does. Bledsoe would have never scrambled for 25 yards on third down and would have likely tossed more picks than J.P. has already. J.P. has shown more emotion and passion so far this season than i have ever seen Sleepy Drew have. Drew has peaked, J.P. has just begun.

RIP UP THE SAINTS JP AND SHUT THESE PEOPLE UP!!!!

<_<:P;)