WSJ article on Bills Wonderlic

Buffalove

There's an article in today's WSJ grading all 32 teams in the NFL on their average Wonderlic test score, given to all draft prospects over the past seven years. The Bills were 11th in the league - tied with the Patriots. The average score of the general public is 21. The Bills average is 21.6; the defense averaged 21; Losman had a 31. The smartest four teams - the Rams, Raiders, Titans, & Bucs (in that order) - have all made the Super Bowl in the past five seasons. The winless Packers were the "dumbest" team - 19.1.

There's an article in today's WSJ grading all 32 teams in the NFL on their average Wonderlic test score, given to all draft prospects over the past seven years.  The Bills were 11th in the league - tied with the Patriots.  The average score of the general public is 21.  The Bills average is 21.6; the defense averaged 21; Losman had a 31.  The smartest four teams - the Rams, Raiders, Titans, & Bucs (in that order) - have all made the Super Bowl in the past five seasons.  The winless Packers were the "dumbest" team - 19.1.

459633[/snapback]

I wonder how high we would be if we cut Peters (didn't he get a 2?)

CW

There's an article in today's WSJ grading all 32 teams in the NFL on their average Wonderlic test score, given to all draft prospects over the past seven years.  The Bills were 11th in the league - tied with the Patriots.  The average score of the general public is 21.  The Bills average is 21.6; the defense averaged 21; Losman had a 31.  The smartest four teams - the Rams, Raiders, Titans, & Bucs (in that order) - have all made the Super Bowl in the past five seasons.  The winless Packers were the "dumbest" team - 19.1.

459633[/snapback]

Interesting. If the Bills are tied with the Patriots, and the Rams and Raiders are tops in the league, finally we have some conclusive evidence that the Wonderlic scores do not in any way transfer to the field.

I think the only position where it has some correlation to performance is qb for obvious reasons. But then again Jimbo wasn't actually a scholar.

459644[/snapback]

Not so sure about that: Bledsoe scored a 37, placing him on par with society's "mental elite" according to Wonderlic spokesmen. Eli Manning scored a 39 - highest among NFL starters sampled.

Actually, it appears O-line test scores have a big correlation with play on the field. The Bucs o-line averages 30 and its guards average 34 - 4 pts. higher than the average attorney. Their team is 2nd in the league in rushing.

Does anyone know what kind of questions are on the Wonderlic? Any examples?

459651[/snapback]

two sample questions were given in the article:

1. When rope is selling for $0.10 a foot, how many feet can you buy for sixty cents?

2. RESENT RESERVE: Do these words: 1) have similar meanings; 2) have contradictory meanings; 3) mean neither the same nor opposite

Does anyone know what kind of questions are on the Wonderlic? Any examples?

459651[/snapback]

They had a sample test posted at one point -- only 15 questions or so. It was ridiculously easy. I'm sad for our country if the average score is so low... :(

CW

Interesting. If the Bills are tied with the Patriots, and the Rams and Raiders are tops in the league, finally we have some conclusive evidence that the Wonderlic scores do not in any way transfer to the field.

In the Rams case, players scores aren't really that relevant 'cuz any correlation between intelligence & performance on the field has to start w/ the Head Coach. <_<

They had a sample test posted at one point -- only 15 questions or so.  It was ridiculously easy.  I'm sad for our country if the average score is so low...  <_<

CW

459656[/snapback]

I took this same position the first time I saw Wonderlic questions, but someone else pointed out that another factor is how much time they're given to take the exam. I believe you have to answer 160 questions in something like eight seconds.

Or something like that.