Anyone else think it's time for Tom to leave?

seq004

If the Bills continue to struggle throught the whole season like they have in the last two games, then yes, TD has worn out his welcome as far as the fans are concerned. Whether Ralph Wilson sees it that way or not is another question. Ultimately his opinion is the one hat counts.

he's been unlucky, but in this business that doesnt mean you get to keep your job

cant really let him go now but would firing him mean letting mularkey go as well? If so id say no as id like to give mike one last chance but thats up to ralph wilson to decide

457121[/snapback]

How has he been unlucky?

In 5 plus seasons no playoffs and we just keep waiting and hoping. To me he's had enough time and has to be held accountable for STILL not making the playoffs. I don't know about you guys but I miss the playoffs. I like MM for the most part but enough already.  For some odd reason Ralph likes the guy so I quess were stuck.

457119[/snapback]

One thing i have noticed about the NFL---you can pretty much tell NOTHING the first eight weeks. It show yer doing down the stretch.--although i have been guilty of some of the piling on myself(it kinda fun:):w00t:

I've said it a few times on here, so one more couldn't hurt.....those who are wanting TD gone are the same ones who will be whining after he's gone. TD is NOT the problem.

457178[/snapback]

You arent blaming me, now are you? I know its not TD's fault, but its not mine either...nor is it Gene Snitsky's

Oh, my bad, he isn't? There's not many others to blame at this rate.

We have tried the following during his tenure with crap results.

1. Four QBs: Rob Johnson, Alex Van Pelt, Drew Bledsoe, JP Leaf.

2. Too many OL to mention.

3. Two Head Coaches

4. Three Offensive Coordinators

Is it Eric Moulds fault, is that what you are saying?

By the way, Bill Cowher has gone to the playoffs multiple times without Tom Donahoe. On the other hand, Tom Donahoe has not gone to the playoffs without Bill Cowher.

Excuses for Tom Donahoe

1. John Butler left the team in salary cap hell, we need to bite the bullet for one season.

2. We have a great offense with Drew Bledsoe, we just need to improve the defense.

3. We have the defense, now we just need to improve the offense.

4. We just have to wait for JP Losman to develop.

When we go through the fifth rebuilding plan without smelling the playoffs, will it then be okay to blame Tom Donahoe?

The Tom Donahoe causes cancer or whatever thread, seems really lame right now.

Most teams do not anoint a low first round draft pick except when lacking better options, the player showing something in training camp or preseason, or the player stepping up when the original starter is injured.  Top ten pick maybe, but Losman was a marginal first round talent at best.

457198[/snapback]

I think you're making this too complicated in looking at his mistakes. The bud one was a mistake with his first HC hire and then going into a passive/aggressive mode in managing him. He let GW make some bad decisions that were obviously dumb to even us fan simpletons. He however, let GW have his way with these errors seemingly as long as GW bore the brunt of the blame for these mistakes .

1. He let GW hire his own team of folks to run the O who had even less experience than he had such as Sheppard at OC and GW budy Vinklarek at OL position coach.

2. He did lower the boom on Sheppard when he simply was so bad, but apparently gave GW his choice of Kevin Killdrive at OC when TD advocated hiring Clements.

3. GW cut Vinky out of the job when he clearly was not adding things at OL where has never coached before and I assume it took some insistence from above to get to move his buddy out, but the team then hired Ruel who had all of 1 year as a position coach. TD either hired an idiot he then had to fire with a year left on his contract or more likely allowed GW to do this.

Oddly, he did seem to create options for GW but then not force him to take them in many cases, For example the team did hire a former NFL OC as RB coach but GW never seemed to try or simply tried behind the scenes but never suceeded in getting Killdrive to change or diversify his O approach.

It got so bad and so obvious that finally Ruben took him on publicly, but still whatever his name was never replaced the flailing Killdrive.

TD did take actions which put GW in his place whenever he crossed the line publicly into TDs realm. For example, GW said publicly that Larry Centers could reamain a Bill as long as he wanted to. In about a week Centers was cut and Sam Gash was in. Clearly when it came to contract issues usually the province of the GM, GW was either out of the loop or a total liar.

The things you point to as indictments of TD are really not primary indictments but secondary ones which stem from his hiring of an HC with great lists but who could not HC a team. For example, of the 3 HCs, the first was clearly part of GW hiring his team with TD publicly saying the HC had the lead on this issue. The 2nd choice Killdrive it has been revealed that though he was once hire by TD it was actually Clements who was TDs choice but he let GW have his way. TD canned Killdrive with a year left on his contract )amd the rest of the GW regime he did not want (Vinky, Ruel and Jones on ST even though they were all under contract and kept the ones he liked even when they had offers to follow GW like Krunrie)

Other parts of your indictment were clearly Butler choices or more of a mixed bag rather than an indictment:

1. RJ was clearly a Butler caused problem and TD kept him because he could keep Flutie who clearly was not the long-term answer or RJ who almost certainly was not the long-term answer/ Contractually he had to keep one and he kept the bad choice rather than the worse choice. Its not really correct to fault him for making a bad choice when the bad choice was the better of the two choices.

Van Pelt was a reasonable keep as a back-up which he really always was in 2001.

Bledsoe was an excellent choice based on his Pro Bowl reserve output in 2002 (if you disagree then name the QB or several QBs you would have picked instead). TD erred in resigning rather than cuttng him after a horrid 2003 but getting just the two years out of Bledsoe with the NE subsidy would have been a fine wash for TD if he had just cut him. A 2005 mistake but not a horrid one as team won or loss based on the D and ST performance and it was bad that Bledsoe was a general non-factor but not horrid like he was the year before.

You are giving up on Losman way too quick. He may eventually deserve the Turks visit, but pulling the same panic that TB pulled when they traded thoss losers Favre and Young. Not likely that he will become so good but when they were traded it was not likely they would become the best in the business either.

I'd give him a c- at worse for QB choosing.

The OL mistake was letting GW have his way as he simply worsen a problem that clearly goes back to the Butler days and the retirement of Kent Hull.

The HC choices are the one major screw up which is not condonable for a fan but is certainly understandable as his last HC choice got him canned. MM does have a winning record as Bills coach at 10-9. Not satifactory but not indictable. Particularly when he actually led them to a comeback from a wprse 9-4 loast year and the team does have 4 winnable games (NO and their losing record and disruption, MI with a winning record but at the Ralph, NYJ with their losing record, disruption at the Ralph and Oak without a win and the hope of cheeseburgers.

Same deal with OC who has a winning record with us.

Even with these problems which you overexplain or are wrong about, you also leave out a series of good to great onfield moves such as McGahee, hring Sam fr a song, picking a number of draftees who made the Pro Bowl (Clements, McGee and even Henry) making some great non-moves like passing onsigning the oft-injured Jennings.

He has hired a solid front office staff led by Modrak and most of all for Ralph the business is making money hand over fist.

The point you make even if you used all the facts simply turns into a whine because TD just signed an extension.

Fuggaboutit.

Yup. TD should up and quit like many fans have already. :devil:

Good suggestions here: "stop going to the games", "don't put up with TD" and general calls for suicide always turn a season around.

Way to go. With fans like these, who needs a team.

457325[/snapback]

[/quote

I would not stop going to the games because of a GM. I went to every home game in the 1984 and 1985 season in which we had a total of 4 wins. I'll always be a Bills fan. It's the fans who except TD and his record in Buffalo that I question as so called fans. They except not being in the playoffs for 6 years, they except a GM who refuses to build a strong defensive and offensive line which is why we are now facing our 5th losing season in 6 years. The bottom line is wins and loses and TD has failed and fans need to accept it, deal with it and hopefully someone can pop a few NoDoz in Ralph's mouth to allow him to focus on a replacement.

Not to take this analogy too far, but calls for TD's head remind me of many who have called for Jim Boeheim's head over the years.  My response always was, OK, and replace him with who?  Who is better?

458294[/snapback]

In Jim's case, the dog warden in Lyons, NY. He can recruit but can't coach a lick(Jimbo, not the warden).

You arent blaming me, now are you? I know its not TD's fault, but its not mine either...nor is it Gene Snitsky's

457355[/snapback]

Did your parents not hug you enough as a child? :devil:

Emphatic Yes - TD should be fired. Not for his selection of players and talent, but for his mismanagement of the coaching opportunties here in Buffalo. In his short time with the Bills, TD has taken, (keping the lists short and realistic):

= Gregg Williams over John Fox and Marvin Lewis

= Mike Melarky over Romeo Crannel and Charlie Weiss

I think it is apparent that TD is taking coaches that will not challenge his authority - the whole experience in Pittsburgh with ownership taking Cowers side over his has made him damaged goods and unfit to be an effective GM in the NFL...

Emphatic Yes - TD should be fired.  Not for his selection of players and talent, but for his mismanagement of the coaching opportunties here in Buffalo.  In his short time with the Bills, TD has taken, (keping the lists short and realistic):

=  Gregg Williams over John Fox and Marvin Lewis

=  Mike Melarky over Romeo Crannel and Charlie Weiss

I think it is apparent that TD is taking coaches that will not challenge his authority - the whole experience in Pittsburgh with ownership taking Cowers side over his has made him damaged goods and unfit to be an effective GM in the NFL...

458648[/snapback]

I don't necessarily agree with you, but I get a good solid laugh every time I see your screen name.

Thanks! :devil:

Not to take this analogy too far, but calls for TD's head remind me of many who have called for Jim Boeheim's head over the years. My response always was, OK, and replace him with who? Who is better?

Please... comparing Teflon Tom to one of the 10 best alltime college BB coach and hall of famer is not only blatently stupid, it's an insult. There ain't no one in the galaxy that could have accomplished what he has in the past 29 years in a venue such as Syracuse.

Please... comparing Teflon Tom to one of the 10 best alltime college BB coach and hall of famer is not only blatently stupid, it's an insult.  There ain't no one in the galaxy that could have accomplished what he has in the past 29 years in a venue such as Syracuse.

458675[/snapback]

Comparing TD to Boeheim way off the mark. But the question of "who do you replace TD with" is valid.