Two observations from last Jags drive

zow2

I watched the last drive on Tivo again tonight. Two observations after slowing everything down and watching it over and over and over...

1) Nate can say what he wants but he was not in position to bat down that 47 yard pass. His momentum was taking him back to the goaline and Jimmy Smith had stopped and jumped back towards the ball. It was athletic for Nate to even get a hand in there, but no way could he have batted the ball down.

2) The TD catch in the back of the end zone was amazing on two fronts. First, the 6'4" Jax receiver did not outleap anyone. That has been misreported how many times now? He caught the ball in his chest falling backwards...plenty low enough for even our shortest player to break it up. Second,.. Izell Reese quite possibly made the worst play that we'll see all year. He watched the ball sailing in from the moment it left Leftwichs' hand and instead of breaking on it fast to break up the play...he just started jogging towards the Jax receiver and even had time to stutter step,,,,,,then he awkwardly mis-timed his jump and swatted at the ball like he was playing patty cake or something?!? It was weird. All he had to do was break on the ball QUICKLY instead of jogging and get his body between the ball and the wide receiver. I can't believe how badly Izell blew it. TKO was there but had his back to the play and Wire was coming in at a bad angle and couldn't reach in time. Izell probably puked when he saw the film.

I watched the last drive on Tivo again tonight.  Two observations after slowing everything down and watching it over and over and over...

1) Nate can say what he wants but he was not in position to bat down that 47 yard pass.  His momentum was taking him back to the goaline and Jimmy Smith had stopped and jumped back towards the ball. It was athletic for Nate to even get a hand in there, but no way could he have batted the ball down.

2) The TD catch in the back of the end zone was amazing on two fronts.  First, the 6'4" Jax receiver did not outleap anyone. That has been misreported how many times now? He caught the ball in his chest falling backwards...plenty low enough for even our shortest player to break it up.  Second,.. Izell Reese quite possibly made the worst play that we'll see all year.  He watched the ball sailing in from the moment it left Leftwichs' hand and instead of breaking on it fast to break up the play...he just started jogging towards the Jax receiver and even had time to stutter step,,,,,,then he awkwardly mis-timed his jump and swatted at the ball like he was playing patty cake or something?!?  It was weird.  All he had to do was break on the ball QUICKLY instead of jogging and get his body between the ball and the wide receiver. I can't believe how badly Izell blew it.  TKO was there but had his back to the play and Wire was coming in at a bad angle and couldn't reach in time. Izell probably puked when he saw the film.

31615[/snapback]

Interesting...did not get a chance to see both Plays that closely...Thanks for the report...Still sucks though... :D

After watching the endzone play myself , I saw it a little differently. Reese was correct in his approach in that he faced the qb as soon as possible, came across the FRONT of his body and took a swat at the ball, unfortunately resulting in a near miss. Takeo was turned around and didn't get to the spot in time to make a realistic play on the ball. Wire, while facing the ball was BEHIND the receiver and in absolutely no position to make any sort of play on the ball and did nothing contact wise to make any sort of impact on the result. Reese continues to show he is fairly competent at the safety position while Coy (I love the guy but.....) so far has shown zero improvement over his rookie season other than a few moments during the Colts preseason game.

Nate can say what he wants but he was not in position to bat down that 47 yard pass. His momentum was taking him back to the goaline and Jimmy Smith had stopped and jumped back towards the ball. It was athletic for Nate to even get a hand in there, but no way could he have batted the ball down.

That's what I thought when the play happened, that Clements' momentum and the crafty veteran help from JSmith had Nate reeling and he was just trying to use two hands to make the strongest play he could at that point.

But then when I heard that he said he was actually trying to pick it I figured 1)I was wrong, 2)he's out of his freakin tree and 3) somebody in that locker room bounced his face off a wall at least twice after the game.

Game is in the past folks.  Move onto Oakland.

31681[/snapback]

LOL, yea right!

If you don't analyze mistakes and learn from them, you're billsfanone to repeat them!

If we can't beat the teams that suck, we have no chance against better opponents!

We are 0-3 now. :D

After watching the endzone play myself , I saw it a little differently. Reese was correct in his approach in that he faced the qb as soon as possible, came across the FRONT of his body and took a swat at the ball, unfortunately resulting in a near miss. Takeo was turned around and didn't get to the spot in time to make a realistic play on the ball. Wire, while facing the ball was BEHIND the receiver and in absolutely no position to make any sort of play on the ball and did nothing contact wise to make any sort of impact on the result. 

31660[/snapback]

It's like the Zabruder film all over again!

After watching the endzone play myself , I saw it a little differently. Reese was correct in his approach in that he faced the qb as soon as possible, came across the FRONT of his body and took a swat at the ball, unfortunately resulting in a near miss. Takeo was turned around and didn't get to the spot in time to make a realistic play on the ball. Wire, while facing the ball was BEHIND the receiver and in absolutely no position to make any sort of play on the ball and did nothing contact wise to make any sort of impact on the result.  Reese continues to show he is fairly competent at the safety position while Coy (I love the guy but.....) so far has shown zero improvement over his rookie season other than a few moments during the Colts preseason game.

31660[/snapback]

I agree. I like wire but I think he looks WORSE than his rookie year. If Milloy is back there we win that game. :D

I watched the last drive on Tivo again tonight.  Two observations after slowing everything down and watching it over and over and over...

1) Nate can say what he wants but he was not in position to bat down that 47 yard pass.  His momentum was taking him back to the goaline and Jimmy Smith had stopped and jumped back towards the ball. It was athletic for Nate to even get a hand in there, but no way could he have batted the ball down.

2) The TD catch in the back of the end zone was amazing on two fronts.  First, the 6'4" Jax receiver did not outleap anyone. That has been misreported how many times now? He caught the ball in his chest falling backwards...plenty low enough for even our shortest player to break it up.  Second,.. Izell Reese quite possibly made the worst play that we'll see all year.  He watched the ball sailing in from the moment it left Leftwichs' hand and instead of breaking on it fast to break up the play...he just started jogging towards the Jax receiver and even had time to stutter step,,,,,,then he awkwardly mis-timed his jump and swatted at the ball like he was playing patty cake or something?!?  It was weird.  All he had to do was break on the ball QUICKLY instead of jogging and get his body between the ball and the wide receiver. I can't believe how badly Izell blew it.  TKO was there but had his back to the play and Wire was coming in at a bad angle and couldn't reach in time. Izell probably puked when he saw the film.

31615[/snapback]

Bad angle and Wire in the same sentence. Where have I heard that before. I watched it again, and he takes a bad angle on every play. Time to end the experiment. Get well soon, Lawyer!

Nate was in a bad position because he was trying to time his jump to intercept it. If his mindset was to bat the ball down like it was supposed to have been, like 99% of the players in the NFL would have done, even without the physical skills that he has, because it didnt take any speed, or savvy, or talent, or anything to get to that Hail Mary Pass, he would have easily knocked the ball away. Jimmy Smith beat him to the ball because they were both trying to time their jumps to catch it. If Nate would have done what I would have done, it was a simple play. He had two seconds to get there. An eternity.